E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Dyno'd the 325Ci the other day.

A local meet this past weekend was doing dyno pulls for only $20... so I figured why not. I've had the car dyno'd before about 4 years ago when I first got it bone stock with only a K&N filter on a Mustang Dyno and it put down 161hp.

Current performance mods are a custom after axle Y-pipe into a 3" Vibrant muffler, K&N Typhoon intake, UUC pulleys, Besian Systems Vanos Seals, 3.46 auto diff swap, and regular maintenance. The car currently has 112k miles. It managed to put down 165whp.

While it's not fast by any means, I'm pretty happy with those numbers and that it's still consistent with the power it put down years back. I've attached the printout below.

One thing I saw while I was there that really blew my mind was another guy with a 325Ci with I think he said 187k on the clock and 19" rims. In talking with him he said he only had an intake, exhaust, and 'Dinan Stage 3' ecu. I watched the car run on the dyno and it showed he put down 248whp. 248whp. I didn't hear any kind of forced induction, nor did I see any under the hood (looked stock minus intake), and I saw the run and printout myself and it was all legit. Had I not seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it. After his run, a 330i ran and did around 186whp, then an E36 M3 ran and did 197whp, then I ran, and all those numbers were fairly consistent with the motor's rated power. How the hell would 248whp even be possible on an NA 325Ci when guys on here with 330's sporting headers, cams, and all the bolt-on's struggle to move near or past 225whp? The only thing I can think of is the dyno screwed up or was thrown off by the wheels or something, or he's got some kind of secret FI/NO2 setup going on that he's not talking about. He mentioned he was surprised it only put down 248 and he was really hoping for more than that.

Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 05-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
330i4me

My Ride: 01 330i
If you watched the dyno run on that guys car and the motor revved out really quick, he definately hit it with a shot of nitrous
330i4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
///Mvious

My Ride: E46 330
I hate I missed it...that was at the EuroEnvy grand opening huh? The place look nice?

Nice looking Steel Blue btw!

248whp - no chance w/o FI or NO2
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
ICONIKE46

My Ride: Horse & Buggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBbimmer View Post
248whp - no chance w/o FI or NO2
This^

Literally impossible on a 325 to make that power NA ever. You can hit 200whp NA (maybe squeeze a lil bit more pending on motor health) on a 325 with full bolt-ons/NA mods and a dyno tune. (cams, headers, exhaust, intake, tune)

He had to of had some kind of FI or a shot of nitrous.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
If it looked all stock........

He has a well hidden nitrous system, plain and simple.

Nitrous !

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
ThatGuy_JZ

Thanks everyone.

Yeah RBbimmer, it was the EuroEnvy meet. I had a good time and everyone there was pretty cool.

In regards to the other guy's dyno, I'm not trying to flame him or anything, he's a cool guy and all, I just couldn't wrap my head around those numbers.

Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 05-08-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
lamsv

My Ride: 2001 325iT
Nice curve you got there. No big dips in the power at all! Just another reason why I love the BMW I6... That smooth powerband.

lamsv:2001 325iT
lamsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
///Mvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy_JZ View Post
Thanks everyone.

Yeah RBbimmer, it was the EuroEnvy meet. I had a good time and everyone there was pretty cool.

In regards to the other guy's dyno, I'm not trying to flame him or anything, he's a cool guy and all, I just couldn't wrap my head around those numbers.
Good to hear...I do want to check them out sometime, but its a bit of a hike from Fort Mill! The owner comes to the NC BMWCCA meetings...seems like a good guy.

You ever at Cars & Coffee in CLT? I missed the last couple, but good time and there are a few E46s
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
ThatGuy_JZ

Yeah I've been to the last few C&C meets, always a good time. It was real cold at the last one and there was still a good turnout. Lots of nice cars out there.

lamsv - thanks man!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
indoafro

My Ride: 325ci

just curious...u said that he put stage 3 dinan computer right ? maybe thats the point...because if you get the right formula, you can get high output hp..let say he combine his part really good..intake+exhaust+dinan tune...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
indoafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
///Mvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoafro View Post
just curious...u said that he put stage 3 dinan computer right ? maybe thats the point...because if you get the right formula, you can get high output hp..let say he combine his part really good..intake+exhaust+dinan tune...

You can see here what the M54B25's are making...http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=768715
A tune doesn't do much for our cars in N/A form...they come pretty well tuned from the factory... with those said mods, I'd be impressed with 175 whp!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Prihadi

My Ride: E46 325i
Is it a stroke up engine still considered as NA? Friend of mine just stroke up rom 325 to 330 by replacing stock crank , conrod and piston from 330i. Add dastek unichip , little bit tune and dyno'ed to get 240hp

I own a 325i 2001 with dastek + throttle response kit , last time dyno'ed got 200hp .. I'm looking forward to stroke up to 3000 , it gain quite a lot might be coz before I bought the car (2011) , with only 40k km on cluster, it had been used only to drive home and school since 2001. The ecu might "learn" the behaviour for that long.

The feel after dastek installation is like driving another car, really....it more responsive...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rev Engineering 001.pdf (252.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf Rev Engineering 002.pdf (255.3 KB, 19 views)
Prihadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
indoafro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prihadi View Post
Is it a stroke up engine still considered as NA? Friend of mine just stroke up rom 325 to 330 by replacing stock crank , conrod and piston from 330i. Add dastek unichip , little bit tune and dyno'ed to get 240hp

I own a 325i 2001 with dastek + throttle response kit , last time dyno'ed got 200hp .. I'm looking forward to stroke up to 3000 , it gain quite a lot might be coz before I bought the car (2011) , with only 40k km on cluster, it had been used only to drive home and school since 2001. The ecu might "learn" the behaviour for that long.

The feel after dastek installation is like driving another car, really....it more responsive...
yess sir, its still NA...what is throttle set up kit ? have you ever try a 6throttle ? (its like 6 barrel carb but its for injection engine)

Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
indoafro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBbimmer View Post
You can see here what the M54B25's are making...http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=768715
A tune doesn't do much for our cars in N/A form...they come pretty well tuned from the factory... with those said mods, I'd be impressed with 175 whp!
man, i believe it can be more than that...because i used to "playing" with 4 (straight) NA...and i can make arround 150hp (on wheel)...i believe bmw engine can make arround 250 hp on wheel...let say if you put dastek+software+do some research on exhaust piping+either slap the head/change the pistons into highcomp...

Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
///Mvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoafro View Post
man, i believe it can be more than that...because i used to "playing" with 4 (straight) NA...and i can make arround 150hp (on wheel)...i believe bmw engine can make arround 250 hp on wheel...let say if you put dastek+software+do some research on exhaust piping+either slap the head/change the pistons into highcomp...

Believe more than what? What the guys are putting down on that dyno thread or more than 175 whp w/intake+tune+exhaust (the guys said mods)? I wasn't implying that thread holds the limit of what the B25 is capable of, but was just referencing a good source for what has been attained with listed mods....250 whp out of a N/A M54B25?...Sure, with a high $$/labor motor build...but not with just bolt-ons and a tune
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
indoafro

ah sorry dude, i was miss understanding.....

Old 05-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
What am I missing here? Awesome numbers.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
alex230ro

My Ride: BMW 325ti compact
Quote:

i belive in this topic it all about the power at wheel,and you are refering about engine power at flywheel.
alex230ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #19
Prihadi

My Ride: E46 325i
@Indoafro: the throttle kit i mean is a module installed on the pedal to get rid the delay when you step on the gas pedal untilnthe engine respon. I'm interested for 6 barrel carb for injection machine, where can I find it?

@alex230rp: when I did the dyno I think its on wheel (the car is running on a running barrels)...cmiiw, as for at flywheel dyno you will need put the dyno directly to the engine, isn't it? please advice...
Prihadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #20
indoafro

Quote:
@Indoafro: the throttle kit i mean is a module installed on the pedal to get rid the delay when you step on the gas pedal untilnthe engine respon. I'm interested for 6 barrel carb for injection machine, where can I find it?

@alex230rp: when I did the dyno I think its on wheel (the car is running on a running barrels)...cmiiw, as for at flywheel dyno you will need put the dyno directly to the engine, isn't it? please advice...
you can search "multi throttle" or "individual throttle kit"...