E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
ctf85

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
What is the best "Power Steering fluid" for E46 M3

Hi guys,

I need to replace my power steering fluid on my 04 E46 M3 however am baffled as to which fluid is the best to use.

Also roughly how much is required?

Can anybody shed some light?

Thanks in advance )
ctf85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
this is a copy of a post done earlier today on m3forum.net:

edit: OH, that was your post. Lots of answers, so I guess you have your information.

I just did a drain and refill of the fluid with an ordinary Dexron III ATF fluid.

I drained by removing a banjo bolt in the line at the steering rack (needed replacement sealing crush washers). This method drains more fluid than simply siphoning the reservoir, refilling with new, running the engine and letting fluid cycle, repeat (and it is difficult to reach the reservoir on the M3 with the airbox attached as it must be to run the engine and the steering fluid pump).

I did not entirely use even one quart (bought three) and I was a bit wasteful with it. I though it was going to take more than one quart and didn't care to spend $20 per liter for the CHS so went with a $5 per quart option instead. The CHF 11S fluid comes up on ECS Tuning as the appropriate fluid and it does say "power steering" on it. The Bentley manual lists "Dexron III ATF" as the power steering fluid and I went with the fluid recommended to me by the auto part store where I purchased it.

Last edited by Slyde; 04-22-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: If I knew this moment what I didn't a moment ago, it would be just like right now.
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Either dex3 or dex6 fluid. Both are compatible. Brand doesn't really matter. I think I used Castrol.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
ctf85

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid - are we saying this can be used for Power Steering also?
ctf85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
It is what is used in e46 cars. ATF is used in the steering system. NOT "power steering fluid".
Like I said any dex3 or dex6 ATF fluid will work
Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
mooninite

My Ride: M3, 325i
If you want "best" you can put in some Motul.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote