E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #61
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Step 1

Last edited by DylloS; 01-21-2014 at 07:08 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #62
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
If you like CF try being a trainer at one of those. I've been one for 2 years now and it's pretty cool. Free gym membership and great way to meet girls. Most of the training income comes from the classes. One way I used to get clients was starting a meetup group (Fitness Hooligans if you want to see it). I would do free classes in the park on Saturday at 9am. I bring minimal equipment and make the workout 20 minute burners. I'll bring pvc to teach a few of the basic barbell movements in the beginning. I like showing the overhead squat the most because it's a decent way to show people how inflexible they have become from sitting at a desk. At the end of the workout I just pass out my card and wait for people to contact me. I tried running morning boot camps but the times people were available never coincided with my normal work schedule.

I get a lot of free loaders who come but every now and then a client comes through. A trainer friend of mine who's schedule is more flexible then me runs bootcamps from my meetup and charges people $10 a head. I believe he gets 5-8 clients every saturday. He's got a truck though so he'll brings more equipment. If you don't have a ton of room in your car try making your own sandbags. I got those military laundry bags and filled it with mulch and stone. They range from 15-30lbs. You can also make those bulgarian training bags using truck inner tubes. You an search the web to look how to make it.

Cost for my meetup group is 75 every 6 months. I had to pay the park in the beginning like 200 a quarter and show proof of insurance. I've actually stopped paying the park though after the first quarter. The meetup group is a great cheap way to get started to see if you actually like training people. If you don't want to do it in the park you can just limit the class size to whatever will fit in your garage. That way your workouts can involve some actual training.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #63
DylloS

So I've been thinking about this a lot lately and on ESPN radio they're advertising for NASM and offer $150 off the program right now. So it will cost me $550 instead of $700. I'm buying it friday and going to get this ball rolling.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #64
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
I think I mentioned this but the guy who runs the gym I sent the link of does group classes Mon-Fri for two of my buddies and 3 other guys, 5 1-2 hour sessions 5 days a week for $40 a person each week.

Works out great for everyone as he usually works out with them and they all feed off each other, I just wish I could go but they are during the day.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #65
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Personal training on the side. Lots of ideas and feedback needed

I've been training a few people. No certifications. Haha. Though, I am not really that serious about it. Get as many certs as you can dude!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 07-03-2013 at 11:37 AM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #66
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
I think I mentioned this but the guy who runs the gym I sent the link of does group classes Mon-Fri for two of my buddies and 3 other guys, 5 1-2 hour sessions 5 days a week for $40 a person each week.

Works out great for everyone as he usually works out with them and they all feed off each other, I just wish I could go but they are during the day.
That would be cool. I don't have that much equipment so I would have to just do 2 at a time or make up complete body weight cardio style workouts for groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
I've been training a few people. No certifications. Haha. Though, I am not really that serious about it. Get as many certs as you can dude!

That's kind of what I've been doing. It's more along the lines of "come workout with me" though and just helping them.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #67
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
The only way I'd suggest doing this, is if you were to market yourself towards housewives.

Housewives = Money.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #68
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
The only way I'd suggest doing this, is if you were to market yourself towards housewives.

Housewives = Money.
pretty much what I'd try to do. I don't see a 35 year old dude calling me.

I didn't pull the trigger yet on the cert. It was a good sale but I have other sh1t I need to worry about right now.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #69
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Re: Personal training on the side. Lots of ideas and feedback needed

I haven't read through this, but i did read your original post. This is exactly what I've been doing. I basically only train people that request it, and do it extremely cheap because i love to help.

It's my passion and the fact that people are beginning to really respect my input in the field is an amazing feeling. Not much could make me happier.

I don't like to bring people to my home gym (mostly because the room is kind of small and the ceiling a bit low) but i have brought people to my gym. I doubt it's "acceptable" according to the gym, but it looks as nothing more than helping a friend out. I also do house calls (with women when less equipment is needed).

I've been really considering getting certified and also been throwing the idea of working towards opening my own gym (with all the other gyms, the equipment they have and low membership prices i can never figure that the plan would succeed).

I'll read more tomorrow and get into this. This is kind of a large subscription post lol
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #70
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
I haven't read through this, but i did read your original post. This is exactly what I've been doing. I basically only train people that request it, and do it extremely cheap because i love to help.

It's my passion and the fact that people are beginning to really respect my input in the field is an amazing feeling. Not much could make me happier.

I don't like to bring people to my home gym (mostly because the room is kind of small and the ceiling a bit low) but i have brought people to my gym. I doubt it's "acceptable" according to the gym, but it looks as nothing more than helping a friend out. I also do house calls (with women when less equipment is needed).

I've been really considering getting certified and also been throwing the idea of working towards opening my own gym (with all the other gyms, the equipment they have and low membership prices i can never figure that the plan would succeed).

I'll read more tomorrow and get into this. This is kind of a large subscription post lol
How much do you charge people and how do you get the word out?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #71
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Personal training on the side. Lots of ideas and feedback needed

Go for it dude!

Certifications mean nothing though... All the best coaches/trainers I've ever worked with have no certifications. Albeit, they do look good on paper if you don't have a clientele.

I charge $50/hr when I train people. I have free access to a gym so it all goes straight in my pocket.

Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #72
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
Go for it dude!

Certifications mean nothing though... All the best coaches/trainers I've ever worked with have no certifications. Albeit, they do look good on paper if you don't have a clientele.

I charge $50/hr when I train people. I have free access to a gym so it all goes straight in my pocket.

That's why I want it. Just to be taken a little more serious. I have a pretty well equipped home gym that I'd be using.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #73
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
How much do you charge people and how do you get the word out?
I post a lot of motivational statuses on Facebook that i write, a lot are fitness related. It may sound lame, but I've heard from many people they really enjoy reading them and they like my mindset. It seems like every time i post a post workout selfie with a pump on fb(always with clothes on) I'll get about 3 pm's of fitness questions and they're sometimes interested in getting trained.

I've never really tried to "get the word out". It seems the more dedicated and positive i stay, people notice and come to me. I only help people that request it.

Like i said, i enjoy helping people because this is what i love to do. I generally charge from $5-$25 a session. Remember, many of these people are my friends. The way i see it though, I'm not going to make much money now, but the word will begin to spread. Word of mouth is your best advertisement. Then people will see the bodies of the people I'm training begin to transform, they'll ask questions, my name will get dropped, and the word will begin to spread like wildfire. My reputation will continue to get better, more people will know and my clientele will continue to grow.

Right now the money doesn't make a difference to me, but if this goes well it could potentially pay off in the long run.

In a week my buddies fiancee will have the baby, and in a few weeks I'll begin training her. This, i think, will REALLY help get my name and the word out.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #74
Trashcan

Also to help maintain a quality reputation, i won't take on anybody at this point that i don't believe will put the necessary effort and dedication in. If they're lazy, but don't understand they're lazy, that could make for bad word of mouth and harm your reputation.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #75
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
Also to help maintain a quality reputation, i won't take on anybody at this point that i don't believe will put the necessary effort and dedication in. If they're lazy, but don't understand they're lazy, that could make for bad word of mouth and harm your reputation.
Great point. I have a guy that comes to my place regularly that does half ass workouts. I should tell him to stop lol.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #76
Trashcan

This is making me nervous about training that girl after she has her second kid soon....

Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #77
DylloS

You guys think it's a good idea to post something on my fb trying to get Agee people to train for free over the next few months as "practice" and to try to get a little experience under my belt. Something like

Hey guys I'm going to be starting a personal training business and need a few trainees. This will cost you nothing. Just a few hours a week and listening to my advice.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #78
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You guys think it's a good idea to post something on my fb trying to get Agee people to train for free over the next few months as "practice" and to try to get a little experience under my belt. Something like

Hey guys I'm going to be starting a personal training business and need a few trainees. This will cost you nothing. Just a few hours a week and listening to my advice.
I would find guys you know who will be dedicated (so you don't waste time for a couple weeks and have someone bail) and something like a 12 week training program where they agree to be "testimonials" and have their before and after pics (faces or no faces) taken and be used public ally, you'd need to draft something up for them to sign.

In return they get free personal training. You can essentially build a nutrition plan and training plan and get practice doing so, with non customers so risk is low if it doesn't work. Plus you get marketing material for "free".

So essentially create a structured program that you use on real life clients and give it a test run.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #79
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I would find guys you know who will be dedicated (so you don't waste time for a couple weeks and have someone bail) and something like a 12 week training program where they agree to be "testimonials" and have their before and after pics (faces or no faces) taken and be used public ally, you'd need to draft something up for them to sign.

In return they get free personal training. You can essentially build a nutrition plan and training plan and get practice doing so, with non customers so risk is low if it doesn't work. Plus you get marketing material for "free".

So essentially create a structured program that you use on real life clients and give it a test run.
This, I would find a couple dedicated people who you can use as a marketing tool in exchange for free training/gym time.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #80
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
This, I would find a couple dedicated people who you can use as a marketing tool in exchange for free training/gym time.
This is exactly what I want. Ideal trainees would be one man one woman. Both a little over weight. I just have to figure out a way to get my message across and have people that are interested message me.