E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
How long do you guys rest for heavy sets where you struggle for say 3-4 reps?

I rest for about 5 minutes before my two heaviest sets. Started timing the rest on my phone and it feels like an eternity
3 minutes for me, if I still have a fatigued feeling (and I can tell if its just me being a p*ssy or not) then I will rest until it goes away.

I'm not there to burn calories!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Squat Inquiry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
thats pretty damn parallel if you ask me. though its almost impossible to have the bar that far in your palm with your elbows up unless you are freakishly flexible.
I can do it, but I'm pretty darn flexible. I also have my hands open and stretched, and the bar is only slightly on my fingertips. Most people can't though....at least not in the beginning.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
http://70sbig.com/blog/2013/04/ac-discusses-squats/
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #24
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

I did 100 squats the other day using 225 lbs......60 seconds rest between sets. QUAD BLASTER!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
BonesM80

My Ride: 02 330ci
Squat Inquiry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
There is a difference between "good form" and "perfect form". This isn't the Olympics, so don't spend too much time obsessing over being exactly 100% perfect. While good form is very important, I find that people get too wrapped up in the intricacies and nuances, and they then lose sight of the main objective of the issue. Be sure that you have a legitimate concern, and that it isn't just some form of OCD narcissism that many people tend to develop when they over-think an issue.
Was your back straight? Did you go down low enough? Did you have your legs generally at or past shoulder width apart, or some variation that is comfortable for you? Is the travel path of the bare generally vertical when you go up and down? If the answers are "yes", then stop worrying about being 1" too far forward or not having your knees spread exactly 39***176; apart or whatever.

Just my $0.02 on the matter. Like I said, form is important. Just be sure you're not over-thinking it.
This is the correct form! Ive seen people injure themselves because they obsessed about their form. The more they would try to "perfect" their form the sloppier it became. And its funny because there was nothing wrong with their form to begin with. Just pick a light weight and practice and if when you go up in weight and your form suffers that means its to much weight for you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BonesM80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Just finished today's compounds. Went for a 1rm squat @ 245 lbs (never tried a 1rm squat before). All raw baby

8x135
6x185
6x225
1x245
6x205
8x135

Followed by 3x8x185 ROM DLs. I currently weigh about 160lbs, so pretty happy with my 245 squat today

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 04-26-2013 at 11:10 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Just finished today's compounds. Went for a 1rm squat @ 245 lbs (never tried a 1rm squat before). All raw baby

8x135
6x185
6x225
1x245
6x205
8x135

Followed by 3x8x185 ROM DLs. I currently weigh about 160lbs, so pretty happy with my 245 squat today

awesome, how was the form? Given the 6 x 225 I bet you can hit 2-3 reps of 245 if form is good
Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #28
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
awesome, how was the form? Given the 6 x 225 I bet you can hit 2-3 reps of 245 if form is good
Paid extra attention to form. It was pretty good, a little bit of hip shift on my way back up, but kept my back straight and ass sticking out. I posted a video on the first page, which helped me increase my numbers by 10% in two weeks. No bs

Edit: yes, I made sure I was parallel each time.

Last edited by SeanC; 04-26-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I did 100 squats the other day using 225 lbs......60 seconds rest between sets. QUAD BLASTER!
Did you time yourself, how long?

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 04-26-2013 at 11:51 AM.
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #30
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Did you time yourself, how long?
Yeah! 9:32....and I died afterwards. I had previously finished 50 in 3:26, but trying to hit 100 proved more difficult than I originally thought. I think that I can beat that time, but I was Power Cleaning a lot a couple days before.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-26-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #31
bimmerchop

Nice! I'm de-loading next week, but I gotta give that a try once I'm back up to a working weight.

I've been doing a 50 rep finisher as well at the end of my heavy lower days. Slightly different though... Just with 135lbs, but for one set straight without re-racking or stopping. Just enough to get them legs burning lol.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Nice! I'm de-loading next week, but I gotta give that a try once I'm back up to a working weight.

I've been doing a 50 rep finisher as well at the end of my heavy lower days. Slightly different though... Just with 135lbs, but for one set straight without re-racking or stopping. Just enough to get them legs burning lol.

I have yet to perform a set without re-racking. That's intense! Just keeping the bar on your shoulders is work on the lats/triceps/shoulders (...135 lb. barbell step-ups were killing me after I completed that 50 rep blaster)....

...and then I did 100 pull-ups (..7 sets of 10, then 5 sets of 6), and spent the last bit of energy I had on heavy leg extensions.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #33
bimmerchop

"...and then I did 100 pull-ups" lol, beast mode!

Yup, it could get pretty brutal about 3/4's of the way... 135lbs isn't much, but once your breathing starts to get heavier, it's easy to break form.

euro.techniks

Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #34
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
"...and then I did 100 pull-ups" lol, beast mode!

Yup, it could get pretty brutal about 3/4's of the way... 135lbs isn't much, but once your breathing starts to get heavier, it's easy to break form.
For sure! You're quite the beast too man. I'm going to attempt to see if I can get close to your level of leanness. It's going to be difficult for me because I'm not nearly as regimented in my eating as you are. I JUSTTTTTTTT began implementing yams into my diet and I'm phasing the rice intake down.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
SeanC

Can somebody explain the purpose of doing 100 reps of anything without re-racking in a way that a n00b can understand?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Can somebody explain the purpose of doing 100 reps of anything without re-racking in a way that a n00b can understand?
The squat is probably the ONLY lift where this can be performed. As for purpose? Ehhhh.....more physical stress (..it demands a lot from the body). Look at it another way. Imagine rescuing a person from a burning building and having to carry them down multiple flights of stairs without setting them down to catch your breath. Your cardiovascular system and musculature would be TAXED! It's the same principle. More work equates to physiological adaptation. That's why fire fighters train stairs while wearing turnouts, breathing apparatuses and hose. Their systems need to be able to handle the stress. When you retain a 135 lb.+ barbell on your shoulders, your legs are effectively sustaining your body weight PLUS that 135 lbs. (...so if you're a 180 lb. guy, that's the weight bearing stress of a 315 lb. person over a prolonged period of time) all while performing intermittent action (..i.e...squatting for reps).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-26-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #37
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
For sure! You're quite the beast too man. I'm going to attempt to see if I can get close to your level of leanness. It's going to be difficult for me because I'm not nearly as regimented in my eating as you are. I JUSTTTTTTTT began implementing yams into my diet and I'm phasing the rice intake down.
Haha, my diets not that strict... I'm currently not nearly as lean as I was in the summer though. Speaking of, I need to start shedding some of the fat I've put on. Now that the weather's better, I'm going to need to plan out a new routine so that I can include a bit more cardio and not have it affect my lifts too much. I'll probably kick this off after my de-load weak to start fresh.

You however don't give yourself enough credit… You're lean as fck pretty much all year round haha.

euro.techniks

Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Haha, my diets not that strict... I'm currently not nearly as lean as I was in the summer though. Speaking of, I need to start shedding some of the fat I've put on. Now that the weather's better, I'm going to need to plan out a new routine so that I can include a bit more cardio and not have it affect my lifts too much. I'll probably kick this off after my de-load weak to start fresh.

You however don't give yourself enough credit... You're lean as fck pretty much all year round haha.
Any pics of your current conditioning?

Thanks man, but I'm not without my fluctuations. Some months I'm less lean than others. It's usually when I get a hair up my ass that I start shedding fat again. LOL! I currently have one of those "hairs" right now. I'm really trying to dial in my legs, so I'm playing with my carb and fat intake to see how it affects me. Any suggestions?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-26-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #39
bimmerchop

Nah, nothing of recent.

Honestly, I always keep my fat intake fairly high whether or not I'm looking to lean out. I find this even more important when my cals get low... So I usually just play around with my carb intake and have always seen good results with that, and not just from a fat loss perspective. Have you sat down recently and worked out what your macros look like on average?

euro.techniks

Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #40
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Nah, nothing of recent.

Honestly, I always keep my fat intake fairly high whether or not I'm looking to lean out. I find this even more important when my cals get low... So I usually just play around with my carb intake and have always seen good results with that, and not just from a fat loss perspective. Have you sat down recently and worked out what your macros look like on average?

Not yet! I need to really review my diet as a whole to see where I can make some changes. I've dialed my sugars down significantly already.