E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #81
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Example!!! Let's say a car is made for 10 years and brand-x makes a part for that car. At first there is no set number of production pieces that will actually make it off the assembly line. So brand-x makes 1,000,000 parts for that car. But after 10 years they only make 900,000 of those cars and it turns out that that piece was not opted to be used in any other model of car made by that or any other company on earth. So truthfully the part is mainly useless unless?... What is brand-x supposed to do with 100,000 extra parts??? They can melt em down and recycle them, one option or they can mark the price down and sell them world wide to parts stores and dealers to use for REPAIRS...to do this they usually but not always remove the O.E.M. stamp so it does not need that branded markup!

So there is a possibility that someone on earth bought original parts an an unbeliveable price, so unbelievable that some people might spend hours, days, and weeks arguing about it on a single car model fan page til they turn blue in the race despite the fact that they are a complete moron for not understanding basic economics.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

Last edited by epistaxis2008; 04-30-2013 at 10:40 AM.
epistaxis2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #82
tech9018

My Ride: BMW
I can't believe you are all arguing over rubber hose...

I can promise BWM Genuine fuel line is not produced by BMW... Its a third party manufacture that produces rubber hose for dozens of aftermarket providers and other car manufactures. Mostly likely stamping BMW's little roundel on the hose to show the quality is approved by BMW. Quite possibly multiple manufactures producing rubber products for BMW over the years, depending who was bidding the lowest for a particular product. I highly doubt BMW would go through the expense of tooling an entire rubber producing plant to make hoses for their cars when out sourcing these types of small parts is much more cost efficient. I have replaced dozens of fuel filters on dozens of different cars with quality fuel line of many types with out problems. I can assure you BMW fuel line does not have magic noleak pixie dust infused in it.
These conversations on this forum are becoming asinine.

My Ride:
2001~2979cc~4 Doors~ZSP~Sunroof Delete~No Folding Rear Seats~Schwarz

Mods:
Enkei~Dinan~Powerflex~Bilstein~Eibach~RCR
...And a whole lot of maintenance

Last edited by tech9018; 04-30-2013 at 10:49 AM.
tech9018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #83
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech9018 View Post

I can promise BWM Genuine fuel line is not produced by BMW... Its a third party manufacture that produces rubber hose for dozens of aftermarket providers and other car manufactures. Mostly likely stamping BMW's little roundel on the hose to show the quality is approved by BMW. Quite possibly multiple manufactures producing rubber products for BMW over the years, depending who was bidding the lowest for a particular product. I highly doubt BMW would go through the expense of tooling an entire rubber producing plant to make hoses for their cars when out sourcing these types of small parts is much more cost efficient. I have replaced dozens of fuel filters on dozens of different cars with quality fuel line of many types with out problems. I can assure you BMW fuel line does not have magic noleak pixie dust infused in it.
No sh!t it's probably produced by supplier. That's not the point. The point is it's cheaper than the hose at the auto parts store and "guaranteed" not to give you any problems because it's spec'd for your car and you can be assured it's quality vs some random crap at Autozone. Everyone knows this information. You aren't bringing anything new to the table.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #84
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I wish. I lent out the hose to a friend for the fuel filter job on his car. i'm not sure when i'll get it back.

Here you go: $7. Says BMW right on it. Call and ask when available.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._F810D58B.aspx
Nice! Too bad they do not have it in stock.
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #85
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Nice! Too bad they do not have it in stock.
Try other stores. the point is to give you an idea it does exist @ $7/meter. That's $2.33 a foot. Autozone will charge you about $5 for a foot. You're paying more than twice the price at Autozone to potentially shoot yourself in the foot. Play it safe and pay half? No brainer?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #86
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
Try other stores. the point is to give you an idea it does exist @ $7/meter. That's $2.33 a foot. Autozone will charge you about $5 for a foot. You're paying more than twice the price at Autozone to potentially shoot yourself in the foot. Play it safe and pay half? No brainer?
Just tried other stores with furiousmethod. Nobody has BMW hose at that price anymore. Everybody has aftermarket at that price. Contitech, CRP, etc...
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #87
tech9018

Quote:
No sh!t it's probably produced by supplier. That's not the point. The point is it's cheaper than the hose at the auto parts store and "guaranteed" not to give you any problems because it's spec'd for your car and you can be assured it's quality vs some random crap at Autozone. Everyone knows this information. You aren't bringing anything new to the table.
If you agree with me than your point is mute. If a third party supplier is making hose for BMW, they must also be making it for other name brands. Meaning the same quality hose is sold without the Roundel. And the Sh!t I'm bringing to the table is far more logical to the un-car-educated people here who are trying to learn something; than your "nothing new to the table"--"Do it all" buy only BMW mentality.

My Ride:

Mods:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #88
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
If you agree with me than your point is mute. If a third party supplier is making hose for BMW, they must also be making it for other name brands. Meaning the same quality hose is sold without the Roundel. And the Sh!t I'm bringing to the table is far more logical to the un-car-educated people here who are trying to learn something; than your "nothing new to the table"--"Do it all" buy only BMW mentality.
You're forgetting that there is more than one manufacturer of hoses. If I could be assured that I'm not getting some Chinese crap made at the lowest possible standard, then aftermarket is fine

Contitech hoses are most likely more than adequate. They already make a bunch of other rubber parts for BMW (belts and coolant hoses come to mind)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-30-2013 at 11:10 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #89
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
"They must" is not good enough. You cannot guarantee that all fuel hose sold in North American auto parts store is from the same supplier as BMW. And again, you conveniently ignore the experiences I posted about auto parts store line not only costing twice the amount, but also causing problems with leaks for myself and other members from this forum as well as others. Again, you bring nothing to the table here.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #90
tech9018

Something New to the table...

After some research. Looks like Dayco provides some fuel rubber products to BMW. Mainly some rubber seals provided in the fuel tank and cap system. (verified)... Must be a quality product. Perhaps they also produce rubber line for BMW. (can't verify this yet) working on it.

Suppliers list.

http://www.dayco.com/global-oem-customers

Hey look, Autozone sells Dayco fuel line.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=298561_0_0_

My Ride:

Mods:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #91
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Something New to the table...

After some research. Looks like Dayco provides some fuel rubber products to BMW. Mainly some rubber seals provided in the fuel tank and cap system. (verified)... Must be a quality product. Perhaps they also produce rubber line for BMW. (can't verify this yet) working on it.

Suppliers list.

http://www.dayco.com/global-oem-customers

Hey look, Autozone sells Dayco fuel line.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=298561_0_0_
Again, you can't assume all Autozones stock the same product across the country. Why not play it safe and save money at the same time by purchasing known quality product? Why even argue this?

The known good stuff is cheaper.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #92
tech9018

"Why even argue this?"

Agreed...

My Ride:

Mods:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #93
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
"Why even argue this?"

Agreed...
You're being silly and you know it. You're defending paying more for an inferior product. Would you buy a chinese-made replica E46 for twice the price? BUT IT LOOKS DA SAME!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #94
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:

95% of the car is NOT made by BMW. BMW merely designs the vehicle, contracts out the manufacturing of parts, controls quality policies, and then assembles everything.

BTW this hose argument is the most pathetic argument on E46F of all time. That's why I opted out a while ago.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #95
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
95% of the car is NOT made by BMW. BMW merely designs the vehicle, contracts out the manufacturing of parts, controls quality policies, and then assembles everything.
yeah yeah yeah teenagers everywhere know this.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #96
tech9018

Quote:
You're being silly and you know it. You're defending paying more for an inferior product. Would you buy a chinese-made replica E46 for twice the price? BUT IT LOOKS DA SAME!!
Really, do we need to keep pushing???

My Ride:

Mods:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #97
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Really, do we need to keep pushing???
You're the clear minority here. Maybe it's you that is pushing.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #98
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Mango, Thanks.

Looks like that part was superseded to 16121180409 which is a same size hose. Why on earth would BMW create so many different 8x13 MM Fuel Hoses? This part is $17.00 from BMW and the 13537563456 is over $58.00. If part # 16121180409 is good enough for the E36 M3 and E34 M5 it should be sufficient.

Crazy BMW!

Joe

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #99
tech9018

Quote:
You're the clear minority here. Maybe it's you that is pushing.

My Ride:

Mods:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #100
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Mango, Thanks.

Looks like that part was superseded to 16121180409 which is a same size hose. Why on earth would BMW create so many different 8x13 MM Fuel Hoses? This part is $17.00 from BMW and the 13537563456 is over $58.00. If part # 16121180409 is good enough for the E36 M3 and E34 M5 it should be sufficient.

Crazy BMW!

Joe
Thanks for the part# update.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._1FAEF62B.aspx

In stock. $4 a foot. Still cheaper than Autozone.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS