E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZkansasZ View Post
I need to learn why cuz that's how I carry...
where do you recommend?
If you get pushed back and fall down, your gun could break your back bones. Thats why experienced cops never have their cuffs located there. If anything it should be offset to one side or the other.

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ngie View Post
I carry daily in a bag because I wear scrubs daily so it's hard to CC with any type of holster. I use one similar to this and wear it across the front. I have no issues getting to it quickly. But I often keep it open so it's easily accessible.

This bag screams i have a gun
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
4ngie

My Ride: Chrissspyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
This bag screams i have a gun
My job here is done.

4ngie likes this.
4ngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
Kells427

My Ride: 323i
When I bought my gun this was a big issue for me; plus I like to jog through the woods, and wanted to be able to run with my gun. My husband found a little Berretta Bobcat 22.

I don't know if your wanting to pack a larger gun everywhere you go, but for me I feel comfortable with it and my knife. I can carry it discreetly in anything I wear pretty much; its 11 ounces and fits in my back pocket.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by racee78 View Post
I've done a little searching and there's really not all that much I can find so I just want to know if anyone has any experience or can direct me to a site that can provide options for a comfortable way to carry that's not absolutely obvious since I wear somewhat fitted clothing most of the time.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Best holster I have ever used.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #26
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
There comes a point where one must make a compromise between gun size and terminal ballistic capability/effectiveness. The advantages of having an ultra-compact pistol like a Beretta Tomcat or Bobcat, or anything from NAA with relation to ease of carry and concealment are readily apparent. Unfortunately, this advantage is countered by the need for the pistols to be chambered in small calibers known to have exrtemely poor terminal ballstic performance. The .22LR is even more of an unknown because the construction of the bullet is much different than that of conventional centerfire loads from .25 on up.
For temporary circumstances like outdoors athletics like jogging and whatnot, I can lament that having a micro-pistol is better than having nothing and that at least there's something involved. This may be a decision borne out of necessity, but one would hope that it was absolutely only necessity. For more day-to-day use where you are not dealing with absolute necessity, it is more advisable to limit compact selections to no smaller than 9mm. The added couple ounces and marginal size increase are more that worth their weight in gold when you consider that you are getting effective and reliable terminal ballistics. Handgun rounds suck for stopping as it is, but there's a definitive performance dropoff once you go below 9mm that really challenges whether the additional reduction in size and weight is efficable.

Obviously, where the OP is at with the 9mm is right at the limit where the gun still has that reliable performance while still remaining compact.
Unfortunately, women are "victimized" by the assumption that their smaller hands (and in the case of women who are not Russian powerlifters, smaller physiques) necessitate smaller guns. This is a major problem in the gun buying realm, which I continue to see everytime I go into a gun shop. Some idiot convinces a woman who is not appropriately familiarized with shooting that she needs a small pocket-rocket because she has small hands. This is a travesty within our community, especially when I consider how often this occurs. Magically some female is going to shoot a Glock 27 better than a Glock 22? You don't put a new shooter on a subcompact, but apparently that does not translate to female shooters. Every single female officer we have on patrol uses a fullsize Glock 22 without a problem. This shit ain't difficult, but yet we keep proliferating this crap. The real unfortunate side effect is that most of these small guns wind up being the smaller caliber loads that do just plain suck.
Further, many of these small guns have very poor sights, and marksmanship winds up being like an artillery strike where you have to bracket and walk your rounds in because your sights are basically worthless. It's because of this issue that we have to limit our agency's backup gun qual to no farther than 15yds- people could not hit the targets at 17-25yds consistently and reliably under short time limits with LCPs and K-frames. Under slow-fire conditions it was fine. Under timed and rapid fire, it went to crap.

Food for thought in case anyone is looking into the "micro compact" pistols.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-24-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #27
4ngie

My Ride: Chrissspyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Obviously, where the OP is at with the 9mm is right at the limit where the gun still has that reliable performance while still remaining compact.
Unfortunately, women are "victimized" by the assumption that their smaller hands (and in the case of women who are not Russian powerlifters, smaller physiques) necessitate smaller guns. This is a major problem in the gun buying realm, which I continue to see everytime I go into a gun shop. Some idiot convinces a woman who is not appropriately familiarized with shooting that she needs a small pocket-rocket because she has small hands. This is a travesty within our community, especially when I consider how often this occurs. Magically some female is going to shoot a Glock 27 better than a Glock 22? You don't put a new shooter on a subcompact, but apparently that does not translate to female shooters. Every single female officer we have on patrol uses a fullsize Glock 22 without a problem. This shit ain't difficult, but yet we keep proliferating this crap. The real unfortunate side effect is that most of these small guns wind up being the smaller caliber loads that do just plain suck.
Further, many of these small guns have very poor sights, and marksmanship winds up being like an artillery strike where you have to bracket and walk your rounds in because your sights are basically worthless. It's because of this issue that we have to limit our agency's backup gun qual to no farther than 15yds- people could not hit the targets at 17-25yds consistently and reliably under short time limits with LCPs and K-frames. Under slow-fire conditions it was fine. Under timed and rapid fire, it went to crap.

Food for thought in case anyone is looking into the "micro compact" pistols.
Preach.

I carry an M&P40c but it's the smallest gun I'd ever consider carrying. If I have to use my gun, the intention is not to merely injure or disable the person, it's to kill them.

4ngie likes this.
4ngie is offline   Reply With Quote