E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
2002 330i - Sagging Headliner

The thin layer of headliner on my car has begun to fall (NOT the whole thing).

Do any fanatics here know of a way to hang it back to the roof without looking shoddy (glued) and that will last a long time? I thought some small pins could hold it up but im wary of sticking sharp pins into my roof and calling it done.

Has anyone taken it in to a shop or a tailor of some sort and had a positive outcome?

Yes, I did search the forum before posting.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
If you use a little 3m-77 adhesive spray, it should hold up. It wont look glued unless you go crazy with it
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
tylermaslanik

My Ride: 3 Pedal 323Ci
Get a used one from a junkyard. A lot easier to change it then fix it
tylermaslanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
How big is the section that's sagging? It's hard to get the glue under it depending on where it is.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
Swater330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
How big is the section that's sagging? It's hard to get the glue under it depending on where it is.
It is at the very back of the car, above the rear seats, the area above both seats are sagging, and the middle is pretty much attached but still obviously low, and it stops before the front seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
Not sure if your much of a DIY guy. but myself along with a couple of other members have taken the time to fully remove our liner and add something new to it. for example nothing was giong wrong with mine what so ever. i simply didnt think the grey fit so much inside of my car since everything below the pillars is black. removed it and with some 3M-777 i got this black suede i left anything that was plastic of that i couldnt wrap with fabric grey cus the black and grey combo actually complements my CF Fabric Trim. This pic is old as my sunroof is now also black suede
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
SK8URDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
lszlszx

If your car was a touring it would be an easy fix, the fabric could simply be peeled back from the rear, but on a coupe, or sedan?
I don't see how you could get the glue underneath, unless you cut the fabric.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, the cut would have to be large enough to see where you're spraying. If you can't find a way of getting enough glue in there, it won't hold up. Once it's holding, the cut would just look like ripple in the fabric, that's way better, than pins.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Swater330i

That's actually REALLY cool, if I can't get this fixed I will really have to look into that. My car has wood trim with gray everything else so ill have to shop around for something that fits those colours, or try some CF wrap.

Again thank you for the suggestion, looks spectacular!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
lszlszx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD View Post
Not sure if your much of a DIY guy. but myself along with a couple of other members have taken the time to fully remove our liner and add something new to it. for example nothing was giong wrong with mine what so ever. i simply didnt think the grey fit so much inside of my car since everything below the pillars is black. removed it and with some 3M-777 i got this
Really nice job, I love the color!

Last edited by lszlszx; 05-09-2013 at 11:57 PM.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
SK8URDEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater96 View Post
That's actually REALLY cool, if I can't get this fixed I will really have to look into that. My car has wood trim with gray everything else so ill have to shop around for something that fits those colours, or try some CF wrap.

Again thank you for the suggestion, looks spectacular!
thanks, also i see it says your from texas. if you live close to san antonio i plan on being back home next month. if you plan on going with my route with a different color let me know and id be happy to help. id say about a 2-3 hour job getting everything out lol, then takes a while to remove and apply new fabric since you want it to look sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Really nice job, I love the color!
thank you sir.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile

@SK8URDEAD that looks really nice! You should post dome recent pictures and a description of how you did the sunroof when you get the time. Every time I pass a fabric store I get a tingly urge to buy faux suede fabric and do this.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
Swater330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD View Post
thanks, also i see it says your from texas. if you live close to san antonio i plan on being back home next month. if you plan on going with my route with a different color let me know and id be happy to help. id say about a 2-3 hour job getting everything out lol, then takes a while to remove and apply new fabric since you want it to look sexy.

thank you sir.
I'm north east of Dallas, in Rockwall, so it'd be quite the trip down to San Antonio, but it is do-able if I can't get the glue to hold and i'm out of options. I'll shoot you a PM in the future if I want to go that route!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #13
SK8URDEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328isawesome View Post
@SK8URDEAD that looks really nice! You should post dome recent pictures and a description of how you did the sunroof when you get the time. Every time I pass a fabric store I get a tingly urge to buy faux suede fabric and do this.

old pic but heres how my interior used to look but with some new stuff. old shift knob in this pic as i now have the ZHP Weighted ship knob along with that diy camera mount now gone on the left head rest haha. also have a new center case under the ac again since it was stolen.... grey fits with the steering wheel color and have BLACK gauges on my cluster now

when i first bought the stuff at a fabric store for wayyy more then enough for like $30 i was going to upload pics that i have that show the entire process because i took pics over the entire job i did. but i didnt upload in photobucket so have to find them in my laptop which has over 2k pics... lol.

EDIT* found some more pics. bewareeee lots to uploaddddd
see the old B Pillar in the back how dirty it is. i love driving with my windows open and well they get dirty over time. being that mine are now black idk if they even are dirty since i did this 3 years ago lol.

C Pillars

A Pillars done already

close up on A

sizing up the headliner

fun kicks in

spray n pray(Marine Corps talk for shoot and let the enemy pray they dont get hit )

obviously the suede material is thicker then the regular material so it doesnt stretch very easy in tight corners or can get a tad bit cluttered. but its not crazy noticeable and people never see it. they end up falling in love with my room and touch it haha.

pic for the C Pillars on the car once it was done, stickers have long been removed lol
but yeah pretty simple job and sorry for taking over your topic with pics lol. just showing you some love of my past progress back in the dayyyy

Last edited by SK8URDEAD; 05-10-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
328isawesome

Nice! Since you're in Texas also, I'll ask what store you bought the fabric from. I've seen it at Hancock Fabrics but their faux suede is pricey.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #15
SK8URDEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328isawesome View Post
Nice! Since you're in Texas also, I'll ask what store you bought the fabric from. I've seen it at Hancock Fabrics but their faux suede is pricey.

Thats where i bought it lol. i dont remember exactly what type of suade it was since i believe they have different varieties.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
328isawesome

Haha oh I see. I'll just have to go in and ask the sales grannies what varieties they have. So how did you do the sunroof portion? I've done headliners in regular fabric before but with no sunroof. I've heard getting the sunroof part out and back in properly is a royal PITA.