E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
how to you make a stock exhaust louder?

I don't really wan't to spend big bucks on a new muffler and i kinda like the OEM sound but it's just not loud enough for me. I heard that headers will let the exhaust flow more freely but which kind will give me the biggest improvement? Does the resonator have a big impact on the volume and if it does would upgrading it to something good like the AR-20 help? I would just go catless but I guarantee i'll fail the emission test, right?

If I were to go full out and get a full exhaust, which ones are the loudest? which exhausts are not street legal because I just may be interested in them too since im looking for that kind of loudness.
XKR is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
fat-marshmellow

My Ride: ///M3 SMG
drill a golfball size hole in muffler. cheap, easy, loud

headers alone on a stock muffler will sound like poo. some ar20's would be needed but it will make it somewhat more quite which defeats the purpose of making it louder. suggestions....headers, aftermarket muffler and call it a day. full exhaust systems dont really have any performance gains on the e46 platforms. only headers. if im not mistaken....

ex: 2002 TIAG 325xi (sold), 2007 suzuki gsxr (sold)
current: 2002 carbon black ///M SMG
halogen headlights? want hid projectors? on a budget? maybe i can help! go here!!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=840919
fat-marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_chee View Post
drill a golfball size hole in muffler. cheap, easy, loud

headers alone on a stock muffler will sound like poo. some ar20's would be needed but it will make it somewhat more quite which defeats the purpose of making it louder. suggestions....headers, aftermarket muffler and call it a day. full exhaust systems dont really have any performance gains on the e46 platforms. only headers. if im not mistaken....
I probably could never bring my self to drill a hole in a m3 haha. The only problem is finding a nice sounding muffler. There's so many videos on youtube but they do no justice since they sound different in person. I'm not sure if those deep sounding mufflers like borla, RE, and miltek are anything but loud. Some companies want about 5k like kreissieg for that valvetronic F1 sound
Old 05-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
How about getting rid of it
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian172 View Post
How about getting rid of it
From the ones I've heard, it sounds kind of ricey. The sound is kind of growing on me so this might work. Would this throw off any sensors or no? Does the muffler have anything to do with the back pressure and if so would this lead to problems down the line?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
From the ones I've heard, it sounds kind of ricey. The sound is kind of growing on me so this might work. Would this throw off any sensors or no? Does the muffler have anything to do with the back pressure and if so would this lead to problems down the line?
Sensor tippin no
But back pressure I'm not sure on that one
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Cru

My Ride: 2002 M3
If you're feeling like a bada$$ save up like $2400 and buy evosport headers + bimmerworld resonated race exhaust. Cheaper investment than some of the high end mufflers that don't actually do anything but make it sound a bit better. You'll drop around 85lbs and get a solid 25whp kick! Plus the added bonus that it sounds amazing and shoots flames

2002 M3 Coupe in Babypoop Yellow
Cru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Cru

My Ride: 2002 M3
Orrrr for the same money you can run something like my old setup which was the evosport headers + rasp terminator (ar20's) + RE x-pipe with electronic dump valve + stock muffler. When I had the valve open it was the gnarliest an M3 will ever sound and when closed it was almost quiet as stock (except with less tingy rasp).

But either way plan on spending money haha

2002 M3 Coupe in Babypoop Yellow
Cru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru View Post
If you're feeling like a bada$$ save up like $2400 and buy evosport headers + bimmerworld resonated race exhaust. Cheaper investment than some of the high end mufflers that don't actually do anything but make it sound a bit better. You'll drop around 85lbs and get a solid 25whp kick! Plus the added bonus that it sounds amazing and shoots flames
headers are DEFINITELY on my list of things to do. The problem is that there are so many types I have no idea which are the best ones. I heard JVT headers aren't that bad but I don't know why they're so cheap. I think I just may have to go all out on a good pair. Is evosport good as supersprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru View Post
Orrrr for the same money you can run something like my old setup which was the evosport headers + rasp terminator (ar20's) + RE x-pipe with electronic dump valve + stock muffler. When I had the valve open it was the gnarliest an M3 will ever sound and when closed it was almost quiet as stock (except with less tingy rasp).

But either way plan on spending money haha
I think I just may take off my muffler just to see how crazy loud it'll sound lol. how do you install the AR20? is there welding involved??

Last edited by XKR; 05-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Sinful7
Banned User

My Ride: e46 m3
if your asking how to install a ar20, best bet is to go to a muffler shop and give them the ar20's, they will install them and do it where they should be, its straight forward bud. Ar20's make it sound good to my ears on a OEM muffler.. Some like the rasp, some dont.. I dont prefer it myself.. But everyone is different.. but to answer the weld question, yes you will have to cut sections of your midpipe out and weld in the ar20 resonators. I highly suggest a muffler shop, it really wont be that expensive to add, If I was local Id say buy me some beer a pizza and take a photo of me taking a saw to a m3! haha no joke.. but in all regards jus let a pro do it if your iffy on how its done right now.. To learn is nice but dont let a m3 be a demo for learning.
Sinful7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #11
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
Sensors no

Back pressure YES you will feel a Loss of power through out the power band.
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful7 View Post
if your asking how to install a ar20, best bet is to go to a muffler shop and give them the ar20's, they will install them and do it where they should be, its straight forward bud. Ar20's make it sound good to my ears on a OEM muffler.. Some like the rasp, some dont.. I dont prefer it myself.. But everyone is different.. but to answer the weld question, yes you will have to cut sections of your midpipe out and weld in the ar20 resonators. I highly suggest a muffler shop, it really wont be that expensive to add, If I was local Id say buy me some beer a pizza and take a photo of me taking a saw to a m3! haha no joke.. but in all regards jus let a pro do it if your iffy on how its done right now.. To learn is nice but dont let a m3 be a demo for learning.
oh ok lol thanks for the tips!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballstowalls View Post
Sensors no

Back pressure YES you will feel a Loss of power through out the power band.
hmmm i wonder if someone did a dyno to figure this out because so many people are like "nah man it adds about 10 extra hp" or as you said "you will loose power". why does back pressure have to be such a controversy/enigma
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
sogoos

My Ride: 95 M3, 01 M3
Sell your M3 and buy an early 90's civic with a rusty exhaust
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
Roux28

My Ride: E46 M3
Isn't the stock exhaust very good anyways?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux28 View Post
Isn't the stock exhaust very good anyways?
it is but you have to really get on it to make it sound good. it's kinda weak when you drive casual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogoos View Post
Sell your M3 and buy an early 90's civic with a rusty exhaust
lmao I'd rather walk then drive a civic.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
indoafro

My Ride: 325ci

pull out one of your resonator man..thats the easiest way..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
indoafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoafro View Post
pull out one of your resonator man..thats the easiest way..

but I thought they had no affect on the exhaust's loudness?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
indoafro

My Ride: 325ci

take a look on youtube...a lot of people just delete the resonator and its sounds amazing man!

indoafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI

do a muffler delete

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #20
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post

do a muffler delete
my only issue is backpressure. people are saying that i will loose some power at low end but I'm not sure if i'll get it back in the upper powerband. I know muffler deletes are good on turbo cars cause they spool way faster but mine is still N/A. I need to find where they sell straight pipe exhausts from the muffler back also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoafro View Post
take a look on youtube...a lot of people just delete the resonator and its sounds amazing man!

wow lol kind of surprising how much it changed.