E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
platinumhaze

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Whats the damage?

So two days ago at 2AM, some lady came speeding down my street. And out of all the cars on this street, she slams into my 330ci first, hits my aunts jaguar and totals it, hits my neighbors jeep, totaled, then slammed into the back of his pick up which stopped her. So she hit 5 parked cars and totaled her 97 camry as well

my car seemed to have sustained the least amount of damage. She tore up my quarter panel, and my driver side door. This is my first car and my first accident. Insurance is covering everything, but my neighbor that knows quite a bit about cars looked at it and said that they'll most likely total it.

I just want to know how bad the damage is and a ballpark estimate of the cost of repair. (i live in socal)

Last edited by platinumhaze; 04-22-2013 at 04:10 PM.
platinumhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Whats the damage?

That's a good candidate for a total loss. I know that's what is be thinking going in to writing an estimate.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Doesn't look good at all.
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Ouch! That's a lot of damage. Mike is the insurance guru, listen to him.
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Cyanide72

My Ride: 2002 325i
I hope it works out for you, but I really have to ask how the person who hit your car managed to total all those vehicles. She must have been seriously impaired or she just plain distracted. Seriously, I hope they ban this person from ever driving again and they should thank their lucky stars they didn't injure or worse kill anyone.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
platinumhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide72 View Post
I hope it works out for you, but I really have to ask how the person who hit your car managed to total all those vehicles. She must have been seriously impaired or she just plain distracted. Seriously, I hope they ban this person from ever driving again and they should thank their lucky stars they didn't injure or worse kill anyone.
She came out her car without a scratch. not one scratch. She wasnt drunk or anything so I have no clue what she was doing.

Heres my aunts car that was parked directly in front of mine for those interested in seeing the damage:

and heres the woman's camry after she spun out into the street

Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumhaze View Post
So two days ago at 2AM, some lady came speeding down my street. And out of all the cars on this street, she slams into my 330ci first, hits my aunts jaguar and totals it, hits my neighbors jeep, totaled, then slammed into the back of his pick up which stopped her. So she hit 5 parked cars and totaled her 97 camry as well

my car seemed to have sustained the least amount of damage. She tore up my quarter panel, and my driver side door. This is my first car and my first accident. Insurance is covering everything, but my neighbor that knows quite a bit about cars looked at it and said that they'll most likely total it.

I just want to know how bad the damage is and a ballpark estimate of the cost of repair. (i live in socal)

That's some severe hit!
She snapped your rear trailing arm!!
I'm going to guess your driver side rear axle is bent + upper & lower rear control arms are warpped; left rear shock and shock mount are kinked, Plus damage to your rear differential (and its casing)... that's on top of All the body/panel/cosmetic damages.

Get a few more shots of the area (looking at it from behind the rear bumper, I bet you'll see a lot more.)

Tough breaks, man. But, glad to know you were not in the vehicle when it happened.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 04-22-2013 at 04:52 PM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
NOVAbimmer

Whats the damage?

Axle and differential are possible, but a stretch. There's quite a bit of wiggle room for the axle to move around.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
How does somebody do this much damage without being drunk? She had to be stoned on something. Was she texting?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
How does somebody do this much damage without being drunk? She had to be stoned on something. Was she sexting?
corrected.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Pull your receipts together, they will be calling you to say the car cannot be fixed.

Basically they do repairs up to 70% of the value, if the car is worth $3000, they do $2,100 in repairs. If the car is worth $10,000, they do repairs to $7,000. A pretty simple formula.

If they say that repairs to your car will take $3,000 and it's worth $3,000, then you want to show receipts for recent major repairs that would extend the life of the car, and therefore increase the value. The trouble comes when you are right at that 70% mark and the receipts for service raise the value to the point that they fix the car, or try to, and don't quite get it. This leaves you with a car that just makes you mad everytime you get in.

I'm not sure what all I can see in the pics, but it appears that the lower control arm for the left rear tire is broken. Replacing the arm in not big deal, but it is bolted to the frame/body somewhere that is in all likelyhood not in the right place anymore, and the alignment might be a trick. The good news is, the insurance does not want to keep working on your car, so if they cannot do repairs that are good, they won't do any repairs at all. It looks like at the very least the car will need to be put on a machine that can pull and push the frame around and bring it back into square. I'm not sure which car you have, but there is an issue with the subframe on some models, and the damage to your car cannot be good for the subframe.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Clemenza

My Ride: 320i, 316i, 530xd
Ouch :-( Sorry to hear it... I know how you feel, about two years ago a woman in Infinity totalled my e46 330xd individual in mint condition on lights... she just forgot to brake and hit me (40 mph and I was standstill)...
E36 316i (1995)
E61 530xd
Clemenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
The scratches in the Jag will buff out.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
Xeek

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328Ci
Hope she has enough insurance to cover the damage to all those vehicles. If she doesn't someone will have to go after her in court. If she even has the money.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
platinumhaze

So the tow truck just came to take my car away. First thing he said when he looked at it was "yeah they arent going to fix this, its garbage now" haha. so I guess thats it for my e46
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Plastidip!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I am sorry and hope you get another e46.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
norcalmike

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
take your car away? did the ins co. settle with you? is it going to a body shop?
norcalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
platinumhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmike View Post
take your car away? did the ins co. settle with you? is it going to a body shop?
its going to some storage yard instead of the body shop. Now i just have to wait it out and see what the insurance does with it I guess
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
NOVAbimmer

Whats the damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumhaze View Post
its going to some storage yard instead of the body shop. Now i just have to wait it out and see what the insurance does with it I guess
Yup, they want to kill it.