E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
headrec

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Need help manually moving driver side power seat

Hey

Noticed on my new car the power seat wouldn't move forward or back. Closer look revealed a butt splice in a wire that had come disconnected again. Need to pull the seat to re-splice the wire. Unfortunately the seat is over top of the rear bolts to pull the seat. Is there a way to manually move the seat forward to gain access to the bolts?
headrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
None that I know of. Can you splice the wire together with a jumper wire with an aligator clip on each end? You should be able to do this, difficult as it might be, with the seat where it is, then you would have power restored so you could move thge seat and fix it properly, or at least better than the last guy that fixed it.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
headrec

I might try that. The butt splice is in a really awkward spot and I don't know if the alligator clip will work but it might be my best shot if I can't find a way to manually move the seat.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Maybe you can get an opened ended wrench enough turns to loosen it a little...get the front bolts out...tilt it back and get some more access...otherwise, take motrin after the repair!

Also, remember to disconnect the battery 5 mins. before disconnecting the connectors so you don't trigger airbag light and so seatbelt tensioner doesn't explode.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
headrec

I was able to expose the metal on the butt splice and make a jumper wire from that to the broken wire. The seat will still not move forward. Not sure if the motor is dead at this point but I need a way to manually move the seat forward so I can pull the chair and do some more test to see where the problem lies. Any suggestions?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
headrec

Anyone?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
dmax

Don't quote me on this, but I wonder if you remove the motor, if you'd just be able to lift it up, move it forward.

You should be able to get power directly to that motor...stick some pins into connector or something.

Maybe try making that splice again?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 04-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Mau330i

My Ride: '02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Maybe you can get an opened ended wrench enough turns to loosen it a little...get the front bolts out...
If this worked, maybe you can keep on turning the rear bolts a few turns each time until the seat is completely free....
Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
dmax

How tall are you? How far back is the seat?

I just looked at mine and it seems to me that you can get a wrench on that...Even if you can't see the nut, it's just about an inch or two in from the end of the rail...you might need a short wrench, and you might need to remove plastic cap, but if you lie down and can get your elbow around, you can get a wrench on that bolt, even with the seat over it.

If you need a short wrench to get the angle on it...which you might, you can then hook another opened ended wrench onto it to get more torque. You 'mate' the two by hooking the opened ended side onto the round side of the other...so the short wrench needs to be open and closed ends...I can tell you the mm of mine...assuming they're the same, but you should check realoem.com to be safe. I'll check later if I remember!

You can get there...might need a teenagers thin arms, but I could do it...I'm 94%...though it would kill my back!

Come in from the inside side...not from behind. About 1-2" forward of the back...if your seat is covering it.

HTH

Last edited by dmax; 04-29-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
headrec

There is no way a wrench will fit in there. I don't even think a socket would fit let alone anything to turn the socket with. I reconnected that wire with some alligator clips but the motor still doesn't work. Maybe I'll have to take another look and just find a way to get them out without moving it. Pulling the motor might be a solid idea but I'm a pretty big guy from lifting weights so maneuvering into tight spaces isn't really something I'm good at these days.

I'm 5'11'' and the seat is in a perfect position for me but I'm planning a road trip to so cal in about 2 months for some skimboarding and my little sister is going with me. I was going to let her drive the car the other day to get use to it so she can swap shifts with me and that is when we noticed the problem. It was like the one thing I forgot to check out on the test drive when I got it last week.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
dmax

There's no way a socket would fit in there, but I'm telling you, I'm pretty confident that you could get an open ended wrench on the bolt/nut (forget which it is in the back).

The rail's inside edge is low, and if you hold the wrench down at, say 45 degrees, it will fit on the nut...the wrench is held on the inside of the rail, perpendicular to it...down at an angle.

All I can say is that's what I think and I wouldn't have written this if there was no way. Not sure how nimble you are, and not saying it would be easy squirming to get on it...but give it a try...you'd know in a minute or two if I'm right or not.

You're welcome anyway!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Is this a vert? (If so you will have a 5th bolt 5/8 way down rail on left side) Here's how i removed a power seat that wasn't going back/forward. I removed the motor itself from under the seat. Raise the seat if possible to give a little clearance. Using torx bits I painstakingly removed the motor, it will have a small amount of wiring / plug. I connected the motor directly to batt power and the motor worked, I held it in place to move the seat forwards/backwards (with help from a friend to hold wire ends to battery and to switch poles to reverse direction I was able to move the seat around to remove all (5 in my case) bolts and remove the seat. I never did figure out why my motor wouldn't work in the car, even after checking for broken wires etc. This is what worked for me at least I could get the seat moving. You could if your motor is dead perhaps steal one from the tilt side and put it to move seat back/forward.

Last edited by Brinkley; 04-30-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
headrec

I will give it another go either tomorrow or the next day. Decided to try and tackle the sprinklers on my new home today. That turned out to be quite the project.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I'm sure the obvious checking the fuse has been done? I have seen the connectors under the seat make the motor work intermittently.
Try lifting the seat up by using the back seat passenger tilt lever. I would shake the wire harness while holding the power seat button and see if its really a bad motor or just the seat harness connector.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
dmax

Don't tell me that seat lifts up manually and reveals the nut/bolts. If so...nice catch, Alex!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Don't tell me that seat lifts up manually and reveals the nut/bolts. If so...nice catch, Alex!
Not always, but if OP is lucky the seat may just be in the right position to see the nuts