E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #41
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
You give me good fuel for my front squats today, I see what you did there. I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I think that it is highly comical that you, being the weakest, scrawniest person on this forum, has the gall to even suggest that your advice is better/more cohesive and/or more intellectually sound than others who have the experience (..and the physiques) to support their advice.

P.S. Stop tooting your own horn. You are NOT a critical thinker. You are a "gym clinician" who is destined to be a runt for the remainder of your days.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #42
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I think z00 will get his numbers / physique to an impressionable level despite his shortcomings (based on his workouts & food logs), but that he should shift some focus to work on his social skills / attitude.

sorry to bgsmith that his thread got off topic... it happens (I have pictures of a half naked guy in mine, discussing glute striations.....).
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #43
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
I don't mind at all, maybe one day I'll get to cross paths with the great z00 being that I live in Boston.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #44
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
I don't mind at all, maybe one day I'll get to cross paths with the great z00 being that I live in Boston.
Please take lots of pictures when it happens.

z00, I performed an Inception on you too.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-24-2013 at 03:18 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #45
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Rear delts?

Rear delts are not only put into use on "shoulder day" man. Rear delts are used when you bench press, when you dead lift, when you do any type of row, when you pull-up/chin-up, etc. You are far too myopic in your scope when it comes to lifting.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #46
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Rear delts?
Quote:
Rear delts are not only put into use on "shoulder day" man. Rear delts are used when you bench press, when you dead lift, when you do any type of row, when you pull-up/chin-up, etc. You are far too myopic in your scope when it comes to lifting.
my rear delts get hammered from heavy and higher rep deads. That are just being pulled by the weight. It may be the single most painful part when blowing through a bunch of sets of 225x10 deadlifts then RDL's.

My friend that is new to lifting that comes by now asked me if I feel it differently because of my over under grip and I told him each side feels exactly the same which you would think would be difference since the arm is turned a different way.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-24-2013 at 03:49 PM.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #47
z00

Quote:
Sure man, should def plan to either go workout or do some active sports sometime that the freaking weather is getting nicer. Do you do any sports beside working out? I'm into mountain biking, tennis, soccer, and open to try new sports. Which gym do you go to?

Quote:
z00, I performed an Inception on you too.
It's not the first time

Quote:
Maybe it's just my personal experience, but after I had my rotator cuff injuries and I started paying attention to my rear delts, it was the only time I could progress in other exercises (dips, bench, pullups, etc...) so I cringe whenever I see people don't pay attention to rear delts. 14 months ago I could only do 2 dips (had shoulder pain after), now 15reps with 30lbs. Thank the lawd for showing me rear delts workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
my rear delts get hammered from heavy and higher rep deads. That are just being pulled by the weight. It may be the single most painful part when blowing through a bunch of sets of 225x10 deadlifts then RDL's.

My friend that is new to lifting that comes by now asked me if I feel it differently because of my over under grip and I told him each side feels exactly the same which you would think would be difference since the arm is turned a different way.
I do 225x8 DLs and I know what you're saying. On a shoulder day rear delts need to be isolated and hit. It does not matter if it gets hit as a secondary muscle from compound lifts. We can argue all day long, any balanced shoulder workout will have 1-2 exercises for rear delts. Otherwise it won't be balanced. If a person is only doing compound workouts then that's a different story (like you). My .02 cents.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #48
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I think z00 will get his numbers / physique to an impressionable level despite his shortcomings (based on his workouts & food logs), but that he should shift some focus to work on his social skills / attitude.

sorry to bgsmith that his thread got off topic... it happens (I have pictures of a half naked guy in mine, discussing glute striations.....).
Man you read me well. I'm the direct honest type of person. Even at work I get that I intimidate or make people feel uneasy because of my no BS attitude.

My social skills could take some improvements. I'm an introvert, and I have zero tolerance for people especially irrational ones.

Indeed we derailed this thread. But we'll get it back on track bgsmith .
Old 04-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #49
M3Inline6

Quote:
Maybe it's just my personal experience, but after I had my rotator cuff injuries and I started paying attention to my rear delts, it was the only time I could progress in other exercises (dips, bench, pullups, etc...) so I cringe whenever I see people don't pay attention to rear delts. 14 months ago I could only do 2 dips (had shoulder pain after), now 15reps with 30lbs. Thank the lawd for showing me rear delts workouts.

You always make this same statement. It's ridiculous!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #50
z00

Quote:
You always make this same statement. It's ridiculous!
True story bro. Do I need to show you my shoulder xrays? It took me 6 months of physical therapy to be able to lift light weights, another 6 months to fully recover and not have the shoulder again.

Although before when I did not know anything about lifting I was only doing typical stuff like chest/arms/back without any compound movements. My rear delts were very weak. Once I paid attention to them I was able to move on. Thanks to this forum I learned so much in the past 1-2 years.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #51
bgsmith

OK **** my ankle, no more uses it as an excuse, jumped right in with DLs in my back workout and they felt great, could have gone heavier but I've had lower back issues in the past and didn't want to over do it.

DL
95 10 (testing out form and the ankle)
135 10
185 10
205 8

Pendlay row
95 10
125 8
135 8
155 6

Wide grip pull down (need to start doing pull-ups w/my fat ass)
130 10
140 10
150 8
160 6

Close grip pull downs
130 8
140 8
150 8
160 6

And for z00 4 sets of rear delt rows on a machine, would have gone dumbells but I was spent at this point

20 minutes on the elliptical

Last edited by bgsmith; 04-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #52
DylloS

Quote:
Sure man, should def plan to either go workout or do some active sports sometime that the freaking weather is getting nicer. Do you do any sports beside working out? I'm into mountain biking, tennis, soccer, and open to try new sports. Which gym do you go to?

It's not the first time

I do 225x8 DLs and I know what you're saying. On a shoulder day rear delts need to be isolated and hit. It does not matter if it gets hit as a secondary muscle from compound lifts. We can argue all day long, any balanced shoulder workout will have 1-2 exercises for rear delts. Otherwise it won't be balanced. If a person is only doing compound workouts then that's a different story (like you). My .02 cents.
Lol I don't do anything for rear delts at all and I can do ring dips till I poop my pants. There's nothing about doing real delts that helped that. What rear delt work would you suggest to someone
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #53
DylloS

Quote:
OK **** my ankle, no more uses it as an excuse, jumped right in with DLs in my back workout and they felt great, could have gone heavier but I've had lower back issues in the past and didn't want to over do it.

DL
95 10 (testing out form and the ankle)
135 10
185 10
205 8

Pendlay row
95 10
125 8
135 8
155 6

Wide grip pull down (need to start doing pull-ups w/my fat ass)
130 10
140 10
150 8
160 6

Close grip pull downs
130 8
140 8
150 8
160 6

And for z00 4 sets of rear delt rows on a machine, would have gone dumbells but I was spent at this point

20 minutes on the elliptical
Nice man. Do they have that assisted machine for pull ups?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #54
bgsmith

Quote:
Nice man. Do they have that assisted machine for pull ups?
Yup, someone was on it, hope to use it next back workout. I mean I can probably do 6-8 pull-ups, I have a pull-up bar in my apartment, just need to incorporate them into my workout.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #55
z00

I do 2-3 exercises (2 to 3 sets each) of rear delts per week. Could be done in the same workout session or in different ones. I vary the exercises. But here is a few:

1- Reverse incline DB bench. Sit with chest on bench, do opposite of a fly. Start with light weights to get used to it.

2- Seated DB lateral raises, be sure to lean forward.

3- inverse chest flyes on pec machine, usually there is a separate handle for rear delts, movement starts with hand together infront of you as opposed to a pec fly

For more isolation:

4- One arm cable lateral raises. Be sure to pull to infront of you to focus on rear delt otherwise you would be working out side delts.

5- Wide grip rows, with a wide grip you'll be able to only bring the bar up to your chest, I avoid close grip grows because it puts the shoulder joint in a bad position.

#1 and #5 are my favorite that I do most of the time. Do some of the above and tell me you feel the burn in your rear delts like you feel it in a compound exercise.

Quote:
Lol I don't do anything for rear delts at all and I can do ring dips till I poop my pants. There's nothing about doing real delts that helped that. What rear delt work would you suggest to someone
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #56
z00

bgsmith, if you have a pullup bar at home and you're still not strong enough to do body weight. A good way that made me stronger with pullups way back when I had a pullup bar at home:

-put a chair and do negatives.
- push yourself up till your chin clears the bar
-get legs off chair
-hold still as long as you can
-then lower yourself
repeat

Do this as often as you can when at home, your numbers will improve.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #57
bgsmith

Quote:
bgsmith, if you have a pullup bar at home and you're still not strong enough to do body weight. A good way that made me stronger with pullups way back when I had a pullup bar at home:

-put a chair and do negatives.
- push yourself up till your chin clears the bar
-get legs off chair
-hold still as long as you can
-then lower yourself
repeat

Do this as often as you can when at home, your numbers will improve.
I can do pull-ups, like I said I can do 6, 8 on a good day, I just need to incorporate them into my workout. It's just disheartening that I used to weigh 150 lbs years ago and could do 20 no problem, now at 200 lbs 8 is a good day.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #58
z00

pullups and chinsups are awesome. A good measure of strength.

Quote:
I can do pull-ups, like I said I can do 6, 8 on a good day, I just need to incorporate them into my workout. It's just disheartening that I used to weigh 150 lbs years ago and could do 20 no problem, now at 200 lbs 8 is a good day.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #59
bgsmith

My pulling lifts have always been a lot weaker than my presses, hopefully more intense back workouts (barbell rows and DLs) will help this.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #60
bgsmith

Just realized I don't look half bad after some cropping, a little hairy but that's my genetics. Maybe I'll just get liposuction.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	502283