E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Frame Saving Recoil Buffers and Compensator/Ported Barrels?

My p229 has a little much kick for the wife since it's a .40 cal. I've been reading from a few places about compensated and ported barrels. I've also seen a frame saving recoil buffer that supposedly helps the slide not "ram" back into position after firing.

Any thoughts based on these links?

http://norecoil.com/

http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=229&cco=68

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/sig-sau...dw-357sig.html

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/sig-sau...ig-sauer1.html

http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Product...8/Default.aspx (I've been told that while Jarvis doesn't advertise for Sig's that he does make them).

Side note: the frame saving recoil buffer automatically comes with a steel guide rod whereas my current one is either plastic or hollow steel. Thoughts?

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 05-01-2013 at 02:17 PM.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Be careful with ported barrels. You are going to trade one distraction for another. Compensated barrels don't reduce rearward recoil, but instead reduce muzzle rise. They tend to make the recoil impulse a bit more linear. The unfortunate trade-off is that you now have a lot more concussion from the gun. If you shoot outside, it's a minor-to-moderate issue. If you shoot indoors, it's a major issue. There are specific tactics relating to compensated pistol use, like rotating the gun 45 degrees outward while firing from defensive retention position (hip), etc. However, the major initial problem is that the added concussion and subsequent noise can throw her off and be more of a distractions. If you are using low flash defensive loads, there isn't any flash issues. If you use normal target ammo, you will see a major increase in visible muzzle flash; especially indoors.
I'm not saying don't do it with the compensated barrel, but be aware that there are two sides to the coin. If you can, try one out at a range before you buy one.

Of the 5 females that are at my agency (one just retired), 4/5 can control the recoil of our .40s. Three use a G22, one uses a G23 (detective), and one uses a G22C compensated (another detective). The one that uses the G22C still can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside (another story/issue altogether), but the others don't have compensated pistols and they do fine. Point being, don't necessarily discount the .40 as being too powerful. 9mm is obviously much better, but with practice, the .40S&W is usable by females without a problem. It will just take a bit more time behind the gun to get used to it. I think that instead of compromising the reliability of the gun with added components, it might be a better idea to invest in a 9mm specifically for her. Maybe in the short term your parts will be fine, but it would just be my humble suggestion that you look long term as completely ditching the .40 for her. There is pretty good documentation that the 9mm is much more new-shooter-friendly.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
ryanwhite74115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Be careful with ported barrels. You are going to trade one distraction for another. Compensated barrels don't reduce rearward recoil, but instead reduce muzzle rise. They tend to make the recoil impulse a bit more linear. The unfortunate trade-off is that you now have a lot more concussion from the gun. If you shoot outside, it's a minor-to-moderate issue. If you shoot indoors, it's a major issue. There are specific tactics relating to compensated pistol use, like rotating the gun 45 degrees outward while firing from defensive retention position (hip), etc. However, the major initial problem is that the added concussion and subsequent noise can throw her off and be more of a distractions. If you are using low flash defensive loads, there isn't any flash issues. If you use normal target ammo, you will see a major increase in visible muzzle flash; especially indoors.
I'm not saying don't do it with the compensated barrel, but be aware that there are two sides to the coin. If you can, try one out at a range before you buy one.

Of the 5 females that are at my agency (one just retired), 4/5 can control the recoil of our .40s. Three use a G22, one uses a G23 (detective), and one uses a G22C compensated (another detective). The one that uses the G22C still can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside (another story/issue altogether), but the others don't have compensated pistols and they do fine. Point being, don't necessarily discount the .40 as being too powerful. 9mm is obviously much better, but with practice, the .40S&W is usable by females without a problem. It will just take a bit more time behind the gun to get used to it. I think that instead of compromising the reliability of the gun with added components, it might be a better idea to invest in a 9mm specifically for her. Maybe in the short term your parts will be fine, but it would just be my humble suggestion that you look long term as completely ditching the .40 for her. There is pretty good documentation that the 9mm is much more new-shooter-friendly.
I agree...was just trying to find a bandaid solution. She tried convincing me to get the M&P9...I just loved the Sig (and still do). Maybe I'll look at a 9mm M&P for her.

What about the recoil spring things...heard anything? You are the expert it seems in all things gun related.

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 05-01-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Bar-Sto Precision actually makes a 40/357 Sig to 9MM conversion for P226 and P229 pistols. All you need to do is get the new barrel kit and a couple 9mm mags and your wife can shoot 9mm without needing a new gun altogether.

Link: http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=229
Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I would try the recoil spring first before going to the barrel. Compensated barrels have issues that I tend to think don't bode well for newer shooters who don't need them. For competition, they work. I think that a compensated barrel has no place outside of competition or hunting.
If you go for the recoil spring, make sure that they have a refund policy in case it doesn't work. I would also not recommend that you keep it in the gun while at home, or in any potential defense capacity, until you are positive that it works reliably.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
ryanwhite74115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
Bar-Sto Precision actually makes a 40/357 Sig to 9MM conversion for P226 and P229 pistols. All you need to do is get the new barrel kit and a couple 9mm mags and your wife can shoot 9mm without needing a new gun altogether.

Link: http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=229

My Sig is a .40...it'll stay a .40!

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 05-02-2013 at 02:54 PM.