E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #41
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
E39 M5 uses servotronics to counter the issue, you're just making stuff up. Feels the same as rack and pinion.
It doesn't fix the issue. The steering is still worse than it should be. But it's a big car. You're fooling yourself if you think it can match the feel of an M3 in the corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
I was just thinking the same thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Is it me or does the front of the e39 look too dated in stock form and not in a good way, the rest of the car is though.

The back end is definitely its best angle.
Fergo, what Redline said. The front of the car is quite dated. The E60 looks kinda trashy, but it does look a good deal newer as well.

OP: I'd wait and get an E90 M3 if I were you. They aren't even in the same ball park imo. The E90 M3 makes the E39 M5 feel like an old man.

The E90 M3 will probably be cheaper with maintenance too. It seems they are at least as reliable as the 335i- maybe more so. Save and get a CPO one if you really want to splurge. Wait for an 09+ with the LCI rear end and iDrive HD for extra bonus points.

Last edited by Grande D; 05-03-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #42
Stevo759
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 522
My Ride: M5
Send a message via AIM to Stevo759
I love my e39 m5. Best car I have ever owned. Somewhat expensive for upkeep, but still a DIY car. Raw power, blast to drive. I've had it for about 5 years, and it still makes me smile. Whoever says the steering is bad is out of their mind. I dropped mine on pss9s and its on rails.
__________________
2001 Carbon Black BMW///M5 ............................2001 Turbo Honda S2000
Stevo759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #43
RidinBimmerz
Registered User
 
RidinBimmerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ATL/SW FL
Posts: 2,747
My Ride: Porsche 997 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
hhhnnnngggggggggg




I've sat and ridden in that exact M5. It is probably the nicest e39 M5 in existence. You should see the custom interior and system. It's not even fair. Guy DD's a range rover
__________________

997S X-51 Pack, PCCB, Full Cocoa leather and MUCH more
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #44
:. RaFFi .:
Registered User
 
:. RaFFi .:'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sunland, CA
Posts: 1,173
My Ride: MBZ SL55 ///AMG
Ahhh E39 M5.. I know those feels.
__________________
:. RaFFi .: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #45
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 343
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
It doesn't fix the issue. The steering is still worse than it should be. But it's a big car. You're fooling yourself if you think it can match the feel of an M3 in the corners.
Someone making stuff up again, it doesn't come down to the steering at that point which feels exactly the same as rack and pinion, it's the size of the car... Amazing.
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #46
MINIz guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 368
My Ride: bro truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Someone making stuff up again, it doesn't come down to the steering at that point which feels exactly the same as rack and pinion, it's the size of the car... Amazing.
The recirculating ball steering box is nothing like a rack and pinion in terms of feel. Going back and forth between them, in a M5 and 525i, I still think that the rack and pinion provides much more feedback than the recirculating ball steering could ever provide. The rack and pinion feels more direct and inputs seem more urgent than the recirculating ball steering box.


And for the car in question, I agree that the seller is asking too much. I'd probably try to talk the seller down to $16k and I'd gladly pick that car up.
__________________
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #47
fayraree
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NoVa
Posts: 874
My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
OP: I'd wait and get an E90 M3 if I were you. They aren't even in the same ball park imo. The E90 M3 makes the E39 M5 feel like an old man.

The E90 M3 will probably be cheaper with maintenance too. It seems they are at least as reliable as the 335i- maybe more so. Save and get a CPO one if you really want to splurge. Wait for an 09+ with the LCI rear end and iDrive HD for extra bonus points.
how long would he have to wait though for them to get to his price range?

OP, don't look at this as some sort of investment where you're minimizing losses. follow your heart, the M5 is an epic feat of engineering from the best sport sedan manufacturer during that era. pick up a piece and then get an e90 m3 in a couple of years if that's what you want.
__________________
It's true what they say about vertzzz...
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #48
braymond141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakhurst, Ca
Posts: 1,748
My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
The recirculating ball steering box is nothing like a rack and pinion in terms of feel. Going back and forth between them, in a M5 and 525i, I still think that the rack and pinion provides much more feedback than the recirculating ball steering could ever provide. The rack and pinion feels more direct and inputs seem more urgent than the recirculating ball steering box.


And for the car in question, I agree that the seller is asking too much. I'd probably try to talk the seller down to $16k and I'd gladly pick that car up.
Thanks for backing up my original statement (although having never pushed an E39 M5 in the corners I was unaware they made it better than the 540). I knew I heard M5 owners talk about it negatively. I'm also certain it is safe to say the M5 rack is just as prone to becoming loose over time and needing adjustment like all the rest?

Last edited by braymond141; 05-04-2013 at 03:13 AM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #49
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,410
My Ride: '00 328i
School me on the E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
hhhnnnngggggggggg




Indeed. The read end is drop dead gorgeous. Can't say I love the front end though. Not nearly as much as the rear. Put the m5 rear (especially those tail light) on and e46 front and I'll be in heaven.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #50
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 343
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
The recirculating ball steering box is nothing like a rack and pinion in terms of feel. Going back and forth between them, in a M5 and 525i, I still think that the rack and pinion provides much more feedback than the recirculating ball steering could ever provide. The rack and pinion feels more direct and inputs seem more urgent than the recirculating ball steering box.


And for the car in question, I agree that the seller is asking too much. I'd probably try to talk the seller down to $16k and I'd gladly pick that car up.
rite becuz servotronics on the M5 is useless and duz nothing. 525i could totally out handle an M5 yo.
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag



We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #51
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 3,313
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
rite becuz servotronics on the M5 is useless and duz nothing. 525i could totally out handle an M5 yo.
That's not what he said. Everyone on this forum is tired of your bullshit so go away.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #52
fayraree
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NoVa
Posts: 874
My Ride: 04 M3 vert
School me on the E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
That's not what he said. Everyone on this forum is tired of your bullshit so go away.
This.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
It's true what they say about vertzzz...
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #53
Ballistic325
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,191
My Ride: slow and steady
Beautiful example of the E39 that you're looking at... Maybe the guys over at M5board can help with the questions that you have?

As for oil use and some niggles that the pre-updates had, in conversation with early E39 M5 owners they have all said that the issues can be addressed and many of the owners I spoke with had addressed them. But then again, these guys were enthusiasts, not just owners.

As my promiscuous brother from another mother said already (fayraree) as long as it's in good shape give in to your heart's desire. Just go and buy it. Run it for a couple of years and enjoy the ownership then trade in for whatever makes sense to you logically. If I were ready and cashed up for an E39 there is one example here in Sydney that I would buy without hesitation right this moment and it too is a pre-update, though it has 150K+ miles on it (which I'm not afraid of).

Good luck and post pics of it in your driveway!
__________________

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.

Last edited by Ballistic325; 05-04-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #54
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,955
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Stay away from 2000 M5.

Drinks a $10-$12 quart of oil ever 1,000 miles or so.
Engine issues ($6-8k) that were supposedly fixed in 2001.
VANOS and MAF issues common.
I would still say 2002+ or nothing.

JMO.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 05-04-2013 at 11:22 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #55
MINIz guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 368
My Ride: bro truck
Keep in mind that the M5 started production in '98 outside of the USA, so many '00 models in the USA don't have the first model year issues you'd expect.

There was an update to the piston rings for '01 models which supposedly cuts down on oil consumption. My '00 M5 burns 1 qt. every 1000 miles which is fine for me. There are still reports of oil consumption on '01+ models with the updated rings, and there are also reports of '00 models burning no oil. It's hard to say which model year to buy for me unless you absolutely want the facelifted design of the '01+ cars.

MAF issues with plague every year. Basically, the sensor gets old and the car doesn't run with as much power until you replace the MAFs. The VANOS was also updated for the '01+ models as they have grub screws on the solenoid covers to keep the solenoids from vibrating too much and breaking their solder joints. Even with that fix, there are reports of the VANOS solenoid filter mesh breaking up and clogging the solenoids, which is a pretty easy fix. My '00 requires the same fix now and I'll get to it once I return from school.

If I were shopping, I'd buy the one with the best records. I like the '00 look and didn't mind oil consumption as long as it wasn't severe to the point of 1 qt. every 500 miles.
__________________
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #56
ThEnder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 449
My Ride: has twin turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
OP: I'd wait and get an E90 M3 if I were you. They aren't even in the same ball park imo. The E90 M3 makes the E39 M5 feel like an old man.

The E90 M3 will probably be cheaper with maintenance too. It seems they are at least as reliable as the 335i- maybe more so. Save and get a CPO one if you really want to splurge. Wait for an 09+ with the LCI rear end and iDrive HD for extra bonus points.
The E90 M3 is definitely on my radar but the E39 M5 is a car I have dreamed of owning since I was a kid. The new technology in the e90 would be nice to have in a DD but it just doesn't call to me the same way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
OP, don't look at this as some sort of investment where you're minimizing losses. follow your heart, the M5 is an epic feat of engineering from the best sport sedan manufacturer during that era. pick up a piece and then get an e90 m3 in a couple of years if that's what you want.
Exactly, the M5 is just timeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Beautiful example of the E39 that you're looking at... Maybe the guys over at M5board can help with the questions that you have?

As for oil use and some niggles that the pre-updates had, in conversation with early E39 M5 owners they have all said that the issues can be addressed and many of the owners I spoke with had addressed them. But then again, these guys were enthusiasts, not just owners.

As my promiscuous brother from another mother said already (fayraree) as long as it's in good shape give in to your heart's desire. Just go and buy it. Run it for a couple of years and enjoy the ownership then trade in for whatever makes sense to you logically. If I were ready and cashed up for an E39 there is one example here in Sydney that I would buy without hesitation right this moment and it too is a pre-update, though it has 150K+ miles on it (which I'm not afraid of).

Good luck and post pics of it in your driveway!
Thanks! I am gonna try to look at the car tomorrow. Excited.
__________________
ThEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #57
Johal E32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 369
My Ride: E46 323iT/5, M5 E39
E39 M5 is a super nice car, but it's too much for a DD IMO.

I prefer my 323i on a daily basis. The M5 is nice to take out once a week or so, it sucks on MPG.. (which is exactly what I do, my Dad is nice enough to let me take out his M5 beast every now and again. I daily'd his M5 for a month and I loved it for the first week. After that I hated it, because the M5 needs open roads to really enjoy the damn car. I hit traffic everyday on my commute..)
__________________

Last edited by Johal E32; 05-04-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Johal E32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #58
adaseb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,071
My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Nice car but parts are damn expensive.

FUEL PUMP $437.50

WATER PUMP $512.00

Just going by Pelicanparts lists.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #59
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W
Posts: 7,513
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
I was in the market for an E39 ///M5 but got the E92 ///M instead. If you want tons of torque get the E39 because the E9X ///M's lack usable torque down low but up high it's another story.
__________________

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #60
Wes
Registered User
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
I was in the market for an E39 ///M5 but got the E92 ///M instead. If you want tons of torque get the E39 because the E9X ///M's lack usable torque down low but up high it's another story.
///
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use