E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
boatshoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 280
My Ride: '03 330xi
I love the idea of things being "tolerated" here . Why does everyone feel like their car has to be tolerated? It's not like forums like this are elite societies where you must follow a strict set of rules as to what you can and can't do to you car. Its like someone distastefully modding their car offends yours.
__________________

Last edited by boatshoe; 05-07-2013 at 02:32 PM.
boatshoe is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
ChrisRedmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Space
Posts: 1,116
My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtortolanniTFS View Post
I love the idea of things being "tolerated" here . Why does everyone feel like their car has to be tolerated? It's not like forums like this are elite societies where you must follow a strict set of rules as to what you can and can't do to you car.
I don't think some people understand that concept.....
__________________
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products


ChrisRedmon is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,475
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
painted headlight bowls doesn't interfere with safety or function? OK...

I don't even know where to begin. you're approaching goingnuts territory. your account is too new here to even know what that means or who he is. i honestly don't think even he would encourage the Chris Brown mod, as you are.
It really isn't going to interfere with safety or function on a bi-Xenon car. I really can't see how it would. On a car that actually uses those bowls for high beams, I can see that being a possible problem. OP should test the light output. Some people never use their high beams though, so really no practical difference for them.

I know who GoingNuts is. I have read many old threads. This is not GoingNuts territory. He would recommend changing the RTABs to fix an ET leak.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
Mango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
It really isn't going to interfere with safety or function on a bi-Xenon car. I really can't see how it would. On a car that actually uses those bowls for high beams, I can see that being a possible problem. OP should test the light output. Some people never use their high beams though, so really no practical difference for them.

I know who GoingNuts is. I have read many old threads. This is not GoingNuts territory. He would recommend changing the RTABs to fix an ET leak.
1) you're assuming that everyone's xenon is created equal. 7 times out of 10, people doing the chris brown mod are running sh!t poor P46/depo projectors with DDM HID. you're piling piss poor light on top of piss poor light.

2) Even if every Chris Brown'er were running proper OE Xenon in addition to refreshed (new) D2S bulbs (guarantee you zero are) painting the high beam bowls is still dumb. Not only are you destroying expensive OE headlights by applying a layer of paint over the OE reflective finish, you are lowering your light output significantly. I'll bet you not only do those bowls have blue paint on them, they have blue r!cer bulbs in them as well.

3) I use my programmed quad highs w/ upgraded or refreshed OEM bulbs all the way around for maximum output because I'm all about function. So does TerraPhntm, SolidJake, and a few other lighting people.

Not sure why you're on a streak of defending stupid things lately. It almost seems like an April fool's joke but we're already in May
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,475
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
1) you're assuming that everyone's xenon is created equal. 7 times out of 10, people doing the chris brown mod are running sh!t poor P46/depo projectors with DDM HID. you're piling piss poor light on top of piss poor light.

2) Even if every Chris Brown'er were running proper OE Xenon in addition to refreshed (new) D2S bulbs (guarantee you zero are) painting the high beam bowls is still dumb. Not only are you destroying expensive OE headlights by applying a layer of paint over the OE reflective finish, you are lowering your light output significantly. I'll bet you not only do those bowls have blue paint on them, they have blue r!cer bulbs in them as well.

3) I use my programmed quad highs w/ upgraded or refreshed OEM bulbs all the way around for maximum output because I'm all about function. So does TerraPhntm, SolidJake, and a few other lighting people.

Not sure why you're on a streak of defending stupid things lately. It almost seems like an April fool's joke but we're already in May
So what I got from this was:

1. it's unsafe (plus you making a bunch of assumptions about OP)
2. you don't like it (OP can destroy his lights if he wants to)
3. your setup is overkill

That's fine if you think it's unsafe. You have a valid point. I don't get the tone that you have with the OP. It's extremely off putting and the way you phrase things is down right insulting. Like I said a second ago, make your point and leave the insulting tone out of it. I posted to someone with that tone a few days ago, realized I was being a huge asshole and apologized, though I still supported my point. You can make a point without insulting the guy.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member
 
Schlag96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 827
My Ride: 1999 323i
actually solidjake removed his quads


Yeah I think "to each his own" needs to win out, unless the mod is going to put somebody in danger.

Many people don't even use their high beams at all. I use them maybe once every two months on a deserted road in the middle of the night. and i wouldn't really need to. So I would consider a cosmetic mod that lowered my light output a bit if the tradeoff was a good looking aesthetic improvement.

Last edited by Schlag96; 05-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Schlag96 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
Mango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
So what I got from this was:

1. it's unsafe (plus you making a bunch of assumptions about OP)
2. you don't like it (OP can destroy his lights if he wants to)
3. your setup is overkill

That's fine if you think it's unsafe. You have a valid point. I don't get the tone that you have with the OP. It's extremely off putting and the way you phrase things is down right insulting. Like I said a second ago, make your point and leave the insulting tone out of it. I posted to someone with that tone a few days ago, realized I was being a huge asshole and apologized, though I still supported my point. You can make a point without insulting the guy.


Again, stick around longer than the few months you've been here and you'll see what I mean about fads and bad mods. It's a poor/dangerous mod and I'll stand by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
actually solidjake removed his quads


Yeah I think "to each his own" needs to win out, unless the mod is going to put somebody in danger.

Many people don't even use their high beams at all. I use them maybe once every two months on a deserted road in the middle of the night. and i wouldn't really need to. So I would consider a cosmetic mod that lowered my light output a bit if the tradeoff was a good looking aesthetic improvement.
no no. I said quad highs, not quad projectors. Huge difference. It's not that you don't use your high beams, it's that you have them there should you need them. Further, it's against most states' DOT regulation to obstruct your high beams or use blue-tinted bulbs
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-07-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Mango is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #28
E46inthe206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 679
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Jesus... People, relax! This mod simply makes the car look better.. generally speaking. Maybe not to someone, but to the majority of people.

Also.. where the hell do you guys live that you get pulled over for these stupid things? LOL. If you're concerned of getting pulled over for having tinted/coloered lights.. you need to put your big boy pants on and not give a crap lol.

I swear, some people just need to relax
E46inthe206 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
Mango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206 View Post
Jesus... People, relax! This mod simply makes the car look better.. generally speaking. Maybe not to someone, but to the majority of people.

Also.. where the hell do you guys live that you get pulled over for these stupid things? LOL. If you're concerned of getting pulled over for having tinted/coloered lights.. you need to put your big boy pants on and not give a crap lol.
You guys (WDE) defending this mod, this is exactly what you are defending/grouping with in bold.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
E46Moonlight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 2,597
My Ride: 2000 323i
Blue high beam bowls..

To OP should have just read my thread and the "Chris Brown" thread. All the info you need is there! Including a library of pictures in different color combinations. Could have avoided all this stupid chatter

Last edited by E46Moonlight; 05-07-2013 at 03:33 PM.
E46Moonlight is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
ChrisRedmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Space
Posts: 1,116
My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
1) you're assuming that everyone's xenon is created equal. 7 times out of 10, people doing the chris brown mod are running sh!t poor P46/depo projectors with DDM HID. you're piling piss poor light on top of piss poor light.

2) Even if every Chris Brown'er were running proper OE Xenon in addition to refreshed (new) D2S bulbs (guarantee you zero are) painting the high beam bowls is still dumb. Not only are you destroying expensive OE headlights by applying a layer of paint over the OE reflective finish, you are lowering your light output significantly. I'll bet you not only do those bowls have blue paint on them, they have blue r!cer bulbs in them as well.

3) I use my programmed quad highs w/ upgraded or refreshed OEM bulbs all the way around for maximum output because I'm all about function. So does TerraPhntm, SolidJake, and a few other lighting people.

Not sure why you're on a streak of defending stupid things lately. It almost seems like an April fool's joke but we're already in May
1) As are you, if there is someone with Bi-xenons (such as myself) with the inner bowl painted (such as myself) what is the problem? The DRL is on during the day as it should be. And off at night, as it should be.

2) A lot of people think your posts are redundant, insulting and outright ignorant..... doesn't seem to stop you.

3) K
__________________
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products


ChrisRedmon is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #32
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,475
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Blue high beam bowls..

This mod is not dangerous. It's funny that you think that. If you think that's dangerous then you ought to just stay home all the time. You might get attacked by a land shark or something.

Should I tell you that turned my DRLs off. Or is that incredibly unsafe too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
You guys (WDE) defending this mod, this is exactly what you are defending/grouping with in bold.
No. I am not defending THAT point of view. I'm not a "**** the police" kind of person. Don't put words in my mouth. His words are not mine. I will say, if you're in a place like Alabama, the police do not give two shits about your bowl colors. It is at maximum a secondary offense.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 05-07-2013 at 03:45 PM.
WDE46 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #33
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,564
My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206 View Post
Jesus... People, relax! This mod simply makes the car look better.. generally speaking. Maybe not to someone, but to the majority of people.

Also.. where the hell do you guys live that you get pulled over for these stupid things? LOL. If you're concerned of getting pulled over for having tinted/coloered lights.. you need to put your big boy pants on and not give a crap lol.

I swear, some people just need to relax
That's a pretty dumb point of view.

I assume blue reflector bowls would make you an absolute cop magnet. Just like red would make you a cop magnet. Cops usually don't care about yellow.
__________________

Last edited by choxor; 05-07-2013 at 03:50 PM.
choxor is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
Mango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
This mod is not dangerous. It's funny that you think that. If you think that's dangerous then you ought to just stay home all the time. You might get attacked by a land shark or something.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206 View Post
If you're concerned of getting pulled over for having tinted/coloered lights.. you need to put your big boy pants on and not give a crap lol.
Again, look at who you are siding with and the comments that come from them.

Is it a coincidence that they make those kinds of comments and want to do this mod?

Something to think about. Either way, GL.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-07-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Mango is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
ChrisRedmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Space
Posts: 1,116
My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46inthe206 View Post
Jesus... People, relax! This mod simply makes the car look better.. generally speaking. Maybe not to someone, but to the majority of people.

Also.. where the hell do you guys live that you get pulled over for these stupid things? LOL. If you're concerned of getting pulled over for having tinted/coloered lights.. you need to put your big boy pants on and not give a crap lol.

I swear, some people just need to relax
I honestly don't think people even notice it. Never been pulled over for it. Ever. Just don't paint them red hahaha
__________________
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products


ChrisRedmon is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #36
Brinkley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: asheville NC
Posts: 1,502
My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Wow. Another productive argument.
Brinkley is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
infamouschris7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 60
My Ride: 2004 325ci
Ive been running blue led's on my highbeams for over a year and never been pulled over for it
infamouschris7 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #38
TArse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 680
My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
Blue high beam bowls..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
It really isn't going to interfere with safety or function on a bi-Xenon car. I really can't see how it would. On a car that actually uses those bowls for high beams, I can see that being a possible problem. OP should test the light output. Some people never use their high beams though, so really no practical difference for them.

I know who GoingNuts is. I have read many old threads. This is not GoingNuts territory. He would recommend changing the RTABs to fix an ET leak.
I tinted my drls yellow because, well, they're drls and don't do anything. My fogs are brighter than them.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
TArse is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #39
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,475
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Again, look at who you are siding with and the comments that come from them.

Is it a coincidence that they make those kinds of comments and want to do this mod?

Something to think about. Either way, GL.
No. That says absolutely nothing about my points or me. My point is that if you don't like the mod from a taste standpoint, then shut the **** up. If you have a concern about safety, then voice that opinion without being a condescending asshole. Here is what you should have said:

"Painted high beam bowls are not my style. However, the blue seems unique. I do have a safety concern though. The paint may dull the output of your high beams, so keep that in mind! Also, it may not be legal in some states."

Not what you did say which was incredibly condescending with your ridiculous assumptions about his setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TArse View Post
I tinted my drls yellow because, well, they're drls and don't do anything. My fogs are brighter than them.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
And that's definitely cool, especially because you have the bi-Xenon and don't even use the high beam bowls.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 05-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.
WDE46 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #40
Mango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
No. That says absolutely nothing about my points or me. My point is that if you don't like the mod from a taste standpoint, then shut the **** up. If you have a concern about safety, then voice that opinion without being a condescending asshole. Here is what you should have said:

"Painted high beam bowls are not my style. However, the blue seems unique. I do have a safety concern though. The paint may dull the output of your high beams, so keep that in mind! Also, it may not be legal in some states."

Not what you did say which was incredibly condescending with your ridiculous assumptions about his setup.



And that's definitely cool, especially because you have the bi-Xenon and don't even use the high beam bowls.
Right. Cause I talk like that. Maybe you should take your own advice on how you respond to me. Just sayin.

And there's no assumption. It's fact. Against state DOT rules and Chris Browning your headlight bowls is dangerous and tacky. The looks part is an opinion and the opinion of respected members is that the Chris Brown Mod is ugly.

Everyone decides which camp to associate with. Safety/purity/proper or "DONT CARE ABOUT COPZ LOL CHRIS BROWN MOD FTW LOTSA CAMBER"

Looks like you've made your choice
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use