E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Are painted headlight bowls (AKA Chris Brown mod) OK or not OK?
OK! 30 53.57%
Not OK! 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #81
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuick5156 View Post
I was going to quote people and respond accordingly but frankly to lazy to go through all that on my phone.

I would however like to point out as I believe mango said, painting your bowls does look silly. It's a unique mod and will make your car stand out but...

Please pull up to an interview for an important job with blue headlight bowls or some other obnoxious mod.

A good example is civics that are slammed with huge wings, please show me one person who would take them seriously. Obviously it can be argued its how they act, but we all know that's not how the world works. It's all about first impressions, and how you look.

I swear mango isn't paying me to agree with his point of view but I happen to agree with it most of the time.

Maturity just arrives earlier for some.

Also

+1 for Dmax taking abuse xD

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I don't recall taking any abuse here...probably because the worst any of you could give me would feel like sweet love compared to what I get from the soon-to-be Ex!

So, for those of you wanting to have me feel abused, you need to try much harder! lol

As far as my brother, Mango...

There are few here, you know, who publicly 'lean' to stock...obviously he and I are two...and there are many others. Of course, he and I have different styles of delivery, but by and large, the philosophy is the same. All we're doing is drawing a line in the sand, saying, "cross it at your own peril."

Were it not for this line having been here with those few feeling the time and energy to draw/define this line, for others' benefit, I fear that there would be very few e46's looking or driving like BMWs. Were it not for those few here who do the work to help, to publish diys, I can't imagine how many owners here would have given up on their cars long ago due to their expense.

It takes a village, you know. If you try to think of my friend, Mango, as the Frank Lloyd Wright of e46 rebuilding, you'd understand him better. You know, if you bought a house from FLW, he designed the furniture, told you where to put it, and probably thought you should consider yourself lucky to have the privilege to live in a home he built. So Mango is a little (a lot) intense about what he believes and knows, and instead of being angered by his tenacity, just balance it with your own tastes/wants, and you will, in many cases, arrive at a place that's better for both you and your car.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #82
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I don't recall taking any abuse here...probably because the worst any of you could give me would feel like sweet love compared to what I get from the soon-to-be Ex!
Deep

The line in the sand has been drawn based on the votes in this poll. I have a good idea now!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #83
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I said that the first time (actually I put it even more friendlier than that) and you got your panties in a bunch. Read the thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...8&postcount=12
You know I did. Juvenile is insulting.

Common Sense is officially dead.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #84
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You calling me a **** and being told to **** is insulting.

Calling a modification juvenile is merely an opinion. Can you not share opinions without resorting to insults that are censored by the forum?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #85
Japanrot_325i

My Ride: 03 325i
Poll: Chris Brown Headlight Mod -- OK or NOT OK?

Why does it matter we all like different things that's the beauty of car modification. If I want to see a clean stock e46 I can. If I want to see a heavily modded e46 I can. Everybody has there own opinion on what an e46 should look like. I personally think the painted bowls look kinda cool. Some people don't oh well it's my car ill do what I will with it. No ones going to ever agree so everyone just deal with it and find like minded enthusiasts who enjoy what you do. Stop bickering like children.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #86
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanrot_325i View Post
Why does it matter we all like different things that's the beauty of car modification. If I want to see a clean stock e46 I can. If I want to see a heavily modded e46 I can. Everybody has there own opinion on what an e46 should look like. I personally think the painted bowls look kinda cool. Some people don't oh well it's my car ill do what I will with it. No ones going to ever agree so everyone just deal with it and find like minded enthusiasts who enjoy what you do. Stop bickering like children.

This isn't about preference though. I don't care if you paint your car pink, install an aftermarket exhaust, or put on angel eyes.

I do care, however, if younger inexperienced people who don't know squat about lighting are ruining their headlight bowls by painting them. Because, to varying degrees, it's potentially dangerous and is illegal.

Just know what you are getting into here. An irreversible, illegal, reduced-functioning mod on a very very expensive factory part.

There's many threads where people have bought used cars with expensive ruined lights and those who painted it and have regretted it as well as having trouble with law enforcement.

If you get a ticket or for some reason want to reverse it, you're looking at a $2,000 replacement bill (at least).

GL!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-09-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #87
Japanrot_325i

Quote:
This isn't about preference though. I don't care if you paint your car pink, install an aftermarket exhaust, or put on angel eyes.

I do care, however, if younger inexperienced people who don't know squat about lighting are ruining their headlight bowls by painting them. Because, to varying degrees, it's potentially dangerous and is illegal.

Just know what you are getting into here. An irreversible, illegal, reduced-functioning mod on a very very expensive factory part.

There's many threads where people have bought used cars with expensive ruined lights and those who painted it and have regretted it as well as having trouble with law enforcement.

If you get a ticket or for some reason want to reverse it, you're looking at a $2,000 replacement bill (at least).

GL!
Ok I understand you trying to drop wisdom fine. But why does it matter to you. You don't have to drive see or even be around these people's cars. Come to the thread say I don't like painted headlight bowls and be done. Don't come in and write 50 posts trying to shame people for a stupid painted headlight bowl. I could see your concern if I said I wanted to only run two lug nuts. But bowls just let it go. I live in bumfuck Egypt so the chance of me getting pulled over for mods is slim to none. Don't think people don't appreciate your wisdom because they do. Just stop trying to drill these things into people's heads. If they didn't listen to you once there not going to listen.

Last edited by Japanrot_325i; 05-09-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #88
E46Snowball

My Ride: 330i

Looks lame...stock looks better. So what's the point? You wanna make your car look cheaper?

6 speed
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #89
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Re: Poll: Chris Brown Headlight Mod -- OK or NOT OK?

Quote:
Juvenile is only insulting to youngsters who try to be seen as an adult.

As my mid 30's are officially behind me I would take juvenile as a compliment.

In fact, I have matte black paint, CF CSL trunk, lid CF M3 hood, an M3 bumper...on 16" BBS

*Edit and a bit of a bald spot

Will someone please call me Juvenile? Please

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 05-09-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #90
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanrot_325i View Post
Ok I understand you trying to drop wisdom fine. But why does it matter to you. You don't have to drive see or even be around these people's cars. Come to the thread say I don't like painted headlight bowls and be done. Don't come in and write 50 posts trying to shame people for a stupid painted headlight bowl. I could see your concern if I said I wanted to only run two lug nuts. But bowls just let it go. I live in bumfuck Egypt so the chance of me getting pulled over for mods is slim to none. Don't think people don't appreciate your wisdom because they do. Just stop trying to drill these things into people's heads. If they didn't listen to you once there not going to listen.

People keep responding asking for reasoning just as you are. So I just keep responding. Don't like it, stop asking me questions.

Just because you haven't been pulled over yet doesn't justify it. I'm not drilling anything into anyones heads. You should hear what I really think. But I don't post it. I posted one comment in the original thread and people ask WHY IS IT ILLEGAL WHY IS IT JUVENILE. So you'll get an answer cause you asked.

Anything else you want to ask? Ask away.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #91
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Re: Poll: Chris Brown Headlight Mod -- OK or NOT OK?

Quote:
Anything else you want to ask? Ask away.
Perhaps an "Ask Mango Anything Thread" is in order here.

But srs

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #92
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post

In fact, I have matte black paint, CF CSL trunk, lid CF M3 hood, an M3 bumper...on 16" BBS

The 16" wheels show you mean business as opposed to some heavy arse 19" black wheels. or worse yet 20s. So I wouldn't call you juvenile for your prefences in paint color. It's just color.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #93
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Perhaps an "Ask Mango Anything Thread" is in order here.

But srs
i was thinking about doing a WHO IS E46MANGO thread . there's a lot of misconceptions about me and my car. I swear 9 out of 10 people here try to insult me by saying my car is stock. Little do they know. That's why I shrug off any insults because people are misinformed. I take it as a compliment though that my mods are undetectable.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-09-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #94
Japanrot_325i

Quote:

Everything about that is juvenile lol. Better? But yes illegal it is juvenile not really. I mean if you think modding your car is juvenile than that's your choice. There's really no point in arguing if your essentially going to say " because I said so" the whole time.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #95
Mango
A full five stars, son

In all seriousness, it is seriously looking like an age/experience thing now. If you'll notice, the old timers (03/05/06,etc.) are voting against painted headlights and the newer members (2012/2013) are voting for it. Interesting. Kind of a social experiment in a way.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #96
Japanrot_325i

Quote:
In all seriousness, it is seriously looking like an age/experience thing now. If you'll notice, the old timers (03/05/06,etc.) are voting against painted headlights and the newer members (2012/2013) are voting for it. Interesting. Kind of a social experiment in a way.
I Mean i can understand where your coming from an older crowd wanting a clean classy car. I'm an attention whore so I enjoy modding and seeing people's reactions. Around here people drool over my car for some odd reason. I

Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #97
WDE46

Quote:
Yep when people get angry, they turn it on me, my family, my age, the commercial, money, etc. etc. Sad.
That is actually way more unacceptable than you making assumptions about other members and the condescending tone.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #98
WDE46

I don't think we needed a thread to determine if younger members are more inclined to do cosmetic mods than older members.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #99
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
That is actually way more unacceptable than you making assumptions about other members and the condescending tone.

Quote:
I don't think we needed a thread to determine if younger members are more inclined to do cosmetic mods than older members.

kinda contradicting yourself there.

tell goingnuts i said hi. he probably needs help testing his suspension in a walmart parking lot somewhere in england.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #100
WDE46

Quote:
kinda contradicting yourself there.

tell goingnuts i said hi. he probably needs help testing his suspension in a walmart parking lot somewhere in england.
Seemingly. I'm not making "younger" out to be a negative thing is the difference. I also don't think I'm better than anyone because I am older than them. I will find GoingNuts and help him change his leaking FSR bushing.

Last edited by WDE46; 05-09-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Closed Thread