E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Are you going to add them?
Yup, see below
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
bgsmith

Chest day today, wasn't feeling great but tried to go as heavy as I could.

Flat bench
10x185
8x205
4x225
3x225

Incline Bench (need to work on this)
10x135
7x155
5x155
4x155

Dips (non weighted just my fat ass)
Set of 7
Set of 6
Set of 5
Set of 6

Dumbbell flys
10x30
10x35
8x40
8x45

20 minutes on the elliptical for cardio/ankle rehab
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
bgsmith

Shoulders today, I need some suggestions on exercises here, the below barbell press and upright rows were done on a non counterbalanced smith machine.

Barbell press
10x95
10x115
8x125
6x135

Upright barbell row
10x85
10x105
8x125
6x135

Dumbell shrugs
10x75
10x85
8x95
6x105

Dumbell front raises
10x35
10x40
8x40
8x45

20 minutes on the elliptical

After cardio I did 3 sets of standing barbell press (6x95) just to get the feeling for the motion and to test my ankle, realized I can't put heavy weight on the ankle yet.

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I would have broken up shoulders and chest by more than a day.

If I were ever to do a dedicated shoulder workout it would be something like this

over head press
clean and press
Front raises
Side raises
Kb swings America version

Sucks you can put heavy weight on the ankle yet. What you did is fine I'm sure.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-23-2013 at 07:47 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
bgsmith

Quote:
I would have broken up shoulders and chest by more than a day.

If I were ever to do a dedicated shoulder workout it would be something like this

over head press
clean and press
Front raises
Side raises
Kb swings America version

Sucks you can put heavy weight on the ankle yet. What you did is fine I'm sure.

Yeah I definitely need to split up shoulders and chest, and I would love to add clean and press but need to wait on my ankle to be 100%.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Front delts get hit with chest hard. With a shoulder workout you should have at least 4-5 sets for mid delts, 4-5 sets for rear delts.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #27
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Front delts get hit with chest hard. With a shoulder workout you should have at least 4-5 sets for mid delts, 4-5 sets for rear delts.
Why? These numbers are just arbitrary bs. I know it seems like I may attack you in every thread but it's only because you always post things as fact with no explanation.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-24-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #28
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
bench + dips + ohp + barbell / pendlay (even better for rear delt) rows

all heads shall be hit, among other things
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
bgsmith

No offense z00 but from reading through the threads around here it seems you have made quite a reputation for yourself, that coupled with the fact that I have probably been going to the gym almost as long as you've been alive means I am going to take your advise with a grain of salt.

Next shoulder day
Seated OHP
Upright barbell rows
Some type of shrugs
Front raises
Side raises
Standing OHP press depending on how the ankle feels

Back day today
Might attempt some very light DL depending on the ankle
Barbell/Pendalay rows
Pull ups or machine pull downs (wide grip and close grip)
Some type of close grip ro
Some type of rear delt fly (dumbells it machine)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #30
dabears

interested to hear about deadlifts, given the ankle has to bend so the shin can make contact with the bar... if its light I bet that could be decent rehab as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #31
z00

Quote:
Why? These numbers are just arbitrary bs. I know it seems like I may attack you in every thread but it's only because you always post things as fact with no explanation.
I did give arbitrary numbers, the point was that mid and rear delts need to be hit enough. I mean it makes no freaking sense to be focusing on front delts and ignoring equally important rear and mid delts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
No offense z00 but from reading through the threads around here it seems you have made quite a reputation for yourself, that coupled with the fact that I have probably been going to the gym almost as long as you've been alive means I am going to take your advise with a grain of salt.
Take the advice you want, just think twice before taking any advice whether it's rational or not. Go checkout any balanced shoulder workout online, it'll have mid and rear delts.

As far as my reputation, I'm proud of it as I don't follow and take advice blindly. Some people dislike to be criticised or questioned here. Thank the lawd for critical thinking
Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #32
dabears

given how small the shoulder muscle is, and how compound pushing exercises like the bench press & overhead press work the front/mid head, and how compound pulling exercises like barbell rows work the rear head... I don't understand the need to a) have a shoulder day and b) have separate workouts to isolate each head... my "minimalistic" 2c

and z00, one of my favorite things to do in life is "question everything". It is a great habit to have. But your approach needs work, because when you "question everything" the wrong way, you can come across as rude, offensive, a know it all, etc. If someone is giving advice that you don't agree with, you should never say "thats wrong / that doesn't make sense / that can't be right" (a negative approach) you should ask them "why is that?" and get them to start explaining... have a conversation about it. Let them know your thoughts on why you don't agree with them in a positive way.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #33
DylloS

Quote:
I did give arbitrary numbers, the point was that mid and rear delts need to be hit enough. I mean it makes no freaking sense to be focusing on front delts and ignoring equally important rear and mid delts.

Take the advice you want, just think twice before taking any advice whether it's rational or not. Go checkout any balanced shoulder workout online, it'll have mid and rear delts.

As far as my reputation, I'm proud of it as I don't follow and take advice blindly. Some people dislike to be criticised or questioned here. Thank the lawd for critical thinking
You're not ignoring them. Critical thinking, not the Z00 method of fitness
Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
z00

So if they're not being ignored, when do you work out mid and rear delts?

Quote:
You're not ignoring them. Critical thinking, not the Z00 method of fitness
Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #35
bgsmith

This has turned into a mess, z00 go back to my original workouts and look at my shoulder routine, I am hitting everything with the exercises I was doing, only changes I am going to make are to focus more on barbell lifts first then work on more specialized exercises.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
interested to hear about deadlifts, given the ankle has to bend so the shin can make contact with the bar... if its light I bet that could be decent rehab as well.
I was thinking the same thing, the ankle is pretty much fully healed and I have full range if motion, hell it was never that bad to begin with I did a snowboard run on it, I just need to rebuild the strength in it and my lower leg. Just being careful in doing so as I don't want to rush into things and re injure myself.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #37
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:

I think that it is highly comical that you, being the weakest, scrawniest person on this forum, has the gall to even suggest that your advice is better/more cohesive and/or more intellectually sound than others who have the experience (..and the physiques) to support their advice.

P.S. Stop tooting your own horn. You are NOT a critical thinker. You are a "gym clinician" who is destined to be a runt for the remainder of your days.

bgsmith,

You seem wise enough to be able to deduce whose information is fundamentally sound and whose isn't (..or whose approach will net very little gain compared to other proven methods). Listen to the top 6-7 guys here and you will get the results that you desire (..with a little bit of time and patience).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-24-2013 at 11:41 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #38
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I think that it is highly comical that you, being the weakest, scrawniest person on this forum, has the gall to even suggest that your advice is better/more cohesive and/or more intellectually sound than others who have the experience (..and the physiques) to support their advice.

P.S. Stop tooting your own horn. You are NOT a critical thinker. You are a "gym clinician" who is destined to be a runt for the remainder of your days.

bgsmith,

You seem wise enough to be able to deduce whose information is fundamentally sound and whose isn't (..or whose approach will net very little gain compared to other proven methods). Listen to the top 6-7 guys here and you will get the results that you desire (..with a little bit of time and patience).
Oh I realized all this before I even made this thread, like I have said I am not new to lifting, and while I have had some guidance/coaching in the past I am basically self taught. I am mainly looking for some new lifts and some tips on diet and form.

However the main purpose of this thread is to motivate myself through tracking my progress. I've been on the forums long enough to know who around here knows what the hell they are talking about and who to listen to.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #39
DylloS

Quote:
So if they're not being ignored, when do you work out mid and rear delts?
Look at dabears post. My mid delts are now some of the most pronounced and I have never done anything but a few weeks of side raises before going back my other lifting.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #40
z00

Rear delts?

Quote:
Look at dabears post. My mid delts are now some of the most pronounced and I have never done anything but a few weeks of side raises before going back my other lifting.