E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
brokensmile209

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
R-134a A/C Pro Professional Formula Refrigerant?

i have a 2001 bmw, i wanted to do a ac recharge, can i use any
R-134a? my choice would be R-134a A/C Pro that could be found at walmart and autozone

link to the video below

brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
dont do it, those things are not accurate and you might overfilled the system. have it professional done, so they can empty, check for leaks and refill..

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I mean, AC systems haven't changed in years. I don't see a big issue with using one of those things.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Re: R-134a A/C Pro Professional Formula Refrigerant?

Have it refilled by AC professional.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Wibbles

My Ride: 01 325i
Get it professionally done.
I love how if you work with freon you have to have the EPA certification but the goverment lets the general public go to Walmart and buy quick charges of freon.

The AC freon system is a sealed system if you need a recharge of freon you have a leak in your system..90% of the time.

Also Freon is harmful to the ozone so to just charge your system up and let it leak out and recharge your system over and over is pretty much ignorant. I'm not saying that you're doing that I'm just saying in general. my bad for sounding like a hippie douche but Im just saying.

Sorry about all the editing my phone is retarded

Last edited by Wibbles; 04-28-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Wibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
I mean, AC systems haven't changed in years. I don't see a big issue with using one of those things.
the R-134a is the same, and it works as good as the one done at a shop, the problem is overfilling and also also to check for leaks in the AC system. why risk it just to save $20+ dollars,

Also can code your car

Last edited by haurelio; 04-28-2013 at 08:57 PM.
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
I would take it to a shop. Using these cans is like using fix-a-flat for a leaking tire. (Well, not quite as bad, but you are delaying the inevitable.) If you need refrigerant, you have a leak.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You mean all you've known is RC-134? High pressure AC systems? Hmmm.....?

Last edited by HacksawMark; 04-28-2013 at 09:15 PM.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
brokensmile209

I just did a recharge, everything went smootly, no problem, my car was just low on ac, im now at around 40psi green zone, no need to take it to a professional. ..lol...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
I just did a recharge, everything went smootly, no problem, my car was just low on ac, im now at around 40psi green zone, no need to take it to a professional. ..lol...
Just low on ac? Means there was/is a leak somewhere.....

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid with 208,000 mile on it and it still blows cold as ever...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizwan1377 View Post
Have it refilled by AC professional.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Lol what is wrong with all you people? I thought this site was full of DIYers?

Yea, of course being low indicates there is a leak in the system. But often times the leak is a very slow leak, slow enough that the recharge will last you a couple years. What will a shop do first thing when a customer says their A/C system needs to be leak tested? They will fill it with R134a with a dye in it (you can buy these from autozone etc) and then see where the leak is.

R134a is a greenhouse gas, so of course I don't recommend recharging every month to maintain a leaky system. But if this is a first time affair its worth a shot just to see how long it lasts.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60

Last edited by thefrog1394; 04-28-2013 at 09:37 PM.
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
Get it professionally done.
I love how if you work with freon you have to have the EPA certification but the goverment lets the general public go to Walmart and buy quick charges of freon.

The AC freon system is a sealed system if you need a recharge of freon you have a leak in your system..90% of the time.

Also Freon is harmful to the ozone so to just charge your system up and let it leak out and recharge your system over and over is pretty much ignorant. I'm not saying that you're doing that I'm just saying in general. my bad for sounding like a hippie douche but Im just saying.

Sorry about all the editing my phone is retarded
Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
the R-134a is the same, and it works as good as the one done at a shop, the problem is overfilling and also also to check for leaks in the AC system. why risk it just to save $20+ dollars,
Those are the most compelling points to not use one of these I guess. I must agree with you after you mention that.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
brokensmile209

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
Just low on ac? Means there was/is a leak somewhere.....

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid with 208,000 mile on it and it still blows cold as ever...

It was low below the green zone, it took me an entire 20z to fill it up to the green zone around 40psi, didn't check for leak cuz it was 90 degree outside. ..hot hot...everything good now
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Don't be scared to DIY with the A/C. The meters on the cans of R-134a are pretty accurate. The best way to do it is to have someone sit in the car with the A/C on max, rev the car to 1500 or 2000 rpms and fill it until it they tell you its cold.

My mechanic friend says the E46 is the best HVAC system to date on any 3 series, and he's seen very few real problems or major leaks. What he sees on a majority of e46s are small little leaks that may take a year or two to get low on freon.

One thing about R-134a - everyone said it is better for the atmosphere than the original R-12, and that is a bunch of baloney. Since R134a systems run with higher pressure, they are prone to more leaks - which means more R134a gets in the atmosphere than R-12 did.

Believe me, the impact of refrigerant getting into the atmosphere is not what is messing up our planet.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Do it if you want.

In order to properly fill the system you need to know the hi and lo side pressures. Overcharge the system and you risk blowing your compressor. Have the wrong amount of oil in the refrigerant and you risk blowing your compressor.

If you have to top off you have a leak. Either take it to a professional and get it fixed or buy the proper equipment (gauge set, vacuum pump), learn how to use it, and do it yourself. I'd still have a shop scavenge the old refrigerant.

Or you could be cheap and recharge it from the can making it temporarily work while ignoring the actual problem and putting you closer to a really expensive repair when your compressor craps out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post
Lol what is wrong with all you people? I thought this site was full of DIYers?
This isn't DIYing. This is the equivalent of patting yourself on the back after "fixing" your radiator using stop leak instead of replacing it.

Last edited by choxor; 04-29-2013 at 09:42 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Just get yourself some gauges and R134a Freon 12 oz cans to charge your system. Those cans with gauges are too expensive and dont give you a total picture of what can be wrong. You need the high and low side pressures to know it is working right.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
what if it leaks out again?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
HaloArchive

My Ride: My Office Chair
You guys wanting to do your own A/C recharges without the metering device are idiots. There is a high AND low pressure system and if they are out of balance, your system will degrade faster. Take it to a pro to do it with the metering device. Its only $50 and they check for leaks. Sheesh.

Last edited by HaloArchive; 04-29-2013 at 11:39 AM.
HaloArchive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
^ +1

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote