E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #41
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
Well obviously a market exists. The guys at 24hr fitness have there clientele walking in on a daily basis. It is like my law office being set up in the county jail. Not some garage, where I am gonna get raped.
that's why word of mouth will help me. I doubt anyone will see me advertise and just show up to my house. Maybe after some in home meetings or phone calls they would.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #42
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
If by rape you mean that upon their arrival they will no longer be free to provide mental consent based upon the undeniable physical attraction. Then yes.
haha touche
Old 05-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #43
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Well obviously a market exists. The guys at 24hr fitness have there clientele walking in on a daily basis. It is like my law office being set up in the county jail. Not some garage, where I am gonna get raped.
Ummm, it is NOT EASY to sell someone on a $1500 package of 24 training sessions. Sure, people are walking in the gym daily, but they aren't walking in prepared to spend anywhere from $249 (..on a special) to over a grand. It takes the gift of gab and a silver tongue to get somebody to pull out their checkbook.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #44
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Ummm, it is NOT EASY to sell someone on a $1500 package of 24 training sessions. Sure, people are walking in the gym daily, but they aren't walking in prepared to spend anywhere from $249 (..on a special) to over a grand. It takes the gift of gab and a silver tongue to get somebody to pull out their checkbook.
Of course. But it is a numbers game. They have 100s a people a day come in. All they need is one sucker a week

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #45
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Personal training on the side. Lots of ideas and feedback needed

You should work for an established company first. Build up a clientele, being them with. Aka steal. It's from a big business anyway.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #46
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
You should work for an established company first. Build up a clientele, being them with. Aka steal. It's from a big business anyway.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
and I believe illegal. I'm sure it's doable but I don't have the free time to work in a gym right now. I need to do this when I can.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #47
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
If you love it and it's your passion, no question you should do it. I think you will excel at it..Start by getting the certs you need, educating yourself extensively on workouts of different types of bodies, nutrition and create helpful pamphlets for your clients.

I think the end result for you should be to own a gym, that would be legit.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #48
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
If you love it and it's your passion, no question you should do it. I think you will excel at it..Start by getting the certs you need, educating yourself extensively on workouts of different types of bodies, nutrition and create helpful pamphlets for your clients.

I think the end result for you should be to own a gym, that would be legit.
I would absolutely love owning my own gym. If I could be around this stuff all day long I'd be a happy person. There's a lot of competition around here but who knows. Other than one crossfit gym there is no where to be able to make noise and drop weights lol
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #49
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Here is the guys gym I was talking about.

http://www.snf-fitness.com/
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #50
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Here is the guys gym I was talking about.

http://www.snf-fitness.com/
looks awesome. I love stuff like that.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #51
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
looks awesome. I love stuff like that.
Yeah I just got the go ahead to start running on my ankle, once it's 100% I'm going to try to get into some of these classes with my buddies, just sucks because they are usually mid afternoon, midweek which I can't make.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #52
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Op would u provide a nutritional program as well?

That's like 85% right there of ones health
Most Personal Trainers =/= Nutritionists... They have no business laying out a nutrition plan for their clients.

Quote:
This, especially at your typical commercial gym. Getting into personal training is not easy at all. You can make great $$ branching out on your own, but it's not the paved road some people think it is.

If you're serious about becoming a CPT, the NASM certification is one of the better ones to get. Plan on starting small and build up good rapport with your clients... And by building up a good rapport, I don't mean becoming their buddy (to a degree). It still needs to be a professional environment. This is why you shouldn't take on friends / family as clients. You would think it's a good way to start you along the way, but the more relaxed environment leads to blurred lines... They won't see you as their trainer and they will start to slack, complain, miss sessions, etc. The same is true for you. It will be easy for your personal relationship with them to make you more lenient with their actions.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #53
dabears

I had personal training three years ago, and while the commitment worked great for me... looking back the actual routines & diet supplied for me was (what I consider) garbage. Typical hypertrophy split, only barbell I touched was for squats... and the meal plan was typical 6 small meals of eggs/toast/chicken/potatoes/rice/whey protein as staples. I'll never forget my first trainer telling me that if I wanted McDonalds, to go for it... it would help my gains.

I think if I went to get a nutrition certificate I wouldn't be able to go through with it. Given the conventional wisdom & food recommended by governments/nutritionists, I wouldn't want to be part of that collective.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #54
DylloS

Quote:
Yeah I just got the go ahead to start running on my ankle, once it's 100% I'm going to try to get into some of these classes with my buddies, just sucks because they are usually mid afternoon, midweek which I can't make.
that sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Most Personal Trainers =/= Nutritionists... They have no business laying out a nutrition plan for their clients.

This, especially at your typical commercial gym. Getting into personal training is not easy at all. You can make great $$ branching out on your own, but it's not the paved road some people think it is.

If you're serious about becoming a CPT, the NASM certification is one of the better ones to get. Plan on starting small and build up good rapport with your clients... And by building up a good rapport, I don't mean becoming their buddy (to a degree). It still needs to be a professional environment. This is why you shouldn't take on friends / family as clients. You would think it's a good way to start you along the way, but the more relaxed environment leads to blurred lines... They won't see you as their trainer and they will start to slack, complain, miss sessions, etc. The same is true for you. It will be easy for your personal relationship with them to make you more lenient with their actions.
That's exactly what I plan on doing. I will probably try to train friends and grow from them. i'm glad you have some good feedback though. I was a little worried what the people like you would think around here. don't shatter my dreams brah!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #55
M3Inline6

Quote:

That's exactly what I plan on doing. I will probably try to train friends and grow from them. i'm glad you have some good feedback though. I was a little worried what the people like you would think around here. don't shatter my dreams brah!

LOL! I know that opinions/suggestions run high around here, but we really do have good intentions. Gaining perspective from those of us who have "been there" will only serve to improve your success.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #56
DylloS

Quote:
LOL! I know that opinions/suggestions run high around here, but we really do have good intentions. Gaining perspective from those of us who have "been there" will only serve to improve your success.
definitely man. I'm glad I'm getting some pretty good feedback from you guys. I know around this entire site when someone wants to do something business wise it gets a lot of negativity. I know most people leave out a lot of details and don't put much thought into things though.

Example: I want to open a car dealership. How do I start?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #57
dabears

I've found the hardest thing in life when listening to advice that is against what your opinion/goals is the fact that

A) everyone likes to give advice, and not everyone can be right... how do you know who to listen to? (not saying that is relevant here)
B) everyone is stubborn as fk, and think they have the best ideas (I struggle with this lol)
C) People are jaded from previous bad advice, and apply this to all advice they are given

If you question the advice, and they give solid reasons (like bimmerchop did) ... I think it is worth the gamble!

I've noticed when I've given advice regarding weight training / food to friends, they usually don't take it seriously because there isn't that "professional/authoritative" figure giving it... it is their buddy. Gets discounted
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #58
bgsmith

Quote:
definitely man. I'm glad I'm getting some pretty good feedback from you guys. I know around this entire site when someone wants to do something business wise it gets a lot of negativity. I know most people leave out a lot of details and don't put much thought into things though.

Example: I want to open a car dealership. How do I start?
I think the main thing to take into account here is you are doing this because you want to and it is something you enjoy, so why not try to help others and maybe make some money doing it.

If you started a thread saying you were quitting your job and selling the Cube (do you still have that thing?) in order to start a personal training business out of your garage it would be a whole different story.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #59
M3Inline6

Look at it this way DylloS, if the endeavor proves to be a failed effort, you can always work P/T at a corporate gym because you'll have your NASM (...or other relevant cert).
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #60
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I've found the hardest thing in life when listening to advice that is against what your opinion/goals is the fact that

A) everyone likes to give advice, and not everyone can be right... how do you know who to listen to? (not saying that is relevant here)
B) everyone is stubborn as fk, and think they have the best ideas (I struggle with this lol)
C) People are jaded from previous bad advice, and apply this to all advice they are given

If you question the advice, and they give solid reasons (like bimmerchop did) ... I think it is worth the gamble!

I've noticed when I've given advice regarding weight training / food to friends, they usually don't take it seriously because there isn't that "professional/authoritative" figure giving it... it is their buddy. Gets discounted
Exactly right. I know almost no one that started their own business other than older family members. I think people are scared to fail and too many people talk them out of it. I also agree with you on your last point. Right now I'm just some guy that's in better shape than the average person and I read a lot about health and fitness. Without a certification or something, I mean nothing to most people. I know this cert will teach me some things but I doubt it will completely change my outlook on how I would approach a program for a fat lady but I know I need it to do this.

I almost talked myself out of this because I find it difficult to get people to workout at my house for free but I never said "hey come over and I'll train you for nothing". I think that may be different. And as corney as it is this kind of kicked me in my ass and made me want to do it

I have nothing to lose but a little time and a thousand bucks or so.

Quote:
I think the main thing to take into account here is you are doing this because you want to and it is something you enjoy, so why not try to help others and maybe make some money doing it.

If you started a thread saying you were quitting your job and selling the Cube (do you still have that thing?) in order to start a personal training business out of your garage it would be a whole different story.

very true. I know I have to start slow and I'm expecting to make maybe $100 in my first few months. I'm ok with that. Just being certified and learning will be a good accomplishment.

Last edited by DylloS; 05-09-2013 at 12:48 PM.