E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
jwbeck17

My Ride: 2005 330xi
2005 330xi ATF Fluid/filter Change Issue

I was doing my first ATF fluid and filter change on my 330xi at 106,000. (I bought it at 104,000, so I am going through all the fluid changes.) I know the xi had the GM tranny, but when I looked for the full plug, I was looking for a torx head bolt on the side above the pan. Instead, I noticed a 17mm hex head, no torx (torx on drain plug though). I had sprayed some penetrant to loosen, but then stripped the bolt.

Is this the right bolt or did someone helicoil this thing?

Glad I tried to take the full bolt off first!

Any expertise on the xi would be appreciated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jwbeck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
jwbeck17

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366558259.557223.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	501611

You can see the bolt on the side above the drain plug. (Drain plug is not leaking, btw. It is just penetrant spray.)

Old 04-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
jwbeck17

I dug into this a little more and have found the fill plug, and it's not what I thought it was. Apparently it is in a different place on xi models with the same GM transmission due to the drive shaft placement. It's located on the driver's side to the front. How did I miss it? There was a white sticker covering over the full plug. It was dirty enough that it didn't look like a sticker until I wiped it off. I peeled off the sticker and there it was. See the pic with the sticker pulled off next to the fill plug:

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366571488.478104.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	501650

Now here's the issue. The drive shaft is directly next to it:

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366571538.078159.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	501651

To get to it, I'll need to remove an end of the drive shaft by the transfer case:

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366571596.445290.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	501653

So I guess I'll be shopping for some torx socket bits!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbeck17 View Post
I dug into this a little more and have found the fill plug, ... It's located on the driver's side to the front.
So I guess I'll be shopping for some torx socket bits!
If I recall correctly, the 4 "inverted torx" sockets are M12 and take 52 ft-lbs of torque. Yes, you have to remove the driveshaft at the transfer case. That's the way I've done it, twice now. I've seen the plug on the caty-corner side and wondered if it was an alternate fill point. I guess not.

It might be a good idea to match-mark the driveshaft before disconnecting from the transfer case. I'm not sure that is required but it won't hurt.

What kind of fluid are you going to use?
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
jwbeck17

Before I go the route of removing the front driveshaft, I'm going to try an L-shaped torx wrench I have on order. If that fails, I'll go the drive shaft removal process and will take your suggestion about marking up the connection to keep in sync.

As for fluid, I've got Redline D4.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
... L-shaped torx ...

... Redline D4.
30k miles on my D4 fluid.

If you don't have to remove the driveshaft, that's great. Be sure to share your experience.
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
mmaldin

My Ride: '04 325xit '94 325i
When I did mine, I used a a star hex (torx) bit, see attached, and placed the bit in the drain bolt and then turned it with a crescent wrench. Worked perfectly in that tight space. No need to drop drive shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Star Hex bits.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	501971  
mmaldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
jwbeck17

That set looks like a good idea. One thing for others to be aware though. Those are screwdriver or drill bits, so they tend not to be long, and have a hex body shape. Great for this application. However if you get a torx socket bit set, that can be an issue, as the base is long and round to fit around a socket, but won't fit in the drain plug area.

I just got my L-shaped torx wrench set, so I'm going to try that first, but this makes a good backup option before getting the driveshaft involved.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
jwbeck17

Completed the work yesterday. The l-shaped T40 torx wrench was still too long, so I went to the hardware store and got a T40 torx screwdriver/drill bit (they only had the security version, but it still works) and I got a 1/4" ratchet wrench. I was able to barely slide the bit in with the round ratchet part of the wrench slid overtop. I was able to pop the fill plug loose (thought I had stripped it, but no), then got to my business. For others, you don't need a ratchet version as you just need a bit and 1/4" wrench to break the seal, then it unscrews by hand.

The rest of the steps in the DIY on this site were right on. Only nuances I ran into were:

- dropped the pan removing it from the transmission. Minor mess, but no problem.
- biggest pain was getting the tranny hot, then trying to get the fill plug back in with fluid running out. The tight space, hot and slippery fluid was really problematic, but it got done.

Original fluid was really dark at 106K, and I may do another flush in the future to clean it up even more.

I haven't noticed any real benefit, but the car shifted great before, so I did not anticipate anything more.

All happy though!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Completed the work yesterday. The l-shaped T40 torx wrench was still too long, so I went to the hardware store and got a T40 torx screwdriver/drill bit (they only had the security version, but it still works) and I got a 1/4" ratchet wrench. I was able to barely slide the bit in with the round ratchet part of the wrench slid overtop. I was able to pop the fill plug loose (thought I had stripped it, but no), then got to my business. For others, you don't need a ratchet version as you just need a bit and 1/4" wrench to break the seal, then it unscrews by hand.

The rest of the steps in the DIY on this site were right on. Only nuances I ran into were:

- dropped the pan removing it from the transmission. Minor mess, but no problem.
- biggest pain was getting the tranny hot, then trying to get the fill plug back in with fluid running out. The tight space, hot and slippery fluid was really problematic, but it got done.

Original fluid was really dark at 106K, and I may do another flush in the future to clean it up even more.

I haven't noticed any real benefit, but the car shifted great before, so I did not anticipate anything more.

All happy though!

I dropped the driveshaft so I could get a torque on the fill plug, my hands were slipping all over the fill plug with the driveshaft out of the way I can't imagine trying to do it with it in place. If you have a helper it makes reinstall and torque of the drive shaft bolts a breeze, he holds the brakes while you torque, and I did match mark the shaft.