E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Bimmer_NY

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Exclamation Tow pulled off my Frint Bumper!!

So the other day my car, 2003 325Xi overheated on the highway. I waited an hour and a half, for the car to cool down and filled up coolant.
I drove off the highway and parked on a side rode, just before the car overheated again. I was now stuck 5 - 6 miles from my house.
I was on the way to a Movie theater with some friends when this happened. My dad and my friends dad that I was with are both Mechanics and oil, parts distributors.
I called my dad (knowing he will be more than just upset) and filled him in on what happened.
He wasn't willing to tow the car because it was around 11:00pm and didn't want to spend the money. He specifically told me to drive home carefully, shut the car if it hit the 3/4th before overheating, let it cool and repeat.
Mind you, this was on 4/20, so what a horrible night for this to happen on.
My friend and I kept brainstorming on how we could get the car home earlier so that we can enjoy the night.
So my friend called his friend who has a truck, Avalanche, and was willing to tow me home for free.

I was weary about it, didn't want to do it and kept saying if rather do what my dad said. Of course, all the pressure on me we ended up hooking the cars. The idiot accelerated while the chains were loose and it pulled my entire front bumper out. The front bumper is hanging to dear life, as the right side of the bumper is fully out. The bumper seems like its only being held together on the far left side.

Drove the car the same way back to my dads shop today, which is not far from my home .
They took a look and my uncle, who works with my dad drove me to work. On the way to work he was quiet, except for one remark.
"That bumper is going to cost your dad $1,500 to $2,000".

I said no way, and we kept quiet.

I don't understand how it could be that much, I looked it up several times and researched quotes from other people's mistakes like this. I read it will only be $60-300 fix.

Could it really be this much??

Seems like the bumper pulled more parts including what my uncle said was a "steel bar".
Up until the Fan.

Please let me know what most prices are for a fix like this.
And any other info you can share.
Bimmer_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=975700

lol,
pictures would help. If it can't simply be clipped back on, get this. $500 max painted and installed.
http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46-m-tec...nt-bumper.html

Last edited by redbull 325is; 04-22-2013 at 10:35 AM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Bimmer_NY

Bumper doesn't need to be reprinted, there is no paint damage.
I should have taken pics but didn't.
Just need the parts reinstalled
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Bimmer_NY

Bump
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
FcBarcelona

My Ride: 325ci
You should do the m-tech bumper conversion! or an m3 bumper conversion!
FcBarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Bimmer_NY

Oh god. The bumper I have now is still in good/great condition, it didn't crack, peel paint or anything.
Just wondering how much it would cost to reinstall the bumper and pieces back together
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Bimmer_NY

Bump
Old 04-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
if it was ripped out you will need a new bumper because the mounts are probably shredded. fyi, don't call your friend an idiot. you should've known better if you read the manual and realized the XI cannot be towed traditionally. Needs a flatbed otherwise you will harm the drive terrain.

edit: I also just realized how the hell did you chain the car to be towed anyway. I hope you weren't so baked that you wrapped the hook around the bumper?! If you screwed the factory tow hook into the slot next to the bumper's impact strips and towed from there then you are in no way hooking to the bumper but rather the reinforcement bar behind it which is also attached to the frame rails.

420 is a helluvah drug

Last edited by kaboo0m; 04-22-2013 at 02:50 PM.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
longtallsally

My Ride: '02 325xi
Since you didn't get pics, it's hard to keyboard fix this. But I'd start by looking at realoem to get an idea of the parts involved, and then see if you can find what broke.

2 second search and you should be able to find the parts that busted and need to be replaced: http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...22&hg=51&fg=15
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
This is funny as crap - OP is beyond retarded
Old 04-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Bimmer_NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
if it was ripped out you will need a new bumper because the mounts are probably shredded. fyi, don't call your friend an idiot. you should've known better if you read the manual and realized the XI cannot be towed traditionally. Needs a flatbed otherwise you will harm the drive terrain.

edit: I also just realized how the hell did you chain the car to be towed anyway. I hope you weren't so baked that you wrapped the hook around the bumper?! If you screwed the factory tow hook into the slot next to the bumper's impact strips and towed from there then you are in no way hooking to the bumper but rather the reinforcement bar behind it which is also attached to the frame rails.

420 is a helluvah drug
Yup he hooked it up to the reinforcement bar by screwing in the factory tow hook. Listen I'm no bimmer expert. That's obvious. It's a learning lesson but let me learn from you experienced e46 drivers. What do I do next? How much will it cost to fix or reinstall what was taken out?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Bimmer_NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
This is funny as crap - OP is beyond retarded
Listen man I am not experienced, that's all. I just needed some help no criticism was asked for. You can help or see your way to posting on a different thread... I did not think of towing, my friend did. I just played a long with it.

Learning lesson, bad one but sh** happens
Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_NY View Post
Listen man I am not experienced, that's all. I just needed some help no criticism was asked for. You can help or see your way to posting on a different thread... I did not think of towing, my friend did. I just played a long with it.

Learning lesson, bad one but sh** happens
well if the bumper came off even though you were pulling the car by the reinforcement bar then the bar/frame/radiator support itself is likely damaged too. yeah that $1500-$2000 sounds just about right. cant see unless we get pics of the what's underneath

Last edited by kaboo0m; 04-22-2013 at 03:13 PM.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
we really need to see pics

did the plastic bumper cover come off? did the aluminum bumper come off? did the bumper struts come out? Are the front "frame" rails (crush zone) get damaged?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Bimmer_NY

Car is at my dads shop. Wish I took pictures before hand. Hopefully I can get a pic sooner or later
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Bimmer_NY

Just to be clear, I was looking for how much it would cost to be fixed with labor not included. Since my dad is a mechanic, labor won't be added. I just want to notice how much he will be paying out of pocket, so that I know how much money I can approach him with and give him in return

I know I don't have pics and I should've taken pics. Any guesses?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
hahahahaaah. This is like dumb and dumber.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
When people talk about a "bumper" on an e46 they are usually referring to the plastic bumper itself that you see on the outside of the car. You say your paint is not damaged and the car was pulled by the tow hook. That leads me to belive you have a good chance of "major" structural damage, not bumper damage specifically. Bolts will be torn out of the unibody structure,things will be bent and broken. It might be able to be beat back in place and redrilled and hacked together on the cheap,but to do a decent proper repair,1500-2000 doesn not seem unreasonable.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Tow pulled off my Frint Bumper!!

If your dad is a mechanic/pil change guy, he probably won't have the tools/shop to do body repair.

Call your insurance company, tell them the story, and you can try to get them to fix it. But since this was all an intentional act, most likely not.

Better luck next time.

As for a repair estimate, somewhere between $1 and $10,000.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Bimmer_NY

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
If your dad is a mechanic/pil change guy, he probably won't have the tools/shop to do body repair.

Call your insurance company, tell them the story, and you can try to get them to fix it. But since this was all an intentional act, most likely not.

Better luck next time.

As for a repair estimate, somewhere between $1 and $10,000.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Oil distributor, distributes oil.
I appreciate you researching and posting what you know from your own knowledge.
Thanks!

Tags
325, antifreeze, bumper, coolant, tow