E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Brake pad brands...

Hello BMW Experts!

I am so confused.
What are the stock brake pads on a 330i? Pagid, Textar, or Jurid?
I don't tend to beat my brakes too much, but want the fast initial bite that the OEM pads are supposed to do best (especially on hiways & in rain or snow, when they might be cold).
Oh yeah, who has the best prices on the stock pads, pls?

TIA! Murf

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
most come with textar, or pagid. good price for fronts and rears should be less than $110 but you'll noticed that prices won't vary much from company to company. personally i order from bmaparts.com because price is good and they are delivered within 1-2 days.

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
textar is OE...but pagid or jurid (maybe both) use an OE compound.

Also, you probably don't need both axles done...usually you'll get twice the life out of the rear.

...and finally, you should beat on your brakes...ironically, they last longer that way. If you try to treat them easily, what you're doing is holding the pads on hot rotors for longer and the heat won't dissipate as quickly as when you threshold brake...hard stab just before the turn.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post

Also, you probably don't need both axles done...usually you'll get twice the life out of the rear.

...and finally, you should beat on your brakes...ironically, they last longer that way. If you try to treat them easily, what you're doing is holding the pads on hot rotors for longer and the heat won't dissipate as quickly as when you threshold brake...hard stab just before the turn.
Genuine BMW is OE. Textar is OEM. Big difference, D. I've had trouble with textar. I would not buy again. I'm getting performance friction next.

And not exactly sure what you meant by all that other stuff.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Weste46

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Re: Brake pad brands...

Akebono ceramic pads are very nice..

Koni STR.T, poly RTABs, headers, SSK.
Three Pedals, ZSP.
Weste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weste46 View Post
Akebono ceramic pads are very nice..
I second this.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Genuine BMW is OE. Textar is OEM. Big difference, D. I've had trouble with textar. I would not buy again. I'm getting performance friction next.

And not exactly sure what you meant by all that other stuff.
On the first...I'm saying that BMW pads from the dealer say Textar on them and when I compared the Textars I got from bmaparts with the pads I got from the dealer, they were identical...except for the roundel...every number/designation stamped on the bmw pad was on the textar. Anyway...I agree it's OEM...and I know you had trouble with Textar...I haven't.

...and on the other stuff...I meant that it's better on the brakes/rotors to use them hard when you use them, rather than to 'be easy' on them. If someone uses the brakes gently to save them, they're really not...at least, so I've read and believe...and I read enough to believe. Scares the crap out of my son always wondering if I'm going to remember to brake!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
LittleBear

Quote:

Also, you probably don't need both axles done...usually you'll get twice the life out of the rear....
Hi Dmax,
It depends; I need to change my front rotors & maybe rear rotors, and also want to try a different brand of pad. I'm not loving my StopTech pads. So that means new rr pads as well to keep the balance equal.
But I just checked my rotor better, & while the fronts have a nice lip, the rears only have a tint lip. So I'll keep them for a while.

"Scares the crap out of my son always wondering if I'm going to remember to brake!"
I so often have a dog or two in the back, I have to be easy on the brakes. But when I ditch the mutts & little woman, it's a different story. But I don't track my car.

Murf

Last edited by LittleBear; 10-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
On the first...I'm saying that BMW pads from the dealer say Textar on them and when I compared the Textars I got from bmaparts with the pads I got from the dealer, they were identical...except for the roundel...every number/designation stamped on the bmw pad was on the textar. Anyway...I agree it's OEM...and I know you had trouble with Textar...I haven't.

...and on the other stuff...I meant that it's better on the brakes/rotors to use them hard when you use them, rather than to 'be easy' on them. If someone uses the brakes gently to save them, they're really not...at least, so I've read and believe...and I read enough to believe. Scares the crap out of my son always wondering if I'm going to remember to brake!
I know what you are saying about Textar visual twins to OE cause I was the first to say it. Using hard is fine but so is using gentle. Beat on them unnecessarily hard though and I hope you change your brake fluid more often.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
dmax

Not sure why using them hard would require more frequent brake fluid changing...they hold less heat when using hard...as the pads sit on rotors for less time. Truth is, though, I hardly ever use my brakes in traffic...I just drive like a truck.

OP...I got 60K miles on my front pads...just fyi...and the rotors were above min thickness.

Anyway, if you want it to stop like a bmw, use bmw parts...OE or textars...trust me. Not doubting that Mango didn't have issues with textar, but I'd say it's either an aberration or something else was going on...but I'm the same way as him...once I 'next' a product, I just won't use it again either.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Not sure why using them hard would require more frequent brake fluid changing...they hold less heat when using hard...as the pads sit on rotors for less time. Truth is, though, I hardly ever use my brakes in traffic...I just drive like a truck.

OP...I got 60K miles on my front pads...just fyi...and the rotors were above min thickness.

Anyway, if you want it to stop like a bmw, use bmw parts...OE or textars...trust me. Not doubting that Mango didn't have issues with textar, but I'd say it's either an aberration or something else was going on...but I'm the same way as him...once I 'next' a product, I just won't use it again either.
I had two sets of Textars with the same results. BMAparts finally exchanged them at no additional cost for ATEs. Been perfect since. Tock had the same experience.

Also hard braking generates heat and heat degrades brake fluid by causing gas (air bubbles) which is compressable. That compression compromises braking performance and feel. Seriously, DMAX? If I were going to your comedy gig, I'd probably cancel my appearance! just saying!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
CirrusSR22

My Ride: E36 318ti, E46 323it
I have 87,000 miles on my Jurid pads/Balo rotors and am extremely gentle with them. I focus on "energy management" - paying attention far down the road so I don't have to use them hard at all (which saves gas, saves brakes and avoids rear end crashes). Lift off the throttle and coast, or downshift, when necessary. It's amazing how many idiots on the road go full bore right until they hit that approaching red light then slam on the brakes.

By what's left of them, the pads will easily go over 100,000 miles. No chance they would last that long if I used them hard. Also, it seems like a jackass move to be slamming on your brakes at the last second on the street.

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 05-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
I have 87,000 miles on my Jurid pads and am extremely gentle with them. I focus on "energy management" - paying attention far down the road so I don't have to use them hard at all (which saves gas, saves brakes and avoids rear end crashes). Lift off the throttle and coast, or downshift, when necessary. It's amazing how many idiots on the road go full bore right until they hit that approaching red light then slam on the brakes.

By what's left of them, the pads will easily go over 100,000 miles. No chance they would last that long if I used them hard. Also, it seems like a jackass move to be slamming on your brakes at the last second on the street.
What can we say? we're talking dmax here

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
ATE brake pads smell like butthole.

Yup I said it.

Also- murf- no disrespect, but less posting, more searching.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
ATE brake pads smell like butthole.

Yup I said it.

They smell just like Textar how do your pads smell?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
They smell just like Textar how do your pads smell?
Like Strawberries.

All I know is that I removed the pads that came with my car and threw them out (ATE) because they got that dank smell bro!

I have no shame.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
LittleBear

Quote:
Hi D,
I search before almost all my questions. Sometimes I pick the wrong search terms, sometimes the results are contradictory or inadequate.
Sometimes I get a little tired of reading answers by so many, um, experts and feel the need to guide the discussion!

Murf
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Like Strawberries.

All I know is that I removed the pads that came with my car and threw them out (ATE) because they got that dank smell bro!

I have no shame.
When you come down, I'll show you a bit of what ATE pads are capable of But I want performance friction next.

Ready?

This is one of the "milder" ones too

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #19
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Hi D,
I search before almost all my questions. Sometimes I pick the wrong search terms, sometimes the results are contradictory or inadequate.
Sometimes I get a little tired of reading answers by so many, um, experts and feel the need to guide the discussion!

Murf
It takes two seconds to find out that Jurid is OEM supplier for fronts and Textar is oem supplier for rears. No need to make two threads on your search for brakes and rotors.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Brakes turn the kinetic energy of the car into heat. So, braking 0-50 mph in 100 feet will convert the same amount of energy as stopping 0-50 in 200 feet. The 100 foot stop will reach a higher peak temperature. So on the 200 foot stop, you'll have more of a plateau in terms of temperature vs time, and on the 100 foot stop it'll create more of a peak. This is all very non-linear since as the temperature rises, heat dissipation through the air increases drastically. So, the 100 foot stop will rapidly drop in temperature and asymptotically approach the 200 foot stop's cooling temp. The wear component is extremely complex. I can't say whether stopping faster causes more or less wear necessarily. Honestly, it probably all about equals out except in extreme circumstances. For instance, we all know riding the brakes down a hill is terrible so you either downshift, or use the brakes in harder pulses with rest in between.

We all know that harder braking is more fun though. So there's that.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 05-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote