E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
FcBarcelona

My Ride: 325ci
Coolant/Overheating

So i bought the xi a few weeks ago. The top hose was leaking and got that fixed. But the coolant symbol kept coming on and the coolant kept going out from somewhere but I didn't see any leak from anywhere and just kept adding coolant.

I was driving on the turnpike and then I noticed the car overheating rapidly till the red mark, I pulled over and I noticed coolant was everywhere under the...I mean everywhere. And there was smoke coming out from under the hood.

I believe its a hose/thermostat or something...what do you guys think....

I had to drive the car around a mile to park it at a safe place...and then I had it towed to my house...

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
FcBarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Expansion tank probably... How many miles do you have on it?

Cooling system is a weak spot on these...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Expansion tank probably... How many miles do you have on it?

Cooling system is a weak spot on these...
I have 104k....it was bound to happen

But why a week after I buy the car :'(

Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FcBarcelona View Post
I have 104k....it was bound to happen

But why a week after I buy the car :'(

Because... Your car knows...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Because... Your car knows...
I told him i was gonna treat him right

lol but man..just gonna have to deal with the cooling system, before i stance it out...

Keep hitting road blocks
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Probably blew out the rad cap. Most likely need a new waterpump.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
adrian8507

My Ride: E46 325xi 2002
Does your car overheats when is stopped or while is in motion??

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Bimmer App
adrian8507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
adrian8507

My Ride: E46 325xi 2002
Take a look at your fanclutch make sure u can not stop it with ur hands, when engine is on, and u should overhaul ur cooling system . Be carefull if u overheat ur engine more than once . U could easly blow up ur head gasket .

adrian8507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
FcBarcelona

Yeah I think ima go ahead and change thermostat, water pump, and expansion tank. But I first need to find the real problem lol.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Change out you upper and lower hoses, your expansion tank cap, in addition to your items stated, the thermostat, WP, & Exp. Tank.

Check your radiator at the upper left corner near Exp tank.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
kaliboii

My Ride: 99' 323i
Coolant/Overheating

If your considering changing out all those parts. Just go ahead and overhaul your system

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Definitely diagnose the problem before just throwing parts at it. All of that stuff may be due but you need to find the culprit first. Fill it up with water to find the leak. No sense dumping more antifreeze on the ground. Then go ahead and do a cooling system overhaul. Never drive it in the red or damage will occur. A tow truck is cheaper than an engine. If its in an unsafe spot start it and get it moving and shut it off and coast. Repeat. Even that may do damage but an engine is cheaper than your life.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
just replace the entire system. I just did the cooling system overhaul, OFHG and CCV. It's worth all doing at once and the parts will be a bit under 800.

Joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
bmwbob89

Always diagnose the problem first or expect the problem to still be there when your done. It does not take long or even cost anything to diagnose it. It could be an engine problem and be worth fixing. If you spend a bunch of money on parts you've dug a bigger hole.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian8507 View Post
Take a look at your fanclutch make sure u can not stop it with ur hands, when engine is on...
Okay, that's dangerous. The fan will shred your hand attempting to stall it when running. A failed clutch should not cause coolant to blow as the aux electric fan will come on preventing overheat. Clutched fans are only on the Steptronic cars and rarely fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
Definitely diagnose the problem before just throwing parts at it...
Well, that's good advise for troubleshooting engine problems but in this case, a complete cooling system replacement is in order. Water pump, hoses and a new expansion tank are on the must have list. Belts, pulleys and the tensioner are often changed out depending on condition.

The "weak link" must be quickly corrected as pegging the temp can cause severe damage blowing head gaskets, warping the head, pulling head bolts out etc. This can happen within a few seconds when total loss of coolant occurs. This is not to be messed with troubleshooting to see if it comes back. Change out the parts and buy yourself another hundred thousand miles of peace of mind.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 04-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.
White_Knuckles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
bmwbob89

I said to replace it all after you diagnose the leak:
Then go ahead and do a cooling system overhaul.
I did not say to drive it. Just find the leak before you throw a pile of parts at the car. I always like to know the enemy.

Last edited by bmwbob89; 04-21-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
FcBarcelona

Thanks guys, I'm taking it all in! Tomorrow my mechanic is coming to check it out, hoping for the best.

I will post the autopsy tomorrow :'(

Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
chilone

My Ride: 04 330xi, 97 Miata
One thing to check considering you opened the system and had a leak: These systems are rather difficult to bleed. If you have air in the system, you will have overheating issues. I had to have my system refilled under vacuum (specialty machine) when I did an overhaul for that very reason. Once we filled it like that, voila. Cool as a cucumber.
chilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian8507 View Post
Take a look at your fanclutch make sure u can not stop it with ur hands, when engine is on, and u should overhaul ur cooling system . Be carefull if u overheat ur engine more than once . U could easly blow up ur head gasket .

Umm...I would most definitely NOT do this. Would you stick your hand in your lawn mower blade path to see if it's working? Same thing. Besides, what do you think will happen if the fan clutch is in fact working fine?

Fan clutches do fail but seeing as though the OP overheated the car while driving, I'm guessing it's not the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilone View Post
One thing to check considering you opened the system and had a leak: These systems are rather difficult to bleed. If you have air in the system, you will have overheating issues. I had to have my system refilled under vacuum (specialty machine) when I did an overhaul for that very reason. Once we filled it like that, voila. Cool as a cucumber.
It's not bad at all to bleed the system. Just follow instructions online and it'll be done in 10mins tops.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
FcBarcelona

Alright guys i found out the problem

Last Wednesday when i changed my front axles i told the guy to check my coolant level, it was low so he added some. But when he put the cap back on it wasn't as tight as it should have been. So on Sunday my thermostat gave out and the pressure caused the coolant to pop right out through the cap. I knew the blast was from the right side since the cushioning under the hood was mostly wet from that side.

So basically i have to change my thermostat, the piece was 125 and my boy who's a mechanic is only charging my 50 for labor. Luckily no harm to the head gasket at all.

Thanks for all your input, i will definitely look back on this post when i decide to give my cooling system a full overhaul!