E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
youngs

My Ride: 04'330ci RX-8 FX35
after car wash , headlight out.

Hi Fella fanatics.

Came back with another problem lol.
so I moved to SoCal last week , and I shipped my car to my brother.
the car arrived earlier than scheduled , so my brother got the car.
he thought the car is too dirty after long trip , so he went to machine car wash without asking!!
After the car wash he said the headlight out indicator was on , and the light was not on. before the car wash he saw 2 headlight.

maybe this can be just coincidence but I highly doubt this can be some kind of flood issue into ballaster or some connector problem.

I've been driving this car in a severe heavy rainy , stormy days , and had no issue at all. but never done with machine car wash.

what do you guys think? any hint, or advice will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
youngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Are they OEM never-been-touched headlights or ghetto-rigged knock offs you installed, this information would help a lot.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
youngs

it is OEM , never touched. bi-xenon with adaptive. Thank you sir!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
Breaking News!

"9 Year Old Headlight Bulb Dies"
More news at 10:00

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelski View Post
Breaking News!

lul
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Bimmerfun325i

My Ride: E46 M3
My M3 did that with the xenon lights i had in there. 2 days later they were working fine again. for some reason sometimes when you get a car wash, condensation or moisture will get in there and then shut your light of at the time.... give it a couple of days before you do anything. if it doesnt come back on, then it could be a ballast or something.

-Austin
Bimmerfun325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
youngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelski View Post
Breaking News!

Well , it might be just old bulb died. I was just asking opinion
Thanks anyways.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
youngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun325i View Post
My M3 did that with the xenon lights i had in there. 2 days later they were working fine again. for some reason sometimes when you get a car wash, condensation or moisture will get in there and then shut your light of at the time.... give it a couple of days before you do anything. if it doesnt come back on, then it could be a ballast or something.

-Austin
Thank you Austin.
I will let it go for couple of days. past 2 days we had rain here , so maybe I should wait at this point.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
after car wash , headlight out.

Washing your car should not affect your headlights in anyway unless there is a pre-existing issue.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Bimmerfun325i

Yeah it could be the ballast then if it has been over two days... get a shop to check it out, shouldn't take much for them to see whether it is or not!

-Austin
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
youngs

went to the shop today. they tried new bulb, not working. the looked the ballast said it is not the ballast without test. so the control module I have to get is $426. I will try with used parts. any good idea where to get it?

are these different from pre-facelift? adaptive has different one? sedan , coupe difference?
If you had similar problem ,or selling parts please let me know.
Thank you again guys!

Last edited by youngs; 05-09-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Bimmerfun325i

dude... if they wanna charge you $426 just for a control module, just get this or something similar to this man. http://compare.ebay.com/like/1710111...Types&var=sbar its a whole projector set up, and its still about the same thing as it would cost for that one light. that way you could just get a full let up again. the problem with only replacing one bulb or control module, is that one bulb will then be brighter then the other and possibly a different color so it might look weird haha. my person opinion

-Austin
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
youngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun325i View Post
dude... if they wanna charge you $426 just for a control module, just get this or something similar to this man. http://compare.ebay.com/like/1710111...Types&var=sbar its a whole projector set up, and its still about the same thing as it would cost for that one light. that way you could just get a full let up again. the problem with only replacing one bulb or control module, is that one bulb will then be brighter then the other and possibly a different color so it might look weird haha. my person opinion

-Austin
Wow, are these come as a complete assy with housing?
Damn looks nice , but I guess it will need to code the LCM.
seriously this seems better than actual OEM lol
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Bimmerfun325i

yeah it comes with all of that to my knowledge! that is just one of many that you could put onto your car for around the same price as replacing that one problem that you were told you had. that way, everything remains equal and one light doesnt look brighter or a different color then the other as for the codes, im sure that when ever your local shop puts them in, they can handle all of that. if you want to do it by yourself, check out this page. it describes the different codes that you will need to install the projectors! http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...60&hg=61&fg=35
Good luck!
- Austin