E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
travisn

My Ride: 01 325i
Auto vs. Manual Radiators.

So as part of the cooling system overhaul I am changing the radiator.

(as far as I know the fact that the radiator is from an automatic car and mine is not is irrelevant to this situation)

This is in regards to the little shield/bracket that the expansion tank clips to, the shield that was on my car appears to be missing something, but I don't ever remember seeing anything there nor is anything extra left over.

This little hole (see picture) is leaking and there is nothing to cover it. the whole piece also doesnt sit flush along the bottom edge of the radiator either. I have tried this on both my old radiator and the 'new' one, same situation. I did find that the auto shield has a o-ring on it and from searching I found the autos use that hole as a heat exchanger for the tranny. If I put the o-ring on the manual shield from the auto shield that came with the radiator it does seal a bit, and it would probably work, except the hole in the middle goes to atmosphere.

the hole in question is in the upper left of this picture

'different' view

you can see there that it goes straight through to nothing. this hole is unused for my car yet it appears on both radiators.

part I am having problems with is #1

I know first thought is to just use a radiator from a manual car but it's still a problem with the radiator that came off the car. It wasn't a problem originally which leads me to believe I am just missing something in the garage but I can't find anything nor do I know what I am looking for since nothing is listed on realoem and any pictures I googled for the part look exactly like what I have. (the reason i am changing the radiator is because it leaked and the PO used some sort of epoxy to try to fix it)

Thanks!

edit: The solution is the little plug that screws into the bottom under that hole: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...7&postcount=11 Thanks Kent330i for the heads up!

Last edited by travisn; 07-05-2011 at 12:41 AM.
travisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I think we've had a couple like that in the last few weeks.

It does matter if the radiator is made for a manny or auto. On manny, that hole isn't a hole. In a manny rad, the only holes at the bottom...if memory serves, go into the ET bracket.

Sounds like the PO tried to fix another 'auto' radiator. In part, I think this is BMWs fault for making an auto trans...but what you gonna do?

Call where you got it from and ask them if they sent you the radiator for the manny or auto. They should get a replacement to you.

I think the hole is for the trans cooler and so an automatic would need this whereas a manny wouldn't.

I'll say I'm around 94% that I'm right...sorry!

Have a look at the radiator for the auto trans in realoem...and then the cooler for trans.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 07-04-2011 at 05:46 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
travisn

Right but you missed my point, the car did not have a problem there previously (it was cracked where the upper radiator hose came in) and I am using the part that has been on the car the whole time. That shield I'm using is way different than the one for the auto tranny as that one has a part that provides the other half of the tube for the heat exchanger circuit. There is no way that part would clip to the one I am trying to use.

Maybe Friday I'll have time to go to the dealer and compare parts.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisn View Post
Right but you missed my point, the car did not have a problem there previously (it was cracked where the upper radiator hose came in) and I am using the part that has been on the car the whole time. That shield I'm using is way different than the one for the auto tranny as that one has a part that provides the other half of the tube for the heat exchanger circuit. There is no way that part would clip to the one I am trying to use.

Maybe Friday I'll have time to go to the dealer and compare parts.
It sounded like your radiator had a hole into it where the manual radiator doesn't have one. The bracket is different also and I know you have the right bracket.

I think visiting the dealer to compare is a good idea...should tell you what's up right away.

D

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
travisn

Nope both radiators have that hole :/

fml.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
dmax

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...or+manual+hole

This thread might explain better...sounds just like your issue...not the posts at the end...they both have a hole, but one of the holes goes through and the other doesn't. Fill the old one or stick a wire into the hole to see if it's really going into the radiator.

A recent set

Old 07-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
travisn

hmm, so in an automatic radiator that hole is internally open to the radiator and on the manual radiator the hole is internally closed, yet still there.

damnit.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
dmax

Quote:
hmm, so in an automatic radiator that hole is internally open to the radiator and on the manual radiator the hole is internally closed, yet still there.

damnit.
Like I said...if it's the same 'hole' Stick a wire in and see how far it goes in both.

A recent set

Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
travisn

well it makes too much sense now, time to buy more parts to take advantage of the extra down time. lol
Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
travisn

problem fixed!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...7&postcount=11
Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Where does the automatic transmission cooler plug into? Is is a lower bracket or is it part of the radiator? This might be another difference in auto vs. manual...

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
dmax

Quote:
Great! But, I read that post and I'm curious what it was...you had the wrong radiator adjusting screw, or no 0-ring behind the mounting screw...or something like that!

Anyway, whatever it was, glad to hear you're all good. Let us know, for the record.

A recent set

Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
travisn

It was this:

Thats the only difference between the two radiators. The expansion tank is the same, just a different fitting goes in the bottom and the 'shield' thing is different. Radiator hoses are the same.

I will post up to confirm once I have it back together and not leaking...

Last edited by travisn; 07-05-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
Like 3 weeks ago I changed the radiator and mine is Auto.
When I bought the radiator, it comes with the both plugs. So I used only auto one and still have a manual one.

Do you need it?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
travisn

nah, dealer had it in stock for $5.77. Thanks though.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Which is why Behr radiators

Got rid of those shenanigans and just included a threaded plastic bolt in place of the said shenanigans
Old 07-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
travisn

Well it is to let coolant to go the auto trans heat exchanger if necessary, so it makes sense why it is there. The parts guy at bmw says the radiators they get don't come with the plugs installed as the tech has to put the appropriate one in per application.

Regardless, problem solved, I don't believe you can reuse the old one if you are swapping because there little lock tangs that get broken upon removal (the little 'wing' on the right side short plug in the above picture)
Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Well it is to let coolant to go the auto trans heat exchanger if necessary, so it makes sense why it is there. The parts guy at bmw says the radiators they get don't come with the plugs installed as the tech has to put the appropriate one in per application.

Regardless, problem solved, I don't believe you can reuse the old one if you are swapping because there little lock tangs that get broken upon removal (the little 'wing' on the right side short plug in the above picture)
So this little "winged" plug, the shorter one that is pictured on the right actually fits into the hole that would otherwise be occupied by the auto transmission cooler? So the auto transmission cooler would fit into the plug on the left if it were an automatic?

I ask this because I converted from auto to manual and wound up leaving my auto transmission cooler in the radiator, plugging off the oil hoses. as a humorous note, during my conversion I mistakenly removed the cooler without draining the radiator ...

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #19
travisn

no. Both plugs have the blue drain plug and 'screw' into the bottom of the radiator. I think I used a 3/4" wrench. It only turns a 1/4 turn or so, and it takes ALOT of force to unscrew it. You will not be reusing the old one so dont worry.

pictures help!

Blue: radiator fluid
Purple: auto plug that lets fluid pass (its longer than the green one)
Green: manual plug that stops fluid
Red: where to apply wrench to remove plug

So once a manual plug is in there is no reason to seal the hole as its just an empty cavity.

Last edited by travisn; 07-06-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
KyleAndrew

My Ride: 2002 e46 330i
Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I have a related question. I just installed a new radiator and as per the large amount of leaking I'm now seeing, I realized that I got an automatic radiator and put it in my manual 330i. It is a Behr.

Is the only difference between the two the drain plug? Can I simply swap out the drain plugs or do I need to get the correct radiator as well?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance
KyleAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote