E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #81
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Form check? Am i going low enough?





Sent from my LG-LS840 using Bimmer App
Nope. Go lower.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #82
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Re: Squat Inquiry!



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #83
Silversixspeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Posts: 85
My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Nope. Go lower.
Didn't think so. I think i need to work on my flexibility then, any lower and my heels come off the floor.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #84
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Didn't think so. I think i need to work on my flexibility then, any lower and my heels come off the floor.
try doing this without the weight to warmup



you want to hit parallel or lower
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #85
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Form check? Am i going low enough?





Sent from my LG-LS840 using Bimmer App
Not quite low enough. You want to go to at least parallel. I'd say about another 6 inches or so.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #86
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,804
My Ride: ...a stairclimber!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Didn't think so. I think i need to work on my flexibility then, any lower and my heels come off the floor.

Yes, it's a flexibility issue. I'd lower the weight and work on more depth. I'd also bring your elbows more under the bar and play with your hand placement.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 05-10-2013 at 10:03 AM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #87
Silversixspeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Posts: 85
My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Yes, it's a flexibility issue. I'd lower the weight and work on more depth.
That was what I was thinking.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #88
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,804
My Ride: ...a stairclimber!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
That was what I was thinking.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

See my edit about hand placement/elbows. I'll help engage your lats better and provide more leverage for upward momentum and stability.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #89
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
See my edit about hand placement/elbows. I'll help engage your lats better and provide more leverage for upward momentum and stability.
that helps limit my forward lean too. Big help.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #90
Silversixspeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Posts: 85
My Ride: Too many to list
Good call, I was curious about that too. Glad I'm catching it early!
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #91
Sensi09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 77
My Ride: __
Question: For squat do you guys fix your gaze at eye level (when standing) or slightly above?

Oh and for deadlift is your gaze at about eye level when setting up, or more fixed at about eye level when standing if that makes sense.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #92
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange
 
MpoweredM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 13,302
My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Squat Inquiry!

I always look up. Helps with keeping my back straight.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3


Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #93
Silversixspeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Posts: 85
My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
Question: For squat do you guys fix your gaze at eye level (when standing) or slightly above?

Oh and for deadlift is your gaze at about eye level when setting up, or more fixed at about eye level when standing if that makes sense.
Squats, I'm usually looking a few feet above where my standing eye-level would be in the mirror.

Deadlifts, I think you're suppose to try to keep your spine straighter, so when you begin the lift, look more down towards the floor, and as you stand up, you begin to look more forward.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #94
kushy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: kids these days are pu55ies
Posts: 238
My Ride: automatic m3
i keep my head down when i squat
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #95
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,045
My Ride: 330i
Re: Squat Inquiry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Form check? Am i going low enough?





Sent from my LG-LS840 using Bimmer App

You might also want to consider spreading your feet a bit more if you're having problems with your knees when squatting. You'll be able to go lower that way.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #96
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,804
My Ride: ...a stairclimber!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversixspeed View Post
Squats, I'm usually looking a few feet above where my standing eye-level would be in the mirror.

Deadlifts, I think you're suppose to try to keep your spine straighter, so when you begin the lift, look more down towards the floor, and as you stand up, you begin to look more forward.
This exactly!!!!


edit:

To add to this, I try my best NOT to look at myself in the mirror. I hate that damn mirror.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 05-10-2013 at 10:17 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #97
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Squats about 6 feet out at the floor in front of you. Deads keep straight spine and raise as you lift.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #98
Sensi09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 77
My Ride: __
Still stuck on squats. I thought more dedicated hamstring work would help, but still doing the same number of reps.

I don't think it's mental as my last rep I barely get. Then again if I lower the weight very slightly, I can crank out more reps with more control and confidence than before....so maybe it is mental.

Just want to be able to do 315 comfortably. Doesn't help that the squat rack is always broken at this gym....so using a half rack that I'm not comfortable going to failure on.

About the gaze, I didn't really pay attention to what I do. I just look forward in general, but also tend to glance at my depth to know that I'm doing at least parallel.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #99
bgsmith
Registered User
 
bgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,165
My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
Still stuck on squats. I thought more dedicated hamstring work would help, but still doing the same number of reps.

I don't think it's mental as my last rep I barely get. Then again if I lower the weight very slightly, I can crank out more reps with more control and confidence than before....so maybe it is mental.

Just want to be able to do 315 comfortably. Doesn't help that the squat rack is always broken at this gym....so using a half rack that I'm not comfortable going to failure on.

About the gaze, I didn't really pay attention to what I do. I just look forward in general, but also tend to glance at my depth to know that I'm doing at least parallel.
I find that squats are very mental, just an awkward position to be in, bar across your back, hands where they are, etc. Just keep at it an your numbers will improve.
__________________
2006 TRD Sport 4x4, Wheels - 17x8 Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers
bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #100
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In a squat rack!
Posts: 1,804
My Ride: ...a stairclimber!
Squat Inquiry!

I just taught an older lady the mechanics of a squat. I feel accomplished today!!!!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use