E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
faber

My Ride: 2003 325 Cic
It's not exactly a leak, but I still get wet

So, I mentioned in another thread that I bought my first BMW. I've never really been into cars before, but I'm already planning on upgrades and additions. But first! A few small repairs.

After a rain, water will stored up in these thingies (I couldn't find any mention of them in theBentley Publisher's service manual):

When I turn a corner, the water drips out onto the person in the seat below. If Iturn right, I get dripped on, if I turn left, the right one drips.

When the roof is closed, I think the water is getting in through here:

So what goes in there to keep water out? Was there something there originally?

Suggestion on what to do?
faber is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
It looks like you have some piece of rubber in your seal. I'll post a pic of mine in a minute to compare.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.

Last edited by wildirish317; 04-22-2013 at 08:40 PM.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
wildirish317

Excuse the lighting, iPhone pic, but this what mine looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366681334.327668.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	501866   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366681356.603205.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	501867  

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
faber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
It looks like you have some piece of rubber in your seal. I'll post a pic of mine in a minute to compare.
Where do you see a piece of rubber in my shots? I'll compare your's to mine in the morning.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
wildirish317

It's at the bottom of the curved cup in the corner of the windshield. It looks like you have some type of rubber grommet there that I don't have. They may have changed the design from 03 to 04.

For my car, the weatherstripping goes across the top of the windshield, down both doors, across the door sills, and up the rear of the doors. It's all one piece, and very expensive, like $450.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
I've read people have fixed this issue by putting a bead of silicone behind the weather stripping on the front edge of the top. This pushes the weather striping out a bit and allows it to make a tighter seal.
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
If water gets inside, it is a leak. I had exact same problem. In my case it was torn weather seal on front edge of roof seal. I need a new seal. But it is expensive and I've not found a DIY for replacing it yet. Once I know how to replace it I'm willing to buy a new one. IF somebody knows how to replace that seal, please post here and let us know.

In the mean time I did the silicone/RTV fix described here

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...front+top+seal

That, along with Gummi-Pfledge to condition the rubber, seems to have worked so far.
If it starts leaking again - I'll either buy a new seal and try to DIY, or just try more silicone.
I wonder what BMW would charge to replace this seal - I'm afraid to find out - but might if
I can't stop leaking - like I said, so far so good.

For now I still carry a towel in the back seat - just in case. Can be used for many things . . .

The circled hole in your second picture is a drain. Water flowing in there should flow through the windshield pillar and drain out under the car. If that drain is plugged it could cause problems. But that drain is only designed to drain water outside the seal. In my case, what I think was happening is that water was getting through the seal (since it was cracked) then when I turned it sloshed to one side and dripped inside.

Again, Let us know if you find a proper solution to this - and what it costs, and how to do it. I don't expect my fix to last more than a few years - if that.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
faber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
It's at the bottom of the curved cup in the corner of the windshield. It looks like you have some type of rubber grommet there that I don't have. They may have changed the design from 03 to 04.
No, that's the water that spills into the cabin.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
faber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
If water gets inside, it is a leak. I had exact same problem. In my case it was torn weather seal on front edge of roof seal. I need a new seal. But it is expensive and I've not found a DIY for replacing it yet. Once I know how to replace it I'm willing to buy a new one. IF somebody knows how to replace that seal, please post here and let us know.

In the mean time I did the silicone/RTV fix described here

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...front+top+seal
I didn't see that particular thread; I saw this one. I've already done that. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Quote:
For now I still carry a towel in the back seat - just in case. Can be used for many things . . .
Ah! A man who knows where his towel is!
Quote:
Again, Let us know if you find a proper solution to this - and what it costs, and how to do it. I don't expect my fix to last more than a few years - if that.
Will do!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible

I've had the same problem in the past. There is a drain hole located there, it is clogged. You need to unclog it and all will be better. I was able to use an air compressor to blow air through it on one side, the other side I needed to use some thin, but stiff, but still flexible wire. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it's do-able.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewRag View Post
I've had the same problem in the past. There is a drain hole located there, it is clogged. You need to unclog it and all will be better. I was able to use an air compressor to blow air through it on one side, the other side I needed to use some thin, but stiff, but still flexible wire. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it's do-able.

could you possibly provide an illustration or pic of this drain... this leak OP speaks about i experienced it ONCE, cant seem to replicate it tho, but i suspect it will be back one day.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

Maybe a diagram from realoem.com?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
taylor192

I've tried to find info on that drain hole, good luck. If you do find it, please post it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Snik
OEM ///Member

Where does it go. Down the A pillar legs or just down the sides. Does it have a entry hole, where is it?

Old 04-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

ok i found the drain...

drop your top, look down where at that corner rubber where the roof meets the A pillar...you will see a small gap and a tiny lil hole. thats it... that microfelt rubber on the side of your A pillar, the drain is BEHIND that... if you go to the bottom of the A pillar with the door open where the rubber gets smooth, you can kinda reach a finger under the upper part and see where the rubber folds, and makes a drain... follow that all the way up, stick a finger in it and slide your finger all the way back to the roof.
youll see.. mine didnt looked clogged at all, but i still used my finger to wipe out some dust on both sides.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Snik
OEM ///Member

Here u see my finger inserted in the drain and not inserted just pointing at it.
This is with the door open, standing looking at the side of the A pillar. Just to the right is that corner where someone took a pic of. Where the window, a pillar and roof all meet. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367092520.709617.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	502678

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367092534.160762.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	502679

This pic shows the whole from the top. It's visible top up too. Seem water fwd of the roof and rear of the windshield all gets channelled down these on both sides and drain out by the door/front fender gap where u always see water come from when u wash the car.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1367092672.037034.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	502680

Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
That's what she said!

I had a one-time vulnerability at that point. It was in a crappy touchless car wash. Both sides dripped a bit.

But it has never happened again since, even in very very hard rain like today.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #18
radduu

My Ride: BMW 323 CI
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...061&highlight= pls read this topic.
radduu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
taylor192

You can adjust the top to close more firmly against the windshield. There are 2 bolts on either side of the top that adjust the final stopping point of the top. Adjust them down to bring the top closer to the windshield. Just don't go crazy or the locks won't line up with the windshield... as me how I know.

The nuts can be seen by pulling back the covers on the sides of the top with the top down. Tighten the bolt.

taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaky roof