E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatman View Post
Will definitely check that first. I have to remove the plastic shield to see that don't I?
That`s exactly why I told you to use the jumper cable test. I did not want to go into details as to what the purpose of putting the jumper cable between the engine and body was about until the test showed some sort of improvement.

Not sure you understood what/why I told you to perform the test??

Also you need to check very carefully that your serpentine belt is routed correctly and the tensioner is working properly. Not sure you can misroute the belt easily, but usually on an alternator you need about 1/2 a pulley wrap of the serpentine so you will not get any belt slippage. Believe me it happens. Maybe a picture of your belt around the alternator will give some clue if this could be an issue??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
jbatman

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
That`s exactly why I told you to use the jumper cable test. I did not want to go into details as to what the purpose of putting the jumper cable between the engine and body was about until the test showed some sort of improvement.

Not sure you understood what/why I told you to perform the test??

Also you need to check very carefully that your serpentine belt is routed correctly and the tensioner is working properly. Not sure you can misroute the belt easily, but usually on an alternator you need about 1/2 a pulley wrap of the serpentine so you will not get any belt slippage. Believe me it happens. Maybe a picture of your belt around the alternator will give some clue if this could be an issue??
I couldn't get a clear shot of the belt/alt..I'll have to wait until after work to get home and get the air filter box off to take a better pic. The trouble with the grounding test you suggested is that the voltage drop is random and I've never encountered it off a cold start. I see it sometimes when I'm coming back from lunch which would be the only time I would be in the position to do any sort of testing while the problem is happening and with the car immobile (without pulling over on the highway). Running that test over lunch in the parking lot in 100+ heat in business casual attire sounds miserable. I'll have a better shot at it over the wkend when I have more time.

Last edited by jbatman; 07-24-2013 at 03:50 PM.
jbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
beasted86

My Ride: '02 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Do you know the theory here? Hand held cannot load test obviously. Curious how it could give accurate results.
Yes, the handheld Midtronics unit is a load tester.

Like I said it is a reliable tester, and is the standard in all dealerships. All warranty claims require a Midtronics test with the failure code.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery, e46, voltage