E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Water proof iphone cases

I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and I plan on using my iphone as my primary camera. I'd love to not worry about it and maybe even take some underwater shots. I know about the life proof case but it seems to only go 6 feet down and if I drop it and it sinks a bit I want to be safe. I'd also prefer a draw string so If I'm snorkeling I can have it wrapped around my wrist.

Thanks guys
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
saxual328ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,516
My Ride: 2004 325ci
Just get a disposable underwater camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Quick...erwater+camera
__________________
Clean
saxual328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Breyton-BMW
Registered User
 
Breyton-BMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 4,394
My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Otterbox armor series or Seidio obex if its an Ip5. Lifeproof also offers a float attatchment. $$$ though.
__________________





Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 05-07-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
IrunBimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Acton
Posts: 364
My Ride: 323i
Water proof iphone cases

You can get a decent one for about a hundred works fairly well have used it 3meters down still good everything works no issues can even receive calls :p


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Lifeproof all the way man. $80 and you get full waterproof protection that isn't as bulky as an otterbox. I didn't believe it until my friend dunked his phone in a pitcher of water one night.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 05-07-2013 at 09:25 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
Just get a disposable underwater camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Quick...erwater+camera
Is this the 90's? Come on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Lifeproof all the way man. $80 and you get full waterproof protection that isn't as bulky as an otterbox. I didn't believe it until my friend dunked his phone in a pitcher of water one night.
You think it's ok if I snorkeled with it? Probably only go down a few feet.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Vin Vega
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cary NC
Posts: 22
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Lifeproof all the way man. $80 and you get full waterproof protection that isn't as bulky as an otterbox. I didn't believe it until my friend dunked his phone in a pitcher of water one night.
My friends love to steal my phone and throw it in anything liquid, pools being the funniest in there opinion.


I bought mine almost 2 years ago, I have had them replace it twice. If you are as rough on your phones as I am the rubber surround will come off, and the latch for the phone charger slot will crack (this is for the 4/4s only) I have had it replaced as soon as this happens, and they honer the 1 year warranty for EACH case they give you. They just ask for your serial number and original purchase date and send you a new one, you just return the old one in the box they sent to you. I don't plan on upgrading phones until it is completely useless so long as lifeproof keeps sending me brand new rugged water proof cases.

Last edited by Vin Vega; 05-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You think it's ok if I snorkeled with it? Probably only go down a few feet.
You should be fine, but double check on the site to see what depth its rated to. My friend that first showed it to me was a swim coach at the time and he had pics his kids had taken at the bottom of the pool, so I know it's good for at least 10'.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
IdahoToyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: A Sunny Town in Idaho
Posts: 375
My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
Just get a disposable underwater camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Quick...erwater+camera
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Is this the 90's? Come on.
I used these damn things all the time when I was younger and we did trips. Snorkeling photos and the like, I'm pretty sure the level of my photography was horrendous...might as well have been sticking my head in an aquarium.
__________________
-- Kyle --

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
You should be fine, but double check on the site to see what depth its rated to. My friend that first showed it to me was a swim coach at the time and he had pics his kids had taken at the bottom of the pool, so I know it's good for at least 10'.
I think they say two meters so I should be fine. I just wish it had a string like a digi camera so I could wrap it around my wrist. I'm sure I can rig something though.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
GRIFFIN
NWS
 
GRIFFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,700
My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
did you jizz on your phone?
__________________

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,526
My Ride: reclining rear seats
I'd rather buy a disposable underwater digital camera than risk messing up my phone. Even with the right case, I'd be nervous.
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 533
My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I'd rather buy a disposable underwater digital camera than risk messing up my phone. Even with the right case, I'd be nervous.
#yolo
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I'd rather buy a disposable underwater digital camera than risk messing up my phone. Even with the right case, I'd be nervous.
I'm really nervous lol. I probably wont do it but I was looking for people with experiences.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I'm really nervous lol. I probably wont do it but I was looking for people with experiences.
If you do, let us know. Without a doubt a cheaper solution than a good housing for a digital point and shoot.
__________________
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
If you do, let us know. Without a doubt a cheaper solution than a good housing for a digital point and shoot.
I would def look into that but I have no clue where my camera is. I'm sure if I looked around I'd find it somewhere. I think lol.

I can get an Lifeproof for $60. A friend works at verizon. Prob do that

Last edited by DylloS; 05-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 958
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Solly, I don't know much about cases, but I do u/w photography so I want to share one tidbit of knowledge with you.

Regardless of the depth rating of the case you get, be very careful jumping into the water with it. UW camera housings rated to 100+ fsw have been known to leak if someone jumps off a boat deck with it in their hands. The seals are built to take a steady, even increase in pressure. Jumping in and hitting the water slams the case with uneven and sudden pressure that it might not be able to handle.

When possible, divers jump in the water without the camera and then have someone hand the camera to them. If thats not possible, they try to cradle the camera against their body and break the surface of the water with their body instead of the camera housing.

So even if you get a good case, treat it gently, especially when getting into the water.

Alternative idea is buy one of the "rugged" cameras. With all the stuff you're into, you might get a lot of use out of one.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...PIX-AW110.html

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum.../powershot_d20

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digi...g-820-ihs.html
__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
As a juror, do you think the trial was a publicity stunt?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Solly, I don't know much about cases, but I do u/w photography so I want to share one tidbit of knowledge with you.

Regardless of the depth rating of the case you get, be very careful jumping into the water with it. UW camera housings rated to 100+ fsw have been known to leak if someone jumps off a boat deck with it in their hands. The seals are built to take a steady, even increase in pressure. Jumping in and hitting the water slams the case with uneven and sudden pressure that it might not be able to handle.

When possible, divers jump in the water without the camera and then have someone hand the camera to them. If thats not possible, they try to cradle the camera against their body and break the surface of the water with their body instead of the camera housing.

So even if you get a good case, treat it gently, especially when getting into the water.

Alternative idea is buy one of the "rugged" cameras. With all the stuff you're into, you might get a lot of use out of one.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...PIX-AW110.html

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum.../powershot_d20

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digi...g-820-ihs.html
Thanks man. I definitely thought of this. I will ease into the water. Definitely wont be holding this thing and taking video while diving in lol.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
seems pretty good. I know this is a commercial though so I don't expect to go surfing with it lol

DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
Gheybe
Registered User
 
Gheybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego/Santa Barbara
Posts: 10,189
My Ride: C6 Z06
LifeProof.

I have it. I FaceTime friends from the shower all the time.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use