E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Buy a foot. You can use any hose of the correct internal diameter and is called "Fuel Injector" hose. FI hose is rated for higher pressures than regular fuel hose.
I tried the generic parts store hose labled "fuel injector hose" with the correct id/od and it leaked two years later despite the clamps being super tight. this happened to someone else here as well.

is that what you installed on your car? what car did you have before the e46? just curious

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I tried the generic parts store hose labled "fuel injector hose" with the correct id/od and it leaked two years later despite the clamps being super tight. this happened to someone else here as well.

is that what you installed on your car? what car did you have before the e46? just curious
I'll let you know when my "generic" FI hose leaks. It's not going to. BTW, there is such thing as too tight for hose clamps.

There is nothing special about BMW hose. At all. There is no reason to go out of your way to buy "Genuine BMW" hose that BMW just ordered from some supplier and had their logo printed on it.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-29-2013 at 01:28 PM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I'll let you know when my "generic" FI hose leaks. It's not going to. BTW, there is such thing as too tight for hose clamps.

There is nothing special about BMW hose. At all. There is no reason to go out of your way to buy "Genuine BMW" hose that BMW just ordered from some supplier and had their logo printed on it.
I generally agree about parts like that but there's been a few people across various forums who have had auto parts store injector hose leak. I've owned 6 BMWs and did fuel filters on all of them using BMW line. never a leak. the time I used auto parts store, i get a leak.

BTW, it's not like the BMW stuff is expensive. it's stupid cheap at our vendor sites. I order it with other stuff and rmeuropean, bmaparts, etc. just tosses it in the box. it's only a few bucks. YOU are actually going out of your way to drive to the auto parts store not sure why you insist on auto parts store line

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 04-29-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
WDE46

Quote:
I generally agree about parts like that but there's been a few people across various forums who have had auto parts store injector hose leak. I've owned 6 BMWs and did fuel filters on all of them using BMW line. never a leak. the time I used auto parts store, i get a leak.

BTW, it's not like the BMW stuff is expensive. it's stupid cheap at our vendor sites. I order it with other stuff and rmeuropean, bmaparts, etc. just tosses it in the box. it's only a few bucks. YOU are actually going out of your way to drive to the auto parts store not sure why you insist on auto parts store line
I mean out of your way as in maybe you bought the filter already and forgot to order hose. No need to order just hose from some site to get BMW hose, just go to the store.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
I had some doubts as to whether or not there was some sensibility sloshing about in that brain of yours, but when you start implying that BMW fuel line is superior to just about 99% of what you find in the Auto parts store I KNOW you've lost it brah
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I mean out of your way as in maybe you bought the filter already and forgot to order hose. No need to order just hose from some site to get BMW hose, just go to the store.
you conveniently ignore the fact that other users have reported leaks using auto parts store hose.

not a job you want to do twice for no reason.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
WDE46

Quote:
you conveniently ignore the fact that other users have reported leaks using auto parts store hose.

not a job you want to do twice for no reason.
I ignore BS. That's all. Get non-shitty hose from a store and you'll be fine.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I ignore BS. That's all. Get non-shitty hose from a store and you'll be fine.
how would you determine what you are buying is "non-shitty"?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
WDE46

Quote:
how would you determine what you are buying is "non-shitty"?
Reputable brand.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Mine

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
haha I've had my new fuel filter sitting on my desk in the garage for like 6 months.

PPI mech said mine was original. LOL! I have 165K miles.

It's almost like I'm scared of changing it because it'll mess up the delicate ecosystem of high mileage mechanical symbiosis going on in my Betsy.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #32
AlexD330

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
I was going to post the same thing...

Anyways, Just turned 150k. Plan on doing this this coming weekend... Pump seems to be fine?

I do have a lean code that pops on every once and a while. Kind of annoying and Ive replaced all the intake tubes, DISA, etc. so that basically leaves me with fuel system. Hoping its the filter to solve it once and for all.
April Dub Mix Out NOW!
AlexD330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Real OEM Calls this Vacuum Line Part # 11727545323, Mango do you know if the stuff from BMA is Fuel Rated? Just shows it as 3.3x1.8 and Real OEM Calls for 3.5x1.8?

Thoughts?

Joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #34
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Reputable brand.
And what are reputable brands? BTW, you didn't mention what car you had before your E46?

I'll just leave this here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-OEM-Fuel-Line

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #35
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Ripping apart a metal container full of gasoline; what could possibly go wrong!
Aluminum doesn't spark.

Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #36
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Real OEM Calls this Vacuum Line Part # 11727545323, Mango do you know if the stuff from BMA is Fuel Rated? Just shows it as 3.3x1.8 and Real OEM Calls for 3.5x1.8?

Thoughts?

Joe
The vacuum line doesn't touch fuel, so no worries there. It merely helps to operate the pressure regulator. There is a small piece of the tubing connected to the top of the filter that you'll probably tear when replacing the filter, so you might as well keep some vacuum tube around.

Mango, I owned a Jeep before this car. I have no idea what that has to do with anything. Reputable hose manufacturers? IDK, the only one I know off the top of my head is Gates. This argument is absolutely ridiculous. I'm done. By your logic, every car on the road is going down the road with leaking fuel lines.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-29-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
The vacuum line doesn't touch fuel, so no worries there. It merely helps to operate the pressure regulator. There is a small piece of the tubing connected to the top of the filter that you'll probably tear when replacing the filter, so you might as well keep some vacuum tube around.

Mango, I owned a Jeep before this car. I have no idea what that has to do with anything. Reputable hose manufacturers? IDK, the only one I know off the top of my head is Gates. This argument is absolutely ridiculous. I'm done. By your logic, every car on the road is going down the road with leaking fuel lines.
it is ridiculous. all things are not created equal and you should know that being on this forum. just because a store sells something doesn't mean it's up to spec. As I said, you are going out of your way to buy your auto parts store hose when our wonderful vendors here sell the Genuine BMW line for cheap. Why take a chance with fuel and something that's so difficult to access? I certainly learned the hard way when I installed auto parts store hose myself. I thought to myself "it should be the same industry-standard stuff" but obviously it wasn't. Lots of people have echoed my experience as well.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #38
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Ripping apart a metal container full of gasoline; what could possibly go wrong!

I just swapped mine out at 78K miles and had the same thought about wanting to see what the inside looked like. But then my intense fear of being burned to death took over and I decided that some things are just best left unknown!
It's an Al container that won't spark easily and contains a tablespoon of gas if drained before opening.
I cut mine open at 77K and it looked just like a brand new one would look if you hacksawed it open. Clean as a whistle after driving cross country seven times and filling from every off brand station I could find with the cheapest gas in town. So it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you have a dirty filter.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #39
stoner4567

My Ride: 76 2002 and 04 330i
Quote:

I am going to have to agree with WDE46 on this one. I have used Gates, HBD, and others for years on my old cars and I have never had any issues whatsoever. I normally change my fuel filters every other year and never have seen any brittleness or cracking on fuel lines up to 10 years old. I am not disputing that Mango had issues with the auto store lines he installed, I am just stating that from my experience they are fine to use. If you are ordering a filter online it makes sense to order the hoses with it for convenience but if you forget I wouldn't panic over using generic.

Last edited by stoner4567; 04-29-2013 at 03:05 PM.
stoner4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #40
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner4567 View Post
I am going to have to agree with WDE46 on this one. I have used Gates, HBD, and others for years on my old cars and I have never had any issues whatsoever. I normally change my fuel filters every other year and never have seen any brittleness or cracking on fuel lines up to 10 years old. I am not disputing that Mango had issues with the auto store lines he installed, I am just stating that from my experience they are fine to use. If you are ordering a filter on line it makes sense to order the hoses with it for convenience but if you forget I wouldn't panic over using generic.
I wouldn't panic either, but my point is rather to be intelligent in your approach.

For a few pennies more (if that--hell, it's probably even cheaper) the smart, safe bet is to use Genuine BMW fuel line.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS