E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
bgsmith progress thread

Well I've been lurking in the sub forum for quite some time now and I figured it was time I made a progress thread for myself. My workouts have been rather inconsistent lately due to a broken ankle suffered in February that I am currently rehabbing and now I've broken my little toe on my other foot (this shouldn't really affect me though).

Ok so I try to work out at least 4 times a week with my current workouts listed below (weights and reps are from this past week), no major leg work right now until my ankle is better, should be 100% in about a month. Being that I am rehabbing my ankle I am doing 15-20 minutes on an elliptical every day I go to the gym.

I am 5'8" and currently weigh 199lbs

As you can tell from my gut (pics below) I love to eat and drink, started a new diet as well, trying to cut down on carbs and junk food altogether and increase protein, although I am not going to drive myself nuts with it.

My main purpose for getting in shape is overall health (I am an out of shape fat ass) and I am doing the New England Tough Mudder this coming August.

Chest Day
Flat bench
6x135
6x185
8x205
6x225
4x225
8x185
135 as many as I can do

Decline Bench
8x135
8x185
8x205
4x205

Incline Bench
4 sets of 135x8

Machine Flys
4 sets 8-10 reps various weights

High Cable Crossovers
4 sets 10-12 reps each, increasing weight each set

Low Cable Crossovers
4 sets 10-12 reps each, increasing weight each set

Shoulders Day
Seated Dumbbell Press
6x65
8x75
8x75
6x85
8x50

Dumbbell front raises
10x35
10x40
10x40
8x45

Dumbbell side raises
10x30
10x30
10x35
10x35

Straight bar upright row
10x85
10x105
8x105
6x125

Dumbbell Shrugs
10x75
10x75
10x85
10x90

Seated Lateral Raises on machine (not sure what its called, reverse row if that makes sense)
4x10 increases weight each time

Back Day
Wide grip pulldowns
10x140
10x150
10x160
10x170

Close grip pulldowns
10x140
10x150
10x160
10x170

Pendalay Rows
10x135
10x135
10x135
10x135

Seated close grip row (cable machine)
4 sets of 10 increasing weight each set

No lower back this week due to time

Bis and Tris
Seated preacher curl
10x70
10x90
10x110
10x110

Standing dumbbell hammer curls
10x35
10x40
10x45
10x50

Cable Curls
4 sets of 10 increasing weight each time

Skull crushers followed by close grip bench
10x70
10x90
10x110
10x110

Cable push downs
4 sets of 10 increasing weight each time

Pics
4/13/13

4/20/13

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-20-2013 at 06:20 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
came in expecting pics

leaving this thread while sitting in a puddle
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: ...a stairclimber!
I am excited to see how your body changes as you take advice from those who only have your best interest in mind, and make your health and fitness a priority. We're in your corner man. Get it done!

P.S. I won't pick apart your entire workout, but ditch the decline bench presses, and ditch the misc weight on your flat bench. If you can press 225 lbs., stick with that rather than 135 lbs. here and 205 there. It's a waste of time. I'd also ditch a lot of the crossover work at this point. Get some barbell work in for those shoulders and ditch some of the misc dumbbell work. The same applies to your back. Get some barbell rows in the mix dude. Stop drinking, cut out the sugars and ration those carbs. Keep us posted.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-21-2013 at 01:17 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I am excited to see how your body changes as you take advice from those who only have your best interest in mind, and make your health and fitness a priority. We're in your corner man. Get it done!

P.S. I won't pick apart your entire workout, but ditch the decline bench presses, and ditch the misc weight on your flat bench. If you can press 225 lbs., stick with that rather than 135 lbs. here and 205 there. It's a waste of time. I'd also ditch a lot of the crossover work at this point. Get some barbell work in for those shoulders and ditch some of the misc dumbbell work. The same applies to your back. Get some barbell rows in the mix dude. Stop drinking, cut out the sugars and ration those carbs. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look to add some more barbell work. Just getting back into serious lifting since my ankle is getting better, not that easy to do any type of heavy barbell work on your feet when one leg is garbage. Adding squats, dead lifts, and additional leg work will also make a big difference once I'm fully rehabbed.

As far as the diet is concerned I've made some major changes, trying to cut out most breads/carbs, and I've pretty much eliminated all procesed sugars. The drinking is more of a social thing on weekends, used to be a much bigger drinker when I was younger.

Also I'm not looking to get completely ripped or anything, I just don't have the body type for it, just looking to get healthier.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
bgsmith

Diet

Here is my new diet, only thing I need suggestions on is breakfast as I have never been a breakfast eater, my mother used to have to force feed me as a kid as I just can't eat in the morning. She finally gave up and would give me breakfast shakes. Any suggestions on a good meal replacement drink for in the mornings? I take a daily multi vitamin and a calcium supplement.

Here is my diet, I pretty much eat the same thing everyday so its easy for me to watch what I eat:

Lunch
Turkey and Cheese wrap w/mustard and pickles
2-3 Clementines
Baby Carrots

Daily Snacks
More baby Carrots
granola bars

Dinner
8 oz of chicken breasts pan cooked in extra virgin olive oil and seasoned (usually old bay)
Some type of vegetable (usually steam in bag variety as I don't get home until 9pm and I am not spending forever on prepping my meal)

Nightly Snack
chocolate rice cakes and peanut butter

Weekend Lunches/snacks
Plain tuna in water
Baby carrots
Pretzels
more chocolate rice cakes and peanut butter

Other snacks I have in the house are pretzels and almonds, also I pretty much exclusively drink water, will occasionally have coke mixed with whiskey, otherwise I never drink soda.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
5Serious

My Ride: 2002 525i
I've always been the same way. I really suck at eating breakfast. My body just doesn't like it for some reason. I've been force feeding myself liquid eggs and some shredded cheese I throw in the microwave with toast on the side. It's quick and provides a decent start for my body. When I can't even look at food in the morning (have terrible hangovers) I just drink a muscle milk. Sams club buy bulk. Can't beat it from my experiences. I'm sure others have better suggestions but muscle milk fills me up well. Just my 2c

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

Last edited by 5Serious; 04-21-2013 at 11:41 AM.
5Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Despite what most doctors / nutritionists etc. will tell you, breakfast is completely unnecessary. I am the same as you guys in regards to it not feeling natural and I haven't ate "breakfast" in the traditional sense (right after waking) in almost a year. I eat two meals a day from 12-8 with a shake post workout when I train. I don't foresee this ever changing, it feels "right".

Bgsmith have you given my stickied thread a read? It would help if you knew your rough daily calorie and protein targets. You seem like the kind of guy who can eat the same things, so if you knew the calorie and protein makeup of a typical day then you would know what to expect weight loss wise. It's great you've cut down on refined carbs however if you are still eating more calories than you burn you won't be cutting!

Wish you a speedy recovery with the ankle issues
Old 04-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Despite what most doctors / nutritionists etc. will tell you, breakfast is completely unnecessary. I am the same as you guys in regards to it not feeling natural and I haven't ate "breakfast" in the traditional sense (right after waking) in almost a year. I eat two meals a day from 12-8 with a shake post workout when I train. I don't foresee this ever changing, it feels "right".

Bgsmith have you given my stickied thread a read? It would help if you knew your rough daily calorie and protein targets. You seem like the kind of guy who can eat the same things, so if you knew the calorie and protein makeup of a typical day then you would know what to expect weight loss wise. It's great you've cut down on refined carbs however if you are still eating more calories than you burn you won't be cutting!

Wish you a speedy recovery with the ankle issues
In doing some quick math it looks like I am consuming right around 2000 calories a day, per the above diet. Per the link supplied on your thread my TDEE would be abut 2800 calories being moderately active (not exactly sure what that means).

I am going to stick with my planned diet and see how it works out for a few weeks, I've read through your thread on several occasions and it is full of great info will definitely use it as a guide.

I think once I am 100% with the ankle I should be able to easily shed some weight with my workouts, I was a runner in high school a hundred years ago, and had just gotten back into running before I broke my ankle, nothing crazy 2-3 miles a day 4 days a week, but I got injured before I could really get into decent running shape.

As far as gaining muscle and strength that will come with my current weight workouts, as I said above I am going to add more barbell work to my routine and try to stay away from dumbbells. I have a pretty broad/stocky build and have been and athlete and or worked out pretty much my whole life, its just over the past couple year I've gotten away from going to the gym.

Like I've said I don't have any specific goals that I want to achieve, weight loss, strength gain, etc. I just want to get rid of some of the spare tire and just be a more healthy person.

As I mentioned before I was a runner and pretty serious athlete in the past (sub 5 minute mile, 17 minute 5K) and I know getting back there isn't realistic, but I would like to be able to walk a few flights of steps without being winded.

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Dude you'll look pretty damn solid once you lose some fat. You have a really good base there.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
In doing some quick math it looks like I am consuming right around 2000 calories a day, per the above diet. Per the link supplied on your thread my TDEE would be abut 2800 calories being moderately active (not exactly sure what that means).

I am going to stick with my planned diet and see how it works out for a few weeks, I've read through your thread on several occasions and it is full of great info will definitely use it as a guide.

I think once I am 100% with the ankle I should be able to easily shed some weight with my workouts, I was a runner in high school a hundred years ago, and had just gotten back into running before I broke my ankle, nothing crazy 2-3 miles a day 4 days a week, but I got injured before I could really get into decent running shape.

As far as gaining muscle and strength that will come with my current weight workouts, as I said above I am going to add more barbell work to my routine and try to stay away from dumbbells. I have a pretty broad/stocky build and have been and athlete and or worked out pretty much my whole life, its just over the past couple year I've gotten away from going to the gym.

Like I've said I don't have any specific goals that I want to achieve, weight loss, strength gain, etc. I just want to get rid of some of the spare tire and just be a more healthy person.

As I mentioned before I was a runner and pretty serious athlete in the past (sub 5 minute mile, 17 minute 5K) and I know getting back there isn't realistic, but I would like to be able to walk a few flights of steps without being winded.
I like to use sedentary since I have a desk job & workout with heavy weights only 3x a week. On the days I play hockey, do hot yoga, etc. I just add the estimated calories burned to my total alotted for the day. Those activity multipliers should only be used if you have a physically demanding job / high level of exercise in my opinion.

And hey, it wouldn't be crazy to think you can get at least close to where you were! Age is just a number
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
I am not as smart as these guys but I was in a similar situation to you a year and a half ago. 5-11, 226 at one point. Now I stay about 175 +/-. They keys for me were tracking. Track your food, track your workouts. Can you seriously eat that food day in day out for eternity? I use weight watchers but there are other options. You have to focus on a lifestyle change not a DIET. Diets are temporary. You are still going to have a few drinks on the weekend. Now I run a lot. I am doing a Spartan race saturday.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Dude you'll look pretty damn solid once you lose some fat. You have a really good base there.
Yeah I am not new to working out or being athletic, I have just let myself go over the past few years.

Now that I have a plan in place I just need to get my ankle 100%.

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-22-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
bgsmith

Quote:
I like to use sedentary since I have a desk job & workout with heavy weights only 3x a week. On the days I play hockey, do hot yoga, etc. I just add the estimated calories burned to my total alotted for the day. Those activity multipliers should only be used if you have a physically demanding job / high level of exercise in my opinion.

And hey, it wouldn't be crazy to think you can get at least close to where you were! Age is just a number
Yeah I'll have to redo this, I have a desk job as well, to be honest when I added up what I was eating it was more like 1700 calories, but that wasn't that detailed of an analysis of my diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
I am not as smart as these guys but I was in a similar situation to you a year and a half ago. 5-11, 226 at one point. Now I stay about 175 +/-. They keys for me were tracking. Track your food, track your workouts. Can you seriously eat that food day in day out for eternity? I use weight watchers but there are other options. You have to focus on a lifestyle change not a DIET. Diets are temporary. You are still going to have a few drinks on the weekend. Now I run a lot. I am doing a Spartan race saturday.
Yeah I need to get back into running, it's just tough since I ran 3 seasons a year in high school my junior and senior year and pretty much learned to hate it besides racing, yeah that was a long time ago and I need to just get back out there and run. As if now I am signed up for a 3.5 mile race in June and a Tough Mudder in August.

As far as the diet is concerned I've been eating like this for quite some time regarding my meals, I just need to adjust my snacks.

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-22-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
bgsmith

I need some suggestions for any chest exercises besides bench, dumbells flys, and cable work, anything else I can add to my routine?

As suggested I might cut some of the cable work.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
dabears

pushups and/or dips (if your shoulders allow it)
Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
bgsmith

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-22-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
dabears

no good?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
DylloS

All I think you need are these in
Pretty much any combination. Flat, incline, dips, push ups, flies. I put those in order of what I think would be best
Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
bgsmith

Quote:
no good?
My phone double posted for some odd reason. And thanks for the replies, just wasn't sure if there was anything else out there for chest.

Solly that's pretty much the routine I follow now, minus the dips.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
My phone double posted for some odd reason. And thanks for the replies, just wasn't sure if there was anything else out there for chest.

Solly that's pretty much the routine I follow now, minus the dips.
Are you going to add them?