E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Moments of shame in the weight room

A few months back I fell doing 225lb squat cleans. The weight wasn't heavy, but the bar was bent so it tumbled. Nevertheless, embarrassing

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #22
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Two weeks ago on my back day I finished a set on the lat pulls and was walking to the drinking fountain. I was "in the zone" at that point and as typical with that state, I had the situational awareness of a fvcking rock. Female was with her personal trainer doing glute cable kickbacks out into the isle. I went walking past thinking I left enough room to clear the area she was in, but I was in fact too close and she planted the sole of her shoe straight into my right upper arm. I was like, "oops, sorry!!"

Best part was that it freaked her the hell out and she was all scared and thought she did some major no-no. Her trainer sees me in there all the time, so he seemed to be pretty aware that I was fine. She was amazed that when she kicked back into me, she went forward and I didn't move. Oops.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #23
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
I've had a few but can only recall one right now:

I was running on the treadmill (with earbuds) and my wife was running errands and going to make a stop at Home Depot for me so I was anticipating a question via text...Well the text came so I hit stop and straddled the treadmill while reading the text. After answering the text I stepped back onto the treadmill but was surprised to find out the the treadmill was still fully running. It scared the **** out of me and spit me off so quick I sort of ran sideways while stumbling into the back row of ellipticals which were all in use. Because of my ear buds I'm not certain that I did not scream and swear.... I am soooooo thankful I have cat like reflexes and somehow didn't fall face first.

Dumbass lol

Try to play it off like nothing happened?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #24
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Two weeks ago on my back day I finished a set on the lat pulls and was walking to the drinking fountain. I was "in the zone" at that point and as typical with that state, I had the situational awareness of a fvcking rock. Female was with her personal trainer doing glute cable kickbacks out into the isle. I went walking past thinking I left enough room to clear the area she was in, but I was in fact too close and she planted the sole of her shoe straight into my right upper arm. I was like, "oops, sorry!!"

Best part was that it freaked her the hell out and she was all scared and thought she did some major no-no. Her trainer sees me in there all the time, so he seemed to be pretty aware that I was fine. She was amazed that when she kicked back into me, she went forward and I didn't move. Oops.
U guys should bang

Edit : does she trim ?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:

Last edited by Born Again; 04-25-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
A few months back I fell doing 225lb squat cleans. The weight wasn't heavy, but the bar was bent so it tumbled. Nevertheless, embarrassing

Not that embarrassing to fail a 225lb squat clean. I've let myself fall while bailing on probably every movement that goes into the front rack position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Mike Larry, he's calling you out.
lol it's really not as douchey or angry as it sounds. i just have a habit of carelessly tossing/dropping a water bottle (after i take a sip) towards any wall/corner/upright surface adjacent to the apparatus i'm using, so it ends up resting on its side instead of standing up.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 04-25-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
First time in the gym on the weekend in a while, doing flat bench, warm up set of 135 then first set at 205, went for an 11th rep and the bar went no where, two guys were right there so I calmly asked for a spot.

Could have just dumped the weight but then the whole gym would have known.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #28
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Re: Moments of shame in the weight room

^Lol good call.

I was lucky last Saturday because the gym was quite empty. I did some squats, last set was 6x225, so I decided to try something else.

I moved the safety bars to the lowest squat position, set the barbell on the them, and loaded up 245. Went under and pushed up. Nothing's moving. Removed the 2 10s, still nothing. Checking around in the meantime to see if anybody's watching. I had to go down to 185lbs to be able to move the bar up.

I am sure somebody noticed the failure, but luckily not too many people were around. Good exercise though. Really shows you your weak points in your form.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
bgsmith

Hey if you don't lift to absolute failure you aren't lifting heavy enough......
Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
No thanks. If you're lifting to absolute failure every time you are in the gym, you are killing yourself...

Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
No thanks. If you're lifting to absolute failure every time you are in the gym, you are killing yourself...
I was being sarcastic, I usually lift without a spot and try not to overdo it, went for that extra rep today and it didn't work out.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #32
SeanC

Without a spot is the way to do it. I only get a spot if I'm trying a weight I didn't try before.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #33
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
This is the mindset I have, and I think everybody should have when lifting. Its clear that you won't actually get there but the effort is what makes a workout a WORKOUT and not just a leisurely stroll through the weightroom.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325

Stimulate, don't annihilate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #35
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
There's a a sweet spot between total failure and one rep before failure that I think you should strive for... Complete failure every single time you are in the gym is overtraining for sure.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #36
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
There's a a sweet spot between total failure and one rep before failure that I think you should strive for... Complete failure every single time you are in the gym is overtraining for sure.
Exactly, I failed on the 11th rep, who the **** goes for an 11th rep anyways.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #37
SeanC

There are types of workouts where you need 15 reps, but there is a specific purpose for this (called a depletion workout, where you are trying to deplete muscle glycogen in order to force fat oxidation). But you do it only at 50-60% of your 1rm. Definitely not at 80%+.

For strength training, 6-8 reps at around 80% of your 1rm has been proved to be optimal. You still need to periodically deload and reload every 3-4 weeks. I could post links, but I believe one should do their own research for their own good.

Now let's get the thread back on track: moments of shame!

Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #38
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
So every morning when I arrive at the gym, I have a habit of dropping a pre workout bomb in the men's room, then going upstairs to the weight room to crush it. Emphasis on the men's room aspect...

So last week, particularly on Friday, I show up to the gym and the men's room had no available bathrooms (they were all occupied) so I'm like well I'll just use the common area mixed gender bathroom. So I go in there, and do my business. I actually chuckle to myself while I'm in there cause this particular bomb literally destroyed the room's air quality. So I finish up and I open the door to find a really cute girl standing patiently waiting, she looks up and smiles at me and proceeds straight into the BR.

Lifting while she was on a treadmill right near me the whole time wasn't awkward what so ever.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #39
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

Changing weight on pull downs and having the bar drop on the back of my head.

Doing heavy pull downs and the cable snapped on me sending me flying backwards and the weight plates crashing back down.

Tripping on a box while backing into position doing box squats and having to bail a fully loaded barbell.

Crushing my hands on the dumbbell rack.

Doing box jumps and missing, resulting in a face plant with bloody skinned shins. (Happens regularly)

10 yrs in the gym I could keep going lol

Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #40
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
My buddy split his fore finger reracking a dumbell in high school, had to get a ton of stitches... Ever since seeing that I've been very careful