E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
top speed of e46 chassis

So I am just curious here and its been a while since I have had an E46, but have any of you seen any wind tunnel tests with the E46, specifically a sedan? I am trying to figure what safe speeds are for the chassis and any mods I will have to do
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Mach 3 is the top end due to drag
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
86.5 mph.

/end thread

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
So I am just curious here and its been a while since I have had an E46, but have any of you seen any wind tunnel tests with the E46, specifically a sedan? I am trying to figure what safe speeds are for the chassis and any mods I will have to do
Threads like these are just so filled with pregnant pauses and unexplained background and comedy factors that I can't even explain it.

What the heck speeds are you thinking you are going to exceed that are dictated by the CHASSIS and the WIND TUNNEL tests......I mean are you planning to set the world land speed record out on the Bonneville Salt Flats or something with your 10yr old 325i?

And therefore what MODS are you envisioning for your project?
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
TheDeadner

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
Threads like these are just so filled with pregnant pauses and unexplained background and comedy factors that I can't even explain it.

What the heck speeds are you thinking you are going to exceed that are dictated by the CHASSIS and the WIND TUNNEL tests......I mean are you planning to set the world land speed record out on the Bonneville Salt Flats or something with your 10yr old 325i?

I believe this is the guy swapping in his n54. Although I kind of agree wouldn't the transmission top out before wind drag becomes an issue? I mean you can push a cube to 200 mph if you have enough power.

Edit: Also air density plays a role, the most definitive answer to your question is the top speed is C.

Last edited by TheDeadner; 09-17-2013 at 11:58 AM.
TheDeadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Solid rocket boosters. Mach 2. Have fun.

Drag coefficient is .31.

Last edited by choxor; 09-17-2013 at 11:57 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
If you ever intend to go beyond around 150-ish even on a track, I'd highly recommend a roll cage at the very least. Start creeping up on 170 or so and you should be considering a functional splitter (not the cosmetic ones you mostly see here) and a proper rear wing. Of course you also will need the suspension and brakes to back that up, especially once you put a wing on it. A functional rear wing + too soft of a suspension and you'll just make the car squat, lift the nose, and negate a huge chunk of the aero benefit.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadner View Post
I believe this is the guy swapping in his n54. Although I kind of agree wouldn't the transmission top out before wind drag becomes an issue? I mean you can push a cube to 200 mph if you have enough power.

Edit: Also air density plays a role, the most definitive answer to your question is the top speed is C.
I guess people gotta have their hobbies! I'd think the chassis and shape of the E46 can handle high speeds, while the engine, transmission, suspension, etc will be the limiting factors.
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
I need more NOS, my car topped out at 140 today

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
I need more NOS, my car topped out at 140 today
Get the big bottle. Two of them.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
If you ever intend to go beyond around 150-ish even on a track, I'd highly recommend a roll cage at the very least. Start creeping up on 170 or so and you should be considering a functional splitter (not the cosmetic ones you mostly see here) and a proper rear wing. Of course you also will need the suspension and brakes to back that up, especially once you put a wing on it. A functional rear wing + too soft of a suspension and you'll just make the car squat, lift the nose, and negate a huge chunk of the aero benefit.
Yeah that part was obvious but I am curious as to the best functioning splitters. In my experience a splitter is needed at 180 and a wing is needed at around 150, at least for the power I was pushing. I also need aerodynamic sideskirts that are extremely low to the ground to hold the low pressure underneath the car. I know I need a custom rear diffuser and a generally flat undercarriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadner View Post

Air density and gears yes. The 308 gears I had gave me a non achievable top speed of 218 mph. damn you wind! The 3.62 from the M3 LSD should still be over 200. If it is an issue ill change up gears. I honestly havnt even done le maths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post

Good thing I am not driving a 325! that would take tons of money to make that happen lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
Get the big bottle. Two of them.
I do plan to run meth and NO2
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote