E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Tb151

My Ride: 2008 Range Rover FF
Send a message via AIM to Tb151
Playset Build

Our son turned 3 this past weekend and it was time to build a playset. I left the brand decision to my wife and she chose Cedarworks, so it was time to order, build it and landscape!

It arrived the Friday before last in the form of 20 large boxes taking up one of our garage stalls.

That weekend, the plan was to put the set together, and then fine tune the placement and work on the landscaping around it. This set is very well made, which means there were probably a hundred large bolts to drive. I started with hand tools until a good friend showed up with a few cordless impact drivers

After uncrating and moving to the spot.

Wrenching

And its up. I put some landscape fabric down initially to mark the spot and make sure we liked it.

Next up was figuring out how I wanted the surrounding area to look. I started on this partway through the following week and used a hose to make the form that I wanted, and changed it around a few times. Once that was done and I was happy, I threw on some Mechanix gloves, put my headphones on and grabbed a shovel to began edging all around it. This consisted of digging down about 3-4 inches, and removing a foot in from the edge. I also applied RoundUp to the grass prior to putting the additional fabric on.

In Process

The fabric is fully installed here. It was a PAIN because the fabric pins were thin metal and every time they hit a rock our root in the ground they would bend or just hurt my hand. Suffice it to say there were alot of rocks and roots. My palm has been black and blue ever since.

I decided to have these special woodchips put down called Kid Kushion that are soft and made for this. I had a company bring it in and do our mulch at the same time. They estimated incorrectly and had to go back and get more chips for the play area, totaling about 6 yards. That came on Saturday morning and then we received a cool birthday present for our son from his grandparents, which was a Pirate Ship sand box. We spent a few hours Saturday night putting that together in the garage and then I dragged it down there. I also went and picked up a few Adirondack Chairs I ordered from a small woodshop near here to give us a place to sit.

It was labor intensive but I am extremely happy with the results. I'm going to do a raised edging around the area as well, using a newer product called Ecoborder. We had our son's b-day party here and everything was perfect, and held up well to the toddler abuse!

I'm very happy with the outcome. It's a little oasis for the kids and they are loving it.

Tb151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Looks great. You have a nice piece of property from the looks of it. I especially dig the Adirondack chairs...love those.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Looks great. You have a nice piece of property from the looks of it. I especially dig the Adirondack chairs...love those.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Tb151

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Thanks! We have about 6 acres of overall property bit alot of that is wooded. I'm realizing though that the more stuff I put on the land, the bigger it looks, whereas I thought I would miss some of the complete openness, if that makes sense.

The chairs are awesome, I found a guy near me that has been making / perfecting them them for a long time. This is from his site, he uses Cypress and really good stainless hardware. Kind of a fanatic about his build quality

Last edited by Tb151; 05-09-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
does the finish need to be treated with something to deal with weather?

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 05-17-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Tb151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
does the finish need to be treated with something so deal with weather?
You dont need to treat it if you like the way it naturally grays. Personally I like the newer looks so I'm going to put on some type of semi transparent stain. I'm not sure which one I'm going to go with yet..

Old 05-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
That looks great.

We wound up buying a cheapo demo Walmart set on clearance. The best part was that it was already assembled. We just broke it down into 4 parts, shoved it in the trailer and hauled it home.

Here's it is - with the goats let loose for added entertainment:

brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Tb151

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
That looks great.

We wound up buying a cheapo demo Walmart set on clearance. The best part was that it was already assembled. We just broke it down into 4 parts, shoved it in the trailer and hauled it home.

Here's it is - with the goats let loose for added entertainment:

Thats awesome!!! And you dont even need to weedwack around it due to the goats!!!! Awesome

Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Nice, OP. Great times ahead for you...then some sucky times...then hopefully great times again!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote