E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Squat Inquiry!

Let's do it. I need help fixing my squat form. I try to combine high bar and low bar, but I find when I look at my form it is off.

I also believe it is confusing watching form videos on youtube or other places.

Post pics, vids, advice etc to help others fix their squat form and increase their weight!
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
kushy

How to Squat Low
(thanks Elliot)
-taken from the vid --> squat down as if you're going to take a ****.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
There is a difference between "good form" and "perfect form". This isn't the Olympics, so don't spend too much time obsessing over being exactly 100% perfect. While good form is very important, I find that people get too wrapped up in the intricacies and nuances, and they then lose sight of the main objective of the issue. Be sure that you have a legitimate concern, and that it isn't just some form of OCD narcissism that many people tend to develop when they over-think an issue.
Was your back straight? Did you go down low enough? Did you have your legs generally at or past shoulder width apart, or some variation that is comfortable for you? Is the travel path of the bare generally vertical when you go up and down? If the answers are "yes", then stop worrying about being 1" too far forward or not having your knees spread exactly 39 apart or whatever.

Just my $0.02 on the matter. Like I said, form is important. Just be sure you're not over-thinking it.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-22-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Guaranteed 10% increase in your squat numbers after watching these series

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
Let's do it. I need help fixing my squat form. I try to combine high bar and low bar, but I find when I look at my form it is off.

I also believe it is confusing watching form videos on youtube or other places.

Post pics, vids, advice etc to help others fix their squat form and increase their weight!
What's with this high bar/low bar stuff?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
kushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
What's with this high bar/low bar stuff?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
[big ass pic]

I know what the statement references. My question is....why are you doing high bar/low bar squats. Sit the sh|t on your traps like everybody else who knows how to squat properly does, and squat. All that high bar/low bar stuff is nonsense.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-22-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I don't think we have the trap development to do a low bar squat safely anyways kushy
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
kushy

Quote:
I know what the statement references. My question is....why are you doing high bar/low bar squats. Sit the sh|t on your traps like everybody else who knows how to squat properly does, and squat. All that high bar/low bar stuff is nonsense.
no!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
The form on front squat in above pic is incorrect. Elbows are not parallel to the ground.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
The form on front squat in above pic is incorrect. Elbows are not parallel to the ground.
It's perfectly fine. Anatomically, my body will not allow I my elbows parallel to the ground. You know how much that affects my progress? 0. I'm still lifting the weight.

It's also from your beloved starting strength book, the one that you reference every time dumbbell presses come up.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
z00

I said the form in pic ain't right, I said nothing about the book. It's one of the best books on strength.

If I don't keep my elbows parallel to the ground (I see them pointing at me in mirror) my whole body leans forward. Maybe it works for you, but people new to FS like me will have problems if they don't keep their elbows up.

Plus, you were just telling e46M guy in the other thread to keep his elbow up. Why are you changing your mind now? lol, I know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
It's perfectly fine. Anatomically, my body will not allow I my elbows parallel to the ground. You know how much that affects my progress? 0. I'm still lifting the weight.

It's also from your beloved starting strength book, the one that you reference every time dumbbell presses come up.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
no!
Your choice. Don't come here asking for form help if you don't want to listen. Remember, you're the weakling!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-22-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
kushy

Quote:
Your choice. Don't come here asking for form help if you don't want to listen. Remember, you're the weakling!

Truthfully I neglected legs for way too long. The reason I like low bar position is because when I place the bar on my traps it feels unstable and painful.

I'll post some vids so you can critique my form and I'll go from there.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
DylloS

Quote:
I said the form in pic ain't right, I said nothing about the book. It's one of the best books on strength.

If I don't keep my elbows parallel to the ground (I see them pointing at me in mirror) my whole body leans forward. Maybe it works for you, but people new to FS like me will have problems if they don't keep their elbows up.

Plus, you were just telling e46M guy in the other thread to keep his elbow up. Why are you changing your mind now? lol, I know why.
Keep them up as much as possible. Doesn't mean having them slightly down is a bad thing. As long as you're not leaning it's fine.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #17
Sensi09

My Ride: __
How long do you guys rest for heavy sets where you struggle for say 3-4 reps?

I rest for about 5 minutes before my two heaviest sets. Started timing the rest on my phone and it feels like an eternity
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #18
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:

thats pretty damn parallel if you ask me. though its almost impossible to have the bar that far in your palm with your elbows up unless you are freakishly flexible.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
How long do you guys rest for heavy sets where you struggle for say 3-4 reps?

I rest for about 5 minutes before my two heaviest sets. Started timing the rest on my phone and it feels like an eternity
about the same.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
z00

I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Keep them up as much as possible. Doesn't mean having them slightly down is a bad thing. As long as you're not leaning it's fine.
I only use index and middle fingers to hold the bar with Olympic grip, that allows me to keep elbows pointing at me in mirror. It was hard the first few workouts, but it made a day and night difference once I started going a bit heavy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
thats pretty damn parallel if you ask me. though its almost impossible to have the bar that far in your palm with your elbows up unless you are freakishly flexible.