E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #2421
dropbop

My Ride: 318i
Re: 318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

That didn't quite go to plan. 5 miles is all I got.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1375186865759.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	519262  

My First BMW - E46 318i 1999
dropbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #2422
dropbop

There must be another reason this car is overheating. The way I see it is if there is hot air inside the car then there is water in the system. At the rate it is leaking I would say no more than 1 litre was lost. That should leave plenty of water to keep cooling the engine.

Didn't think much of this until now but when I was looking up into the opening for the adjuster screw I saw a gauz/mesh type material in the connenting hole/pipe to the radiator.

By any chance is that suppose to be there does anyone know? Is it maybe restricting the flow of water.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #2423
dropbop

Was just talking to a BMW mechanic, he says the only thing that should be in that hole is the adjuster screw and water. So ordered another adjuster screw to pick up in the morning and gonna pull the one I just got off the rad and rip out whatever material is up in that hole.. hopefully that should give better flow of water and stop the car over heating...

I can deal with a leak, I dont mind having to top it up now and again, but I do mind when all I see on my dash is RED!! lol

Cant wait to get it in for a diagnostic... results should be shockingly expensive hahaha

Last edited by dropbop; 07-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #2424
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbop View Post
Was just talking to a BMW mechanic, he says the only thing that should be in that hole is the adjuster screw and water. So ordered another adjuster screw to pick up in the morning and gonna pull the one I just got off the rad and rip out whatever material is up in that hole.. hopefully that should give better flow of water and stop the car over heating...

I can deal with a leak, I dont mind having to top it up now and again, but I do mind when all I see on my dash is RED!! lol

Cant wait to get it in for a diagnostic... results should be shockingly expensive hahaha
I think the mesh is supposed to be there it catches the crap save it going back round the system! Is it still leaking from the adjuster screw? The thing is with overheating is because you have a leak and getting air in the system thus your not getting the correct pressure and thus overheat! Although only losing a litre. Now if the leak still coming from that adjuster screw, its obviously not fitting right so I would look also at the Rad or you can use K Seal to seal.

Last edited by Shaun1970; 07-30-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #2425
dropbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post
I think the mesh is supposed to be there it catches the crap save it going back round the system! Is it still leaking from the adjuster screw? The thing is with overheating is because you have a leak and getting air in the system thus your not getting the correct pressure and thus overheat! Although only losing a litre. Now if the leak still coming from that adjuster screw, its obviously not fitting right so I would look also at the Rad or you can use K Seal to seal.
Im gonna pull the mesh out anyway, its kinda sticking out as it is and I didnt see it there before, so maybe its moved from somewhere else, but it looks like its blocking the hole just behind the adjuster screw. And BMW mechanic said hes never hear of or seen a 'mesh' before at the point behind the adjuster screw.

I also explained to him that I feel the o-ring on the screw may be too thin because it was too easy for me to push it in place, but the old ones took a little forse. But I think I will give K Seal a go too. I used it on my old Audi A4 and it worked quite well, but it did clock up a small hose a little, but I was abel to clean it out and the cooling system was fine with no leaks.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #2426
dropbop

The leak seems to have calmed down now. Checked the water level, only took about under 1/4 litre. Brought it for a spin - no overheating, when I got back I let it run for a while outside the house - no overheating and only a few drops of water on the ground. I think I will leave it alone and just plonk some K Seal into it. Im afraid if I mess with it any more I will cause it to leak like was was before.

When I have time (no kids, a day off work (if that ever happens!) and no jobs from the missus lol) I will fill up the boot with bottles of water and take her for a 20 or 30 mile spin and see how she does.

Last edited by dropbop; 07-30-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #2427
Shaun1970

Quote:
The leak seems to have calmed down now. Checked the water level, only took about under 1/4 litre. Brought it for a spin - no overheating, when I got back I let it run for a while outside the house - no overheating and only a few drops of water on the ground. I think I will leave it alone and just plonk some K Seal into it. Im afraid if I mess with it any more I will cause it to leak like was was before.

When I have time (no kids, a day off work (if that ever happens!) and no jobs from the missus lol) I will fill up the boot with bottles of water and take her for a 20 or 30 mile spin and see how she does.
So its running ok now then mate? Phew huh!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #2428
dropbop

Quote:
So its running ok now then mate? Phew huh!
I wish it was. Still overheating and just gave me either second or third degree burns on my rist and hand. .. ouch!

I thought it was cool enough to open the cap. ... I might have been wrong about that lol.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1375270611452.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	519379  

Old 07-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #2429
dropbop

Nusry said it would get worse before it gets better... she wasnt kiddin around!!

Last edited by dropbop; 07-31-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #2430
Jimbow

My Ride: E46 bmw
Wow drop that's bad. Hope you get it sorted soon mate and can enjoy the car
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #2431
Jimbow

New shockers have been delivered so all being well should be fitting them this weekend
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #2432
dropbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
Wow drop that's bad. Hope you get it sorted soon mate and can enjoy the car
Me too Jimbow but at the moment I feel like its a lost cause, every time I fix something, something else just goes wrong. If I had the money I would just send it into the garage and tell them to fix everything.

Right now I woul dbe happy if I could just drive it without having to worry if I will be stuck at the side of the road somewhere. I dont want to bring my kids in it in case they end up stuck with me. The whole point of getting this car was to have a bigger more comfortable car for going up and down to Dublin in, or any other longer journeys and leave the dinky car (fiesta) at home. But I can even get down the road in it lol... I'm hoping I don't have to call it a day on her.

I poured a bottle of some rad sealer today, forget the name of it (nobody had any Kseal in stock), but its supposed to be pretty dam good at sealing larger holes in the cooling system. The bottle said 'For professional use only, not for resale', and the place I got it from said its used by some garages when all else fails. Well, all else has failed haha!!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #2433
dropbop

Quote:
New shockers have been delivered so all being well should be fitting them this weekend
Nice one!! Shes coming along nicely.. whats next on the list Jim?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #2434
Jimbow

Don't give up on it mate you'll get there. I know they can be bloody pain but it'll be worth it once it's sorted, what's next on mine mostly service work try and keep on top of everything really mate
Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #2435
dropbop

Quote:
Don't give up on it mate you'll get there. I know they can be bloody pain but it'll be worth it once it's sorted, what's next on mine mostly service work try and keep on top of everything really mate
"bloody Pain" are the keywords here hahah..Its taken 'blood' and caused 'pain'... lol

Old 07-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #2436
Jimbow

Yeah I know lol. But once there running right it's worth all the screaming,shouting,anger and frustration
Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #2437
Shaun1970

Quote:
Nusry said it would get worse before it gets better... she wasnt kiddin around!!
Wow Drop that looks nasty!!!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #2438
dropbop

Quote:
Wow Drop that looks nasty!!!!!
Its worse now. Had a peek under the bandage. Cant wait to get a few pic in the doctors tomorrow lol

Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #2439
Shaun1970

Quote:
Its worse now. Had a peek under the bandage. Cant wait to get a few pic in the doctors tomorrow lol

What made you open that while hot lol!!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #2440
dropbop

Quote:
What made you open that while hot lol!!
It was cooling for a good while before I opened it. Was no sign of pressure from the cap so kept turning.... then out of nowhere the cap flew off and a volcano of boiling hot water power-hosed my hand and arm lol.