E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Bimmerboy630

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Coilover question. For my xi

I'm looking at getting some fk coilovers for my xi to get rid of the wheel gap ( a tasteful lowering one might call it ) does anyone know if the xi and I suspensions are interchangable? Xi coilovers are more expensive then the I coilovers so I'm just curious if I can just go with the coilovers meant for the I .
Bimmerboy630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
No, you cannot use I coilovers on an XI. FK coilovers aren't terribly expensive either. The Highsports start at $800 on ECS

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Bimmerboy630

Do u know if they lower the same rates tho? Cause I'm tryin to go 2 in all around
Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
A modest lowering is Eibach springs and either Koni or Bilstein shocks which should be cheaper than any set of coilovers anyway.

You can't use RWD suspension parts on the Xi.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Bimmerboy630

Is there a particular reason why? Like I mean I figure that they should be pretty similar I'm going with the xi coilover anyways I just hope it can lower those two inches
Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy630 View Post
Is there a particular reason why? Like I mean I figure that they should be pretty similar I'm going with the xi coilover anyways I just hope it can lower those two inches
Coilovers are not "modest lowering", they are the most lowering. A modest drop of 0.75"-1.0" can be had through the Eibachs.

Oh you meant why can't you use the RWD parts. They are different. Different lengths is the biggest thing. If you put the RWD suspension in your car, it'll actually raise it some.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-25-2013 at 10:01 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Bimmerboy630

Huh interesting ! Either way my coilovers are going to drop me 1.75 to 2.0 I at most I don't wish to slam it just lower it to where that gap isn't so ugly and to where I can still turn well I almost bought a coilover for an i but I'm glad I asked first
Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
FKs are some of the lower riding coilovers for the xi, they'll allow you to go from a mild drop all the way to "slammed". The Xi and non Xi cars do utilizes different suspension components you'll want to insure you pick up the correct setup for your car for fitment purposes.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
FcBarcelona

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
FKs are some of the lower riding coilovers for the xi, they'll allow you to go from a mild drop all the way to "slammed". The Xi and non Xi cars do utilizes different suspension components you'll want to insure you pick up the correct setup for your car for fitment purposes.
You guys don't have them in stock until June/August
FcBarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
DavidDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FcBarcelona View Post
You guys don't have them in stock until June/August
ESE Tuning has them in stock!

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
Old 04-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDee View Post
ESE Tuning has them in stock!
Thanks a lot ordering them from there, this week!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
DavidDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FcBarcelona View Post
Thanks a lot ordering them from there, this week!
I just placed my order from them today, he said shipping will take 3 weeks because they're coming straight from Germany. Did you get any shipping information yet?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
FcBarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDee View Post
I just placed my order from them today, he said shipping will take 3 weeks because they're coming straight from Germany. Did you get any shipping information yet?
Sorry i had second thoughts about stancing my XI, i've decided to sell it and buy a 330i. Don't wanna have the idea of the car messing up due to slamming it.

Rather play it safe, hopefully I can get a buyer
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
ironhorsenl

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Coilover question. For my xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy630 View Post
The rear is the same I believe. The front struts on an xi are shorter then a RWD. However this didn't stop me from putting RWD coilovers In my xi. They won't go as low though, because you can't slide the coilover all the way through the knuckle because there's an axle in the way. Spend the extra on xi specific.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ironhorsenl is offline   Reply With Quote