E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
BimmerBuisness

My Ride: 2005 325CI
longevity of supercharged 325 motor?

Hello all I just got my first BMW (2005 325ci step). I love this car but power, though not a real concern, is something I would like to change through Supercharging the vehicle.
So I have been searching the forum constantly not for*people that have just supercharged their car,*but someone thats had one for a long duration of time and posted his results.
Here is my scenario. I live and work on a mountain next to palmsprings, constantly I am having to up down left right you name it throughout my daily driving experience. Having this car is*definately a lot of fun*however when it comes time to accelerate uphill the standard delivered power makes it so I basically need to*go WOT to go uphill and gain any speed whatsoever. Im not a speed deamon, I am not some kid looking to race every single rice rocket out there,*I am just an average guy looking for a little more kick to my vehicle for my daily driving.
Through reading others posts I know I am going to get the Sell your car buy an M story but that is not what im looking for. I love to be unique and have something not many others have,*Also I was able to get this 325CI with 50,000 miles on it for 7k mint. Im a talker and managed to get what I wanted which was at least 40% off the what the previous owner (woman owned) wanted for it. So after saying that, having a supercharged 50,000 mile 325 for what im guessing to be around a grand total spent of*13k based off of Active Autowerkes price for their supercharger*kit seems to me to be the better option than going out and buying a high mileage m3 that has been WOT >50% of its lifetime. Everyone that has an M3 out here is a kid smashing the hell out of it.
My true concern is longevity of the motor afterwards. Knowing im not a speed deamon, that im not going to be WOT Max Boosting all the time, that it was driven by a mother with kids since it had left BMW's lot. Do any of you see any reason why this would be a bad choice for my daily driver? Has someone driven their supercharged bmw 50+ thousand miles and has had no issues?
All advice, even talking me out of the supercharger,*except go buy an m3, is appreciated
Thank you all for your time.
BimmerBuisness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
AndyN

My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Go for it, I got around 15000 miles from my stage 2, 325. The engine gave in at 150,000, yours is allot lower so should last you many many years, I am currently replacing my 325 with 330, should be running on sat can't wait! Go for it and go ess, twin screw will have low down torque which is what the 325 really needs...

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Bimmer App
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
BimmerBuisness

My Ride: 2005 325CI
Glad to hear someone got some mileage out of their motor. My goal is to make this car last as long as yours with a supercharger on it. Stage 2 seems unnecessary for me though, I never do anything in a straight line besides cruise control. Any other recommendations?
BimmerBuisness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci

15,000 miles on a supercharger and 150,000 total miles seems rather short for a motor. Seems that something was not right with your setup.

I have a 330 and over 90,000 boosted miles and 126,000 overall miles. ESS stage 2 twin scroll kit.

Lots of track days, autocrosses, and mountain runs. You should be fine. I prefer to stay away from AA as it seems they have more quality control issues than others but it's your money.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
AndyN

My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Yes it was very short. Lost compression on 3 cylinders. Hope the 330 lasts longer!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Bimmer App
Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci

I certainly hope so!

I'll let you know when I hit 150k miles.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro

I want to supercharge my 325 because it's much too slow but I don't have a choice because I like wagons! You have a coupe so you have a choice! Buy an M3 and don't worry about the reliability!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Supercharged my 328 recently with 138k miles on the clock. Went with stage 2.5 kit from active (their stage 2 plus meth) and have been told that it should hold up so long as I'm not tracking the car or dogging it on the highway. Given that I have babied the car from day one, I'm expecting that it holds up but we shall see.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
get your tune straight yet?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
get your tune straight yet?
Need to get it squared away this week (so I can drive up for the OC show). RRT wanted to make sure everything mechanically looked right before throwing it back on the dyno. I have the tuning cable from Active so will have it done by Zak (via remote tune) over at Mach V motorsports with RRT on hand for guidance.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
sweet
Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
BoostedZHP

My Ride: ZHP
Re: longevity of supercharged 325 motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Need to get it squared away this week (so I can drive up for the OC show). RRT wanted to make sure everything mechanically looked right before throwing it back on the dyno. I have the tuning cable from Active so will have it done by Zak (via remote tune) over at Mach V motorsports with RRT on hand for guidance.
LEGIT

Sent from my Nexus 4 using BimmerApp mobile app
BoostedZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Nothing wrong with supercharging a 325. I would pick ESS twinscrew over AA but it's just personal preference. In fact I had stage 1 on the 325 and made 243whp.
Wait a minute, is your car an automatic?
Nevermind. Sell it (probably for more than you paid) and get a faster car.
Don't get hung up on the mileage. It's not that important. The engine internals are not likely to fail. If you get high mileage 330 or M3 and spend $1K on engine maintenance (all gaskets and sensors) it will be as good as low mileage.

Last edited by lab rat; 06-03-2013 at 05:46 PM.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
The automatic transmission is going to be the bottleneck here, and if and when it fail with the added power, you will be stuck.

But there have been people who has gone that route then swaps their transmission and rear end with an m3 rear end and 6 speed transmission for as low as 1800 buck in parts and their own labor.

Its your call and your money. I think it will hold for awhile and not give you trouble for a couple of years. Its too bad its not a stick so you can get the most out of it, as boost is very addicting..once you get it, you will always want more..to squeeze out just a little more...it will never truly be fast enough

good luck!

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
I've had mine supercharged since 60,000 Kms, and am sitting at about 75,000 Kms - so far so good, and still like the day it was boosted