E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #41
stoner4567

My Ride: 76 2002 and 04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I wouldn't panic either, but my point is rather to be intelligent in your approach.

For a few pennies more (if that--hell, it's probably even cheaper) the smart, safe bet is to use Genuine BMW fuel line.
You calling me dumb?

Seriously though, I agree that you should try to remember to order fuel lines when you order your filter. I will be changing mine at some point in the next few months and will certainly do that. I just think its worth giving a second opinion so that anyone reading who may have generic lines isn't freaking out thinking they have made a mistake.
stoner4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #42
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner4567 View Post
You calling me dumb?

Seriously though, I agree that you should try to remember to order fuel lines when you order your filter. I will be changing mine at some point in the next few months and will certainly do that. I just think its worth giving a second opinion so that anyone reading who may have generic lines isn't freaking out thinking they have made a mistake.
That's the whole point. When I did the filter, I forgot to order hose and clamps.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #43
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner4567 View Post
You calling me dumb?

It should be in the back of their minds though that they may leak. I think the problem with aftermarket lines is they get brittle/hard and lose their ability to seal. When I removed my generic lines only after two years, they were already very hard/stiff and that's probably why they were leaking.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #44
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I have had mine in the box in the garage for 6 months now... I'll need to get some hose and clamps and get it done this weekend!

Anyone know the size right of the top of your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #45
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I have had mine in the box in the garage for 6 months now... I'll need to get some hose and clamps and get it done this weekend!

Anyone know the size right of the top of your head?
Genuine BMW 8x13 i believe.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #46
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I drive by several BMW dealerships... I might as well stop there. Just ask for a few feet of fuel hose? What about the vacuum hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #47
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I drive by several BMW dealerships... I might as well stop there. Just ask for a few feet of fuel hose? What about the vacuum hose?
you just need one foot. vacuum hose just get a couple feet. might need it for other stuff in the engine bay or friends cars

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #48
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Anyone tried to blow through the filter before cutting? If it's really clogged up you can hardly do so.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #49
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Anyone tried to blow through the filter before cutting? If it's really clogged up you can hardly do so.
sounds like a job for dmax

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #50
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan
This is why you replace your fuel filter!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adionik View Post
If you jack up one side of the car it will throw off the BMW fuel asymmetry sensor and can cause your entire fuel system to implode. This will also take out your water pump, window regulator and pillar cloth as apart of the BMW limp mode system.

jk

Buy part #: 13327512019
You forgot that would set off the moo sensor

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

brown magic
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #51
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
sounds like a job for dmax
smh You're so lucky I have a horrible sense of humor!

I actually rigged up a fuse to it, found some farmland, and it actually exploded...killed two Mourning Doves, a Starling, lacerated 3 squirrels and a chipmunk. Of course I took the rodents to a local rehabilitation hospital...fn conscience.

You behave...don't batcall me for blowing tasks, but if you run into a cooling issue you want me to make up something about, be glad to help!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #52
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
It should be in the back of their minds though that they may leak. I think the problem with aftermarket lines is they get brittle/hard and lose their ability to seal. When I removed my generic lines only after two years, they were already very hard/stiff so I removed them and added them to my hard and stiff hose collection which I keep in a box under my bed. I know it seems weird to you guys, but, I feel like I learn from the relics from my car, and I've always had a thing for hard and stiff hoses. I think it's dmax's fault.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 04-29-2013 at 07:22 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #53
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
smh You're so lucky I have a horrible sense of humor!

I actually rigged up a fuse to it, found some farmland, and it actually exploded...killed two Mourning Doves, a Starling, lacerated 3 squirrels and a chipmunk. Of course I took the rodents to a local rehabilitation hospital...fn conscience.

You behave...don't batcall me for blowing tasks, but if you run into a cooling issue you want me to make up something about, be glad to help!
you won't be let anywhere near zoos any time soon!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #54
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
When I removed my generic lines only after two years, they were already very hard/stiff and that's probably why they were leaking.
I wonder if your bad luck with plastic and rubber parts is associated with where you live. I'm guessing LA basin. Don't they have high ozone levels there on occasion? And it might be warmer than some areas. Both things that seem to hard on plastic/rubber. Just something I've been curious about.

For the rest of the readers. BMW recommends replacing the fuel filter every 60,000 miles. It seems prudent to replace hoses that attach to it at the same time. Might as well use BMW hoses (or continental, I think they are the likely maker). Likely any good hose is fine. But a good hose will cost about the same as the official BMW stuff. If your vacuum or fuel line costs less than you expect - there is probably a reason for that - either it is cheap crap, or it has been sitting on the shelf for many years - or both. My experience over the years is sometimes parts store hose is good - sometimes it is crap - the "discount" type stores are more likely to have the crap. It is interesting that BMW does not seem to have a replacement schedule for these hoses. I assume they intend that they be replaced whenever the part they connect to needs replacing.
dknightd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #55
AlexD330

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
I wonder if your bad luck with plastic and rubber parts is associated with where you live. I'm guessing LA basin. Don't they have high ozone levels there on occasion? And it might be warmer than some areas. Both things that seem to hard on plastic/rubber. Just something I've been curious about.

For the rest of the readers. BMW recommends replacing the fuel filter every 60,000 miles. It seems prudent to replace hoses that attach to it at the same time. Might as well use BMW hoses (or continental, I think they are the likely maker). Likely any good hose is fine. But a good hose will cost about the same as the official BMW stuff. If your vacuum or fuel line costs less than you expect - there is probably a reason for that - either it is cheap crap, or it has been sitting on the shelf for many years - or both. My experience over the years is sometimes parts store hose is good - sometimes it is crap - the "discount" type stores are more likely to have the crap. It is interesting that BMW does not seem to have a replacement schedule for these hoses. I assume they intend that they be replaced whenever the part they connect to needs replacing.
During college I was a Parts Sales Manager at Autozone and Continental was our brand of all fuel and vacuum line that we sold. SO by what you're saying, OEM BMW quality, is Autozone quality and Vise Versa.

This could solve the whole debate.
April Dub Mix Out NOW!
AlexD330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #56
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
The vacuum line doesn't touch fuel, so no worries there. It merely helps to operate the pressure regulator. There is a small piece of the tubing connected to the top of the filter that you'll probably tear when replacing the filter, so you might as well keep some vacuum tube around.

Mango, I owned a Jeep before this car. I have no idea what that has to do with anything. Reputable hose manufacturers? IDK, the only one I know off the top of my head is Gates. This argument is absolutely ridiculous. I'm done. By your logic, every car on the road is going down the road with leaking fuel lines.
Every car going down the road is leaking. Leaking all sorts of stuff. Fuel is one of them. Ever notice the center of the lanes on the highway are darker than near the lines???

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #57
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Thanks for the thread guys. The fuel filter is on my list (a growing list, I might add) of things to replace this year.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #58
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Thanks for the thread guys. The fuel filter is on my list (a growing list, I might add) of things to replace this year.
My lost grows n grows. I've had the car for 3 years and have done about 20 to 30 things and none of them are modifications, all of them are maintenance and up keep and pick up where the last owners forgot to do the most basics.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #59
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD330 View Post
During college I was a Parts Sales Manager at Autozone and Continental was our brand of all fuel and vacuum line that we sold. SO by what you're saying, OEM BMW quality, is Autozone quality and Vise Versa.

This could solve the whole debate.
Maybe, if we knew Continental only made one quality of hoses. I don't know that. Do you? I suspect they make different product for different market. But I could be wrong. I've actually had good luck with autozone parts - it is my chain store of choice, after napa. But it could be a coin toss kind of thing. How long ago were you in college.

I'm actually more interested if Mango thinks his environment is harder on hoses that most people experience.
dknightd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #60
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by epistaxis2008 View Post
My list grows n grows. I've had the car for 3 years and have done about 20 to 30 things and none of them are modifications, all of them are maintenance and up keep and pick up where the last owners forgot to do the most basics.
In the past year, I've spent about $4,300 on maintenance & tires on my four cars. I feel your pain. That's less than $400/month, and I don't have a car payment.

I feel pretty good about it.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote