E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
First 10K... Tips? Experiences?

So I'm running my first 10K ever (or any "K" for that matter). I haven't gone for a non treadmill run since highschool. Yeah, I don't like running

But this is for below the waist cancer, and it is called the "Underwear affair"... essentially it is a bunch of girls / guys in minimal clothing. You don't want to be in the 5k Walk... that's where the whales hang. There will be plenty of hot girls in bra and panties running though, I will do my best to keep pace

Me and my buddies team name that we came up with is "Pimp My Stride". I think its pretty clever... we have to raise a minimum of $500 so starting to get to work on that.

It is my birthday weekend and there will be a big party / beer gardens at the finish line, so it is perfect.

To get to the point... for those who have done endurance type running, do you have any tips? I am going to do my best to get a run in every week until June 15th (Day of the race). Should I start slow and build from there? Very newbie runner here.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert

I'd start by running more than once a week. Run 3-4X/week, and increase your distance by 10-15% per week.

Pace yourself- start off at a pace you think you can maintain for the entire run. Don't sprint out of the chute, and fizzle out 2kms later.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
I'd start by running more than once a week. Run 3-4X/week, and increase your distance by 10-15% per week.

Pace yourself- start off at a pace you think you can maintain for the entire run. Don't sprint out of the chute, and fizzle out 2kms later.

Thanks for the advice, but I lift heavy 3x a week, and play hockey twice a week. I can only fit in a run once a week, and it is bottom of the list priority wise. That being said, I still want to be able to complete the 10K without dying/having to walk. I'm in good shape for hockey... but I think a 10K is a lot different demand wise on the body.

So you think a once a week run for 3-5K wouldn't be enough?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
I am no expert, but I did run track and cross country in high school, I would up your distances if you are only running once a week. Being that a 10k is 6.2 miles you should train to be able to run 5 miles. If you are only running a couple miles once a week a full 10k might be a little rough to finish without walking.

Most important thing is pace, you have to be disciplined and not start off too fast.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
I thought you meant "first 10k in the bank"
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
I have not ran a 10k event. I have ran a few 5ks and ran 10k amount at home in the streets. Once a week is going to be tough. You really need to get out and run a 5k amount to see what your fitness level is at this point. Determine your pace (8min mile, 9, 10..) It may be easy for you. It may kill. If your fitness level is good then it is just a mental thing. Just shut off the quit part in your head and run it 100 meters at a time. Make sure you have the right shoes. Running the 10k will be easier at the event than at home. It is a different atmosphere.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
I have not ran a 10k event. I have ran a few 5ks and ran 10k amount at home in the streets. Once a week is going to be tough. You really need to get out and run a 5k amount to see what your fitness level is at this point. Determine your pace (8min mile, 9, 10..) It may be easy for you. It may kill. If your fitness level is good then it is just a mental thing. Just shut off the quit part in your head and run it 100 meters at a time. Make sure you have the right shoes. Running the 10k will be easier at the event than at home. It is a different atmosphere.
Thanks, I was hoping to get out today but my running partners are busy.. so golfing it is

I have new balance minimus shoes, I think they are ok for running? I don't really want to invest much money in this, since it is a one off thing for me.

I'll definitely update this thread once I've gone for a proper long distance run. I'm a really good sprinter, but no clue about my endurance.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Interval training. You're gonna have a very hard time progressing if you only run once a week.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
Exactly, that's why you need to be able to run 5 mikes comfortably. The atmosphere/adrenalin of the race will push you the rest of the way.

And yes shoes are very important, you can mess your legs up pretty bad with the wrong footwear on, shin splints, stress fractured, etc. especially if you don't run often.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Cruzader

My Ride: Alpinweiß facelift
Basically just get your cardio system strong enough endurance wise to last the length the race will take you. If your only running once a week then it depends on how far you making it each time, but that's not much training. Try some cardio post lifting like stationary bicycle or something to keep your heart rate up.
Good luck and post pics
Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Interval training. You're gonna have a very hard time progressing if you only run once a week.
What would you consider competitive hockey? I kill myself out there for 45-60 seconds, the sit on bench for 1-2 minutes. Rinse and repeat for ~45 minutes.

I didn't think that would translate to steady state long distance running... if it does, fk yeah. I am going for a run early next week so I can update then.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
What would you consider competitive hockey? I kill myself out there for 45-60 seconds, the sit on bench for 1-2 minutes. Rinse and repeat for ~45 minutes.

I didn't think that would translate to steady state long distance running... if it does, fk yeah. I am going for a run early next week so I can update then.
You might be in great cardiovascular shape but running can be a shock to the system. As I mentioned above you can cause some serious damage to your legs if you just get out there and start running for distance.

A guy I work with plays hockey and basketball multiple times a week, played hockey in college. Went for a run a couple weeks ago and ended up with a stress fracture in his foot.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Check out the aps that prepare you for one.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Properstyle

My Ride: 2002 SMG M3
You need to start doing longer runs say 3-5 mile runs 3 times a week which isn't bad thats about 23-37 mins worth of running which you can do in the am before work... what you need to focus on is maintianing a pace running on a trendmil is good for this but not every person is built or has the mindset to run on a trend mil at an exact pace for that long. When I was training to got to basic trainning I start running from my house to the nearest base to play basic ball at 5 am twice a week, it was 4 miles one way. When I got to basic I was running my 2 mile in 10.55 -1115 consently. The key was finding a pace I could maintian, when ever you start running longer distance the same rule applies. This is comming from a 200meter sprinter so take that with a gain of salt as other may have better tricks..
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
dabears

This thread is starting to make me realize I'm in over my head lol.

It is also making me dread my first run (of course I will still do it, I'm very motivated).
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
You might be in great cardiovascular shape but running can be a shock to the system. As I mentioned above you can cause some serious damage to your legs if you just get out there and start running for distance.

A guy I work with plays hockey and basketball multiple times a week, played hockey in college. Went for a run a couple weeks ago and ended up with a stress fracture in his foot.
Yeah I'm going to wear my spun compression socks, and take it easy for the first two-three runs (light jogging 2-3 miles). I will figure out a pace that works from that, and continously add to it.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert

Hockey is all anaerobic. Running is aerobic.

You are going to need to run more than once a week if you want a competitive time- there is no way around that. Also, running on a treadmill is nothing like running outdoors. If your run is outdoors, your training should be outdoors also.

As someone already mentioned, shoes are very important. Go get fitted properly, or don't bother running at all. You'll regret it within a week.

Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I did an undie 10k once, I felt so primal chasing after all the hot chicks I didn't really need to train. I ran up to 5 miles 2x a week. Increases a mile a week 5 weeks prior. It was a lot of fun and easy, drinking with naked women everywhere was a blast.

Also if you play hockey, you will be fine. I know it's "anaerobic" but in all seriousness it's a **** ton harder than jogging. Especially pick up games with no subs, constant dump and chase

Last edited by DILLA; 05-09-2013 at 07:04 PM.
DILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Hockey is all anaerobic. Running is aerobic.

You are going to need to run more than once a week if you want a competitive time- there is no way around that. Also, running on a treadmill is nothing like running outdoors. If your run is outdoors, your training should be outdoors also.

As someone already mentioned, shoes are very important. Go get fitted properly, or don't bother running at all. You'll regret it within a week.

I agree with this to a point, but I still think hockey has aerobic qualities as well.

Also, I am not looking for a competitive time... my goal is to be able to do the run without stopping. That's it! Don't care about my time, it is just for fun and charity I also plan on training outdoors.

I'm hoping my new balance minimus shoes will work for running, I will find out next week. Don't want to spend much for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
I did an undie 10k once, I felt so primal chasing after all the hot chicks I didn't really need to train. I ran up to 5 miles 2x a week. Increases a mile a week 5 weeks prior. It was a lot of fun and easy, drinking with naked women everywhere was a blast.

Also if you play hockey, you will be fine. I know it's "anaerobic" but in all seriousness it's a **** ton harder than jogging. Especially pick up games with no subs, constant dump and chase
haha that's awesome, that's exactly what I envisioned. The past couple years I've parked a lawn chair in front a buddies house and drank beer while we watched them run past... while that is fun too I'd rather be a part of it.

Yeah that defines most of my "beer league" to a T... it is still very competitive but there are nights where we have 8 guys and you are on the ice for over 50% of the game, and expected to perform. Hoping that translates, at least a little bit.

I'll update this once I've gone for a solid run
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
Cruzader

My Ride: Alpinweiß facelift

I have those NB minimus shoes and stress fractured a metatarsal in my right foot in less than 20 miles. I went I undiagnosed for ~4 months and it took another 2 months to heal. While they look pretty cool, especially for NB, they have zero support. You may want to look into some mizuno or asics.
Be safe OP