E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Personal training on the side. Lots of ideas and feedback needed

So, I've been thinking about this for a while, very early stages of my plan but I need some feed back.

This stuff is my passion, I love being around it and I would love to turn it into a little extra income. My plan is to get NASM certified, seems like one of the better ones, and train on the side. I don't want to work in a gym for a few reasons. I don't have the time for a job that demands me to be somewhere at certain times and I don't want to deal with a boss. I will be keeping my primary job because without this I'm in the poor house. I'm willing to start really slow and grow as time comes. I'd be happy to start with a few sessions every few weeks if that's what it takes because I do not need this as my income at the moment. Ideally, I'd be so busy I'd do nothing but train but I'm being realistic here lol.

These are my 3 ideas for training people:
Have clients come to my house to train, I have a pretty nice set up where almost everything you'd need to train can be done.

Bring minimal equipment to peoples homes (most likely women since lugging a squat rack isn't doable). I can bring things like dumbbells, kettle bells, jump rope, abmats etc.

Join the local gyms and train clients there. I'm not sure if this is allowed. If I just checked in and "worked out with someone" maybe they'd never know.

No idea what I'd charge for the sessions yet. Probably very cheap to start.

I would like to get some sort of nutrition cert if there is one that wont require me to go back to school as well. I know a lot about that stuff but I think people care about certifications so I'd be willing to do that too.

As many of you know, I drive the most horrific car of the road, the nissan cube. I figured this can work to my advantage by putting some sort of banner on it advertising what I do. Something like "the traveling trainer" or something with a logo and description of what I offer. I'd create a fb page, have all my friends like it, and share it when they are willing. I'd do craigslist ads, put flyers and business cards around town etc.

I know I have a lot to think about but my first step I feel is getting the study materials and working on that. $700 for the program, which includes the test.

From my experience on these forums, whenever someone has an idea like this most people say it's a terrible idea. I feel like worst case scenario, I spend $700, waste a little time, and learn a little so I'm not too worried. I need to give it a try. I'm a 30 years old college graduate that's been around business owners my whole life and I feel I have a lot of business sense. I see a lot of wrong people do with their businesses and I think I can do decently if I want it bad enough. As far as I know, there aren't many people doing this in my area.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
I am ISSA certified, but the NASM is really good (...and more common). If you feel like it's your passion, go for it man. It took me 3 years to burn out as a personal trainer, but my clientele wasn't hand-picked either.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
If you don't have a condescending attitude like http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=982930, then I think you'll be fine.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I continuously think about doing the same thing once I am in the shape I need to be for something like that.

I think it is a great idea if you can deal with people, especially lazy unmotivated ones. Or even worse, that coupled with a knack for complaining.

But I honestly don't think I could take the frustration involved with people in general, let alone in a fitness environment.

I think having a hand picked clientele of mostly aspiring athletes etc (essentially handpicking the dedicated + motivated) would be both an awesome business + experience. But usually those people don't need trainers to begin with :\
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I am ISSA certified, but the NASM is really good (...and more common). If you feel like it's your passion, go for it man. It took me 3 years to burn out as a personal trainer, but my clientele wasn't hand-picked either.
you worked out of a gym right?

Any idea what kind of rates I should charge. Keep in mind people aren't super rich in this area and I'm not too concerned with money yet. I was thinking $30 or so to start, maybe a little less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
If you don't have a condescending attitude like http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=982930, then I think you'll be fine.
link didnt work
Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I continuously think about doing the same thing once I am in the shape I need to be for something like that.

I think it is a great idea if you can deal with people, especially lazy unmotivated ones. Or even worse, that coupled with a knack for complaining.

But I honestly don't think I could take the frustration involved with people in general, let alone in a fitness environment.

I think having a hand picked clientele of mostly aspiring athletes etc (essentially handpicking the dedicated + motivated) would be both an awesome business + experience. But usually those people don't need trainers to begin with :\
I would think most people would be older women. Most people that want to get big and athletic most likely wouldn't come to me unless I looked like a monster. They have too much pride to listen to someone that isn't a truck. Which I understand. I don't agree with it but I can see why people think this.

Last edited by DylloS; 05-08-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
See, I can't do that. You are probably a better man than me... I can't pretend to like listening to peoples lame conversations, their excuses about why they are at their current fitness level, what they think they should be doing. Remember, the older they are the more bs they've swallowed about fitness/nutrition... and I'm sure it is a lot harder to convince them.

I've met / trained with a lot of trainers over the years... most of them are pretty sh*tty people. Really turned me off from the whole thing. More interested in padding their pockets than seeing their clients progress. It is like the planet fitness mentality lol.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
See, I can't do that. You are probably a better man than me... I can't pretend to like listening to peoples lame conversations, their excuses about why they are at their current fitness level, what they think they should be doing. Remember, the older they are the more bs they've swallowed about fitness/nutrition... and I'm sure it is a lot harder to convince them.

I've met / trained with a lot of trainers over the years... most of them are pretty sh*tty people. Really turned me off from the whole thing. More interested in padding their pockets than seeing their clients progress. It is like the planet fitness mentality lol.
Maybe I wont like it, who knows. Ideally I'd train and 18 year old kid that wants to become an athletic monster but I'll take what I can get for now.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I would think most people would be older women. Most people that want to get big and athletic most likely wouldn't come to me unless I looked like a monster. They have too much pride to listen to someone that isn't a truck. Which I understand. I don't agree with it but I can see why people think this.
Yeah I agree. I think you're open to way more clientele if you have a nice athletic build.

This is one of the trainers at my gym, and I think he's struggling to make it. Some people choose a trainer or coach for how they aspire to look, maybe he's intimidating. Would you think the average soccer mom would go to him to "tone up" lmao..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
M3Inline6

Quote:

Any idea what kind of rates I should charge. Keep in mind people aren't super rich in this area and I'm not too concerned with money yet. I was thinking $30 or so to start, maybe a little less.

Yeah, I was employed at 24HR Fitness (..Certified PT II). When I began training on the side, I charged $20 an hour.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
A couple of my friends go to a guy that has his own gym, he started out doing exactly what you plan on doing, running training sessions out of his house.

He now has a dedicated location and a trailer to cart equipment around, he will mostly bring stuff like tires and ropes to parks for workouts, I dont think he is carting around squat racks. He does a lot of private group classes, the ones my friends go to is called man camp and it sounds very similar to the types of workouts you are doing.

I was talking to this guy about it briefly at a party and he was saying the best thing to do is start small and get your name out there.

He has a Facebook page for his gym, I'll try to find it for you.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:

link didnt work
When the wife and I were going to a trainer it was $40 for one person for an average of 45 minutes or $60 for both of us for an average of 45 minutes. I mention average because sometimes the sessions were an hour, sometimes they were a little under 45. I think $30 for a session seems pretty reasonable.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
A couple of my friends go to a guy that has his own gym, he started out doing exactly what you plan on doing, running training sessions out of his house.

He now has a dedicated location and a trailer to cart equipment around, he will mostly bring stuff like tires and ropes to parks for workouts, I dont think he is carting around squat racks. He does a lot of private group classes, the ones my friends go to is called man camp and it sounds very similar to the types of workouts you are doing.

I was talking to this guy about it briefly at a party and he was saying the best thing to do is start small and get your name out there.

He has a Facebook page for his gym, I'll try to find it for you.
exactly what I want to do. thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
When the wife and I were going to a trainer it was $40 for one person for an average of 45 minutes or $60 for both of us for an average of 45 minutes. I mention average because sometimes the sessions were an hour, sometimes they were a little under 45. I think $30 for a session seems pretty reasonable.
yea I would lower it for small group rates. Makes sense. I'd have referral incentives, package deals, goal incentives etc. Something like reach your goal receive a free session or something.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
I think he charges my buddies $20 a session for their group classes, but they are cops so he may be cutting them a deal.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
I think he charges my buddies $20 a session for their group classes, but they are cops so he may be cutting them a deal.
not bad. I think I might pick up this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Train...rsonal+trainer
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Op would u provide a nutritional program as well?

That's like 85% right there of ones health

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I think what would make this tough is :

- The people who will want your services will upset you with their lack of motivation... there are some who will prove me wrong on this.
- The people who you'd want to help (those who are looking to really push and make gains) will likely not have a trainer (or already have one).

Personally, if you were in my neck of the woods, I'd hire you to help with my form and mock me while I did wimpo weights... Would help motivate the extra rep or two.

Either way, before investing, I'd do it in your garage with what you have and ensure that you want the headaches.

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 05-08-2013 at 12:33 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post

- The people who will want your services will upset you with their lack of motivation... there are some who will prove me wrong on this.
- The people who you'd want to help (those who are looking to really push and make gains) will likely not have a trainer (or already have one).

Personally, if you were in my neck of the woods, I'd hire you to help with my form and mock me while I did wimpo weights... Would help motivate the extra rep or two.

Either way, before investing, I'd do it in your garage with what you have and ensure that you want the headaches.

Exactly! That fact will be the source of the "burnout"......especially if personal training isn't your money maker (..i.e..primary job).
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Op would u provide a nutritional program as well?

That's like 85% right there of ones health
I would provide what I legally can. I'm not sure if I'm allowed or not if I don't have any certs. But I would like to get one if I can.

With that said, I would definitely give my advise because like you said, that's about 85% of the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post

You're right. I would have to be patient and either deal with that or not train those people. I know I have a lot to learn and figure out but I think I'm on the right track.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Either way, look into square for iphone.. would be a nice way to accept payment in your garage and, if you're doing credit card, you can have people on an autobill where you can charge them even if they don't show (which i imagine will happen a good bit).

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote