E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
epistaxis2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 492
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Dont use autozone for the parts >>> http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...065&highlight=

its been over a month and they stilll havent fixed their system u will get stuck with the wrong parts!!!
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
jdstrickland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 7,511
My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Idiots notwithstanding, it most certainly is a DIY job. You referred several times to using the T-25 to remove the fan, but what you really removed was the fan shroud. Yes, you gain some access, but my humble opinion is that the effort is not worth the gains. The Exhaust Cam Sensor should be able to be replaced without taking anything else off.

But at the end of the day, you replaced two parts that have been giving you fits, and of the two the Intake Cam Sensor was the real object of your obsession and is the more difficult of the two to replace -- mostly because the connector is in a crappy place. Anyhow, good job.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
epistaxis2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 492
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Re: ***Warning, this is not a DIY! *** both cam sensors replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Idiots notwithstanding, it most certainly is a DIY job. You referred several times to using the T-25 to remove the fan, but what you really removed was the fan shroud. Yes, you gain some access, but my humble opinion is that the effort is not worth the gains. The Exhaust Cam Sensor should be able to be replaced without taking anything else off.

But at the end of the day, you replaced two parts that have been giving you fits, and of the two the Intake Cam Sensor was the real object of your obsession and is the more difficult of the two to replace -- mostly because the connector is in a crappy place. Anyhow, good job.
The fan comes out with the shroud taking just the fan blade itself out would be stupid. And my hands are huge so taking out the fan and shroud assembly as a unit is absolutely worth the effort, the added room is a necessity for large hands and big tools, if all u have is a larger socket set once you add an adapter and socket the length will give you problems if you don't remove the fan.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #24
jdstrickland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 7,511
My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by epistaxis2008 View Post
The fan comes out with the shroud taking just the fan blade itself out would be stupid. And my hands are huge so taking out the fan and shroud assembly as a unit is absolutely worth the effort, the added room is a necessity for large hands and big tools, if all u have is a larger socket set once you add an adapter and socket the length will give you problems if you don't remove the fan.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
My bad. My car has an automatic, the fan and the shroud come out separately. The screw you point to is used to hold the shroud in. If the fan is connected to the shroud, that screw would be the one to remove.

But, on my car I can change the Exhaust Cam Sensor without taking anything else off.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #25
epistaxis2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 492
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Re: ***Warning, this is not a DIY! *** both cam sensors replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
My bad. My car has an automatic, the fan and the shroud come out separately. The screw you point to is used to hold the shroud in. If the fan is connected to the shroud, that screw would be the one to remove.

But, on my car I can change the Exhaust Cam Sensor without taking anything else off.
Well then if your car is easier to work on than mine, you suck...lol!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #26
chudzikb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lancaster PA
Posts: 338
My Ride: 04 330ci
I loved the warnings. And glad to see you kept at it till it was fixed. No surrender, NO stealership!
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use