E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Question NAVI replacement

AFTER REALIZING THAT THERE WAS A SPECIFIC PLACE TO ASK THIS KIND OF QUESTION, I SHALL NOW ASK AGAIN. Feel like a derp.

So. I tried to ask for advice before with no luck. Here goes again.

To make a long story short, my M3 has the HK Nav system. Now, the entire system was stolen except for the amp. Cables were cut and what not (this was all in the previous owners time). Now, what I'm wondering is:

1. Has anyone installed a aftermarket system on the stock NAV harness OTHER THAN DYNAVIN?

2. Does anyone know where such work could be done around the DC\NoVa\MD area?

3. Has anyone done it themselves or know of anyone who's done it?

I really could care less about nav, I'm just getting tired of not having any music...makes for some awkward car rides at times.
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
The easiest thing to do would be replace your whole system if you have any intention of doing so. That would mean you wouldn't have to repair the stock harness... which would be very costly.

Some thoughts:

- You will need to cut the air ducts to install a double din H/U (what I'm assuming you want).
- Don't know exactly where- ask on diymobileaudio for shop recommendations
- The easiest thing to do from a wiring perspective would be to find 12v switched power, and then run a set of RCAs to the rear and basically skip using the stock harness at all. That'd require you to get a new amplifier though.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
The easiest thing to do would be replace your whole system if you have any intention of doing so. That would mean you wouldn't have to repair the stock harness... which would be very costly.

Some thoughts:

- You will need to cut the air ducts to install a double din H/U (what I'm assuming you want).
- Don't know exactly where- ask on diymobileaudio for shop recommendations
- The easiest thing to do from a wiring perspective would be to find 12v switched power, and then run a set of RCAs to the rear and basically skip using the stock harness at all. That'd require you to get a new amplifier though.
Double din would be nice, but honestly I dont really care. Single din is fine, because I want to use my tablet in the car as my GPS, and Audio\Video source.

As for replacing the HK amp, I'm ok with that too. I think i see what you're saying though, basically tap into a 12v wire for power. But, (excuse me im a noob with wiring) how then would I tap into the speakers if I'm not using the stock harness? Or is that where the new amp comes into play?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
Just go on craiglist and piece something together.
Get a decent HU
4 channel amp (run the fronts off 2 channels and the sub off the other 2 bridged)
a set of 5 1/4 inch component speakers (probably buy these new)
a small subwoofer
Then get the cabling.
Just bypass everything and run new cables. The only thing you need to find is the 12v in the dash for the stereo so it turns on and off with the car. You can ground the stereo to the body if you can't find the stock ground. You can run cables in the trunk from the batter to the amp.
RCA and remote cables from the front to the trunk.
Then run speaker wires into the doors.

You should be able to get a decent amp and HU for under $200, maybe $100.. Its just a matter of knowing what is worthwhile and what is crap, which can't be summed up in this post.

Last edited by scott0482; 05-01-2013 at 10:34 PM.
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Eisenheim

Re: NAVI replacement

I actually never considered just completely bypassing the harness... And running new wires. I feel like such a derp now. Might aswell replace all the speakers too... Looks like its gonna be a fun weekend job! Thanks for the replies, i think im starting to get somewhere with this now!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Grande D

You can use the stock wiring from the stock amplifier location to the speakers. Just run RCAs to the back for the source/signal wire. There is a thread within the sticky at the top of this page with a full listing of what wires are which.

If you want to make it easy, buy the Technic adapter harness for the amplifier connection. That's assuming they did not steal the stock amplifier.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
You can use the stock wiring from the stock amplifier location to the speakers. Just run RCAs to the back for the source/signal wire. There is a thread within the sticky at the top of this page with a full listing of what wires are which.

If you want to make it easy, buy the Technic adapter harness for the amplifier connection. That's assuming they did not steal the stock amplifier.
The only thing left in the car is the stock amp. Good to know i can get an adapter for that plug though. Ive got a friend who is good at wiring, so hes gonna help me, but all this info is quite helpfull. I was kinda lost since i havent been able to find anyone who had done this particular thing with a navi car. Now ive got some reassurance haha

Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenheim View Post
The only thing left in the car is the stock amp. Good to know i can get an adapter for that plug though. Ive got a friend who is good at wiring, so hes gonna help me, but all this info is quite helpfull. I was kinda lost since i havent been able to find anyone who had done this particular thing with a navi car. Now ive got some reassurance haha

If the stock amplifier and stock speakers are in place, you're good to go. The stock BMW speaker wire is actually quite good. It'd cost a good chunk to beat it.

Here's the harness:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14111911

Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Eisenheim

Awesome. PM'd him. Hope he's still making them! Thanks for the link man. I really appreciate it!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Eisenheim

So, here's what I have so far.

KENWOOD KDC-655U
KENWOOD KAC-2404S 500 WATT 4-CHANNEL CAR AUDIO AMPLIFIER
E46 3 Series Car Stereo Radio Installation Dash Kit (Just the Fascia)

So the plan is this.

Use the existing OEM Navigation harness for power and speaker wire only. Then, run the RCA cables for the aftermarket amp to the trunk from the head unit. Now, to use the existing speaker wire, i'll have to run wires from the head unit, back to the harness in the trunk...correct?