E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Brevik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 783
My Ride: Tiag M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Yes, it sucks when you have your ass handed to you by a fa ggot.
Fixed
__________________
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Lair
E46Fanatic
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Council housing
Posts: 320
My Ride: 330ciC
There's that homosex fantasy again - invariably thrown into the mix as an insult by republicans.

Freud just hit redline.
__________________

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
I have to disagree. Certainly on the abortion and gay marriage issues. If it was really a case of just today's shiny, these issues would not keep coming up time and time and time again. I agree many issue of the moments are replaced the next day by the new shiny: under-age drinking on college campuses or porn on the internet for examples. But, I think you have to admit that guns, abortion, and gay marriage just keep marching back to the front pages over and over again.
Oh, they definitely come up over and over again. But in the minds of the general public, they only get the spotlight sporadically--only long enough to foam at the mouth for a couple of days before flipping the channel back to watch the Kardashians.

Which is not to say that there are not plenty of people out there who think about these issues continuously. It's just that there aren't enough of those people at the present time to make any significant headway on the issues.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I'd also like to respond to the actual subject line: Most people care about social issues because they are too ignorant to understand fiscal issues. Anyone can have an opinion on a social issue and sound like they know what they are talking about.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'd also like to respond to the actual subject line: Most people care about social issues because they are too ignorant to understand fiscal issues. Anyone can have an opinion on a social issue and sound like they know what they are talking about.
I agree with Rob that all economic/fiscal issues eventually wind up being social issues--what could be more socially impactful than how the government chooses to spend money and tax revenue?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #26
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Oh, they definitely come up over and over again. But in the minds of the general public, they only get the spotlight sporadically--only long enough to foam at the mouth for a couple of days before flipping the channel back to watch the Kardashians.
I can see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Which is not to say that there are not plenty of people out there who think about these issues continuously. It's just that there aren't enough of those people at the present time to make any significant headway on the issues.
I have to disagree to some extent on this. The pro-choice camp worked for years, even after Roe v Wade to get to a point where abortions were not just legal, but readily available and at a reasonably nominal cost. That happened during the 70s and early 80s. And, access to both abortion and contraception were generally accepted by the society (whether they agreed with them or not) and during that time those issues were on Cronkite's lips once a fortnight. They were the issues of the day. Now since that time I would concur that the "pro-life" camp has been a bit "in waves" and not able to make significant headway. I think you would be hard pressed to find a 30 day news cycle since 2000 where the same-sex marriage was not a top story of the day at least once. The pro-same-sex marriage camp has done a good job at keeping the issue "in the news".

So I would take the view that as a society changes its general position on an issue (as with abortion in the 70s and 80 and same-sex marriage over the last 15 years) the side they are moving towards can have some pretty good news traction on an issue. The opposition side to that change may have a difficult time keeping up with the Kardashians.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #27
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'd also like to respond to the actual subject line: Most people care about social issues because they are too ignorant to understand fiscal issues. Anyone can have an opinion on a social issue and sound like they know what they are talking about.
Actually the opposite is true.
Virtually everybody understands fiscal issues, they just look in their wallet. The state of it tells them all they need to know about fiscal issues. Social issues are much more complex. People are far more difficult to engineer than dollar bills and debt ceilings.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #28
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Social issues are based on emotions and we all know emotions have no scientific credibility, therefore in a perfect world we could function without social issues and make real progress.
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 05-09-2013 at 12:18 AM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #29
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Actually the opposite is true.
Virtually everybody understands fiscal issues, they just look in their wallet. The state of it tells them all they need to know about fiscal issues. Social issues are much more complex. People are far more difficult to engineer than dollar bills and debt ceilings.
Disagree. I do not think people comprehend how much money 5 trillion dollars is or what the effect of increasing money supply through quantitative easing has on the value of their dollar. Heck, I know people don't understand what the effect of inflation is outside of "everything got more expensive" and they sure don't know the extent of which things are taxed.

Many people can't budget their own wallet, you think you understand a national budget?
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 816
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Social issues are based on emotions and we all know emotions have no scientific credibility, therefore in a perfect world we could function without social issues and make real progress.
You are Spock, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Disagree. I do not think people comprehend how much money 5 trillion dollars is or what the effect of increasing money supply through quantitative easing has on the value of their dollar. Heck, I know people don't understand what the effect of inflation is outside of "everything got more expensive" and they sure don't know the extent of which things are taxed.

Many people can't budget their own wallet, you think you understand a national budget?
You may as well put yourself in this category in certain instances.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #31
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
You may as well put yourself in this category in certain instances.
Im a lawyer*, dammit, not a financier!





*with an economics degree
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 05-09-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #32
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Social issues are based on emotions and we all know emotions have no scientific credibility, therefore in a perfect world we could function without social issues and make real progress.
In a perfect world, we would have Plato's republic which is basically pure communism. Is that what you really want?

If you don't think economic issues are based on emotion, you are deluding yourself.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #33
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Disagree. I do not think people comprehend how much money 5 trillion dollars is or what the effect of increasing money supply through quantitative easing has on the value of their dollar. Heck, I know people don't understand what the effect of inflation is outside of "everything got more expensive" and they sure don't know the extent of which things are taxed.

Many people can't budget their own wallet, you think you understand a national budget?
AofG, you are side-stepping your argument. "Everything got more expensive" is all they need to know. It is not that they are capable, it is that, in practical terms, they don't need to know more than that.

You have an econ theory fetish. (Probably why you were an econ major.) That is great. I'm happy for you. However, just because it doesn't arouse 98+5 of the population, doesn't mean that they are incapable or stupid. It just means they don't give a rat's tuckus, outside of very narrow parameters.

Just because it is important to you, doesn't mean it is important to the....wait for it.....society.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Last edited by rdsesq; 05-09-2013 at 12:56 PM.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #34
Rhumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 100
My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpembs View Post
It's kinda funny how people associate republicans and Jesus...

Because republicans hardly follow Jesus Christ's teachings aside from high profile things like the issues we were discussing above.
Perhaps more accurately: GOP using Jesus as bait and a distraction for Evangelicals and as a cudgel against your political foes.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use