E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
faber

My Ride: 2003 325 Cic
Misc n00b questions

Only one of these is actually a vert question (see! I'm learning the lingo! ) but I don't feel like doing multiple posts. So here goes:

1. I'm missing this cover. Where do I find a replacement?

2. When the dealership handed me the keyring for my baby, it had the electronic key (the fob? The one you lock/unlock the doors with) , the plastic master key, and this thing. It looks like a battery but I don't see a +/- designation on it. What is it and what is it used for?

3. How do you open the glove compartment without a key? I put the key in and turn it all the way to the right. Take the key out. Glove compartment is locked. Put the key in, turn it 90 degrees to the left (straight up and down, kinda). Take the key out. Glove compartment is still locked. Put key back in, turn 90 degrees to the left, I feel the lock tumblers moving and the door opens. But I don't wanna have to put a key in there!

4. I need to get a backup electronic key JIC. Do I have to go to the local dealership to get it programmed?

Oh, and TIL, I can reconfigure the software on my baby. This is going to get interesting.

faber

My first, but not my last.
faber is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
MedicLaney

My Ride: M3
I am also missing that piece and can't find a part number!!
MedicLaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
the missing part is #10
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=51&fg=50

you dont replace the batter for the keyfob, when you use the key and drive your car, the battery gets charged.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
you know...now that i look at your picture, the piece is still there, its just inside the flap. you might need what i needed a while ago, the part is #21, its like a stick with a spring on it, thatll make the piece come up and cover the hole. so check it out tomorrow morning or something and report back.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post
you know...now that i look at your picture, the piece is still there, its just inside the flap. you might need what i needed a while ago, the part is #21, its like a stick with a spring on it, thatll make the piece come up and cover the hole. so check it out tomorrow morning or something and report back.
It looks to me like both pieces - the flap and the stick w/ spring - are there. Over the last ten years, the one on the left side of my car has come off many times. Fairly easy to fix (re-attach stick to flap to make flap close when top is down to cover hole), but I can never remember how, so I look at how the one on the other side connects.

It takes a little finesse and you really don't want to drop the stick or have the spring fall off or it's gone for good, but this is definitely a simple diy project.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
faber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakumaxp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628
It looks to me like both pieces - the flap and the stick w/ spring - are there. Over the last ten years, the one on the left side of my car has come off many times. Fairly easy to fix (re-attach stick to flap to make flap close when top is down to cover hole), but I can never remember how, so I look at how the one on the other side connects.

It takes a little finesse and you really don't want to drop the stick or have the spring fall off or it's gone for good, but this is definitely a simple diy project.
Good eyes, dudes! Both pieces are still there but it looks like the spring has worn through the piece it hooks onto. I think I got it hooked under the cover but it fell off/though each time. I'll take a picture this weekend after the rain leaves.

faber

Last edited by faber; 05-07-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
BrownMagic

My Ride: Stays topless
Same issue with mine. Fiddled around with the spring/stick for a while, then became bored and haven't tried again since. I see E46's all the time with the same issue and since my M is only driven when it's perfect out I really haven't messed with it much. If you get it to work though share your insights!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
answers here with pics:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=950719
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
MedicLaney

My Ride: M3
Thanks guys! You were right! Mine are still there in the hole.
MedicLaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
ICEMANBU

My Ride: 330Cic
Try this thread for your glovebox issues....I had the same problem last month.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=905468&page=3
ICEMANBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
blazedxjan

My Ride: 01 325ci
I can't see pictures? Are there any? Hope you like the car! Your somewhat close to my area.

89' 240sx Coupe - Sold ): 98' 328is - RIP 91' Turbo MR2 - Sold 01' 325ci - Current
I like my Christmas hat; wanna fight about it?
blazedxjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
faber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazedxjan View Post
I can't see pictures? Are there any? Hope you like the car! Your somewhat close to my area.
No new pictures yet. I'm lovin' the car! If you're in my area, you know it's wet the past/next few days. :-) Hopefully I'll get pictures on the weekend.

I'm in the Bridgewater area. You?

faber

Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
blazedxjan

My Ride: 01 325ci
Yeah this weather is flopping around. I'm in Plainfield, I was just at that Mall today. I've been trying to get a little circle of fanatics in my area to just kick it. Not much luck. post pics !

89' 240sx Coupe - Sold ): 98' 328is - RIP 91' Turbo MR2 - Sold 01' 325ci - Current
I like my Christmas hat; wanna fight about it?
blazedxjan is offline   Reply With Quote