E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #2461
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbop View Post
Right, if this stuff doesn't work nothing will. .. the guy in the motor factors showed me a demo of this stuff..

He kneeded a piece of it.. let it sit for about 30 then let me hit it with a hammer. . Not even a scratch on it. The coin he embedded in it got bent when I hit it.. but the putty (now like a steel stone) wasnt phased one bit...

Im optimistic about this stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app
Thatwillstop the water flow nicely lol
Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #2462
dropbop

My Ride: 318i
Re: 318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post
Thatwillstop the water flow nicely lol
I have to water draining since this morning so should be nice and dry around the adjuster screw soon.

Only thing I can see happening that will stop this from working is I end up breaking the adjuster screw while trying to squeez this putty in the gap between it and the radiator. ..

My First BMW - E46 318i 1999
dropbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #2463
Jimbow

My Ride: E46 bmw
Hope it work for you drop fingers crossed for you mate
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #2464
dropbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
Hope it work for you drop fingers crossed for you mate
I put the the putty on around 7pm. Leaving it overnight then gonna fill her up with water and take her for a drive and see how far I get.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #2465
dropbop

Well, that didnt go as planned lol.. still over heating, but took much longer to overheat than before so still a bit of air getting in there.

Was just pricing radiators there and think it might be safer bet to just go for a new one and not have to worry about it again at all.

Question: I am noticing in my searches that there are 2 different sizes for my car.. does it matter which size I get? One is 20mm thick and the other 34mm thick... They are both around the same price so make no differece to me which I get, just want to be sure I get the right one. Spoke to my buddy in the motor factors but hes doesn't do much parts for BMW and doesnt know off hand what the difference is so asking here hoping maybe one of you guys might know from changing a rad before.

FYI.. I am now on a deadline to make this car move.. Just been invited to bring my kids to my nephews 5th birthday party in Dublin on Sunday 18th... so thats my deadline to make this car work! eeeeeeeekk!!! I dont care if bits are falling off at this stage lol as long as it drives without over heating.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #2466
Jimbow

Drop that's defo a question for Shaun mate. Hope you get her running right soon
Old 08-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #2467
dropbop

Quote:
Cheer Jimbow.

I ran her there for about 30 minutes (about 5 minutes driving & rest idle) but not a leak in sight. The putty I put on yesterday is bone dry around that area so now Im even more confused, what else can make it overheat other than a water leak.

What about an oil leak, I know I have a small one somewhere (im sure I will find it one day) but its so small there is no visible loss of oil (actually the oil level is a little over the top mark on the dipstick)

Old 08-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #2468
dropbop

Quote:
Figured it out... with a/c is a thicker rad. So its the thicker one im after

Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #2469
Jimbow

It's a really hard one that drop, what have you changed and checked so far as to the over heating
Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #2470
dropbop

Quote:
It's a really hard one that drop, what have you changed and checked so far as to the over heating
The only thing I have changed on the cooling system so far is the expansion tank and the adjuster screw. The new adjuster screws would not fit rights ( i tried 3 in the end) so I used a putty to fill the area around the adjuster screw, making sure I pushed it in to any gaps and that seems to have stopped the leak (new rad being ordered so don't really care about screwing up the one that's on it) yet she is still over heating.

I did notice something tho (as I do lol), when I turn off the engine I can hear 'bubbles' (like a boiling kettle) in the engine... I presume this it the air rushing to the top after the engine is stopped. But I heed to find where this air is getting in.

All the hose ends look dry, I cant see any sign of leaks from them at all.

I have bled the system with engine both off and on (just to be sure no air is still circulating inside).

This might sound a bit crazy, but could it be that its not actually overheating and just a screwed up sensor, or maybe air passing over the sensor making it thing the car is hotter than it actually is because when I stop the car, within ten minutes of the engine off, its back to normal temps (needle straight up), that seems a bit quick to me.

Last edited by dropbop; 08-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #2471
Jimbow

By the sound of it mate I'd change the temp sensor first. And go from there like you said if it's over heating then a few mins later it's normal temp that's not right, there not that expensive either to change

The other thing to test possibly is the thermostat make sure it's opening at the right temp too.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #2472
dropbop

Quote:
By the sound of it mate I'd change the temp sensor first. And go from there like you said if it's over heating then a few mins later it's normal temp that's not right, there not that expensive either to change

The other thing to test possibly is the thermostat make sure it's opening at the right temp too.
How do I test that.. is there a way to tell if its opening or not?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #2473
Dave71

hi guys, sorry to see your still having overheating problems drop, first thing i would do is pull the thermostat if possible remove the thermostat from the housing and replace it without it in there if you can ? see what happens, apart from taking longer to warm up, ive read back through the overheating story and you mentioned the dash wont display the temp through the hidden menus pity see if you can borrow a laser thermometer point it at the pipes as it warms up and see where its heating up first and maybe where it aint (airlock) pity your so far away i would call and have alook , stuck at home after an op for a few weeks nothing major, but bored stupid at home
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #2474
Dave71

most basic way of testing a thermostat and the water flow is touching the pipes leading to the rad top and bottom, feeling the temp and seeing if the thermostat is letting the coolant flow freely ?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #2475
Jayp07

My Ride: E46 3.18i, E30 3.20i
Your over heating sounds like a real pain... I haven't gone back and read all of your posts but in the pursuit of plugging all coolant leaks I've recently changed my Final stage resistor(which was keeping the battery on and messing with the heater temp), thermostat, the plastic hose connector at the back of the block and today the water pump gasket as thats leaking too. The problem was that one leak would cover another. Due to a small tray under the engine at the back I never saw puddles of water under the car although I was having to fill up coolant every 2/3 weeks. Even with all these leaks I never saw the temp needle go past half way. The only time this did happen was when I had a faulty water pump, changed it and its never happened again.

side note:
DIY refurb of my new 44's and finally stuck them on... so much better than the standard alloy

Jayp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #2476
dropbop

Hey dave, sorry to hear your stuck at home.. my car gave me an op last week (2nd and 3rd degree burns) lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave71 View Post
sorry to see your still having overheating problems drop, first thing i would do is pull the thermostat if possible remove the thermostat from the housing and replace it without it in there if you can
Im gonna pop down to the local breakers yard and see if they have one, will use it to test. If it is the thermostat thats causing problems, ill buy a new one.

Quote:
ive read back through the overheating story and you mentioned the dash wont display the temp through the hidden menus pity
Yeah, the dash buttons dont work at all, cant even reset the mileage back to zero or change the time But thats a job for another day.

Was going to buy a cheap code reader instead... found this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Di...productDetails

And This

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
(Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) for Android)

It looks pretty dam good for little money, might save me a lot of trouble on finding most of my cars issues (Watch the video.. this looks dam good!)

Actually... I think every driver should have this (especially if their dash lights up like a xmas tree like mine haha)

What I love about it is you can set alarms for different things.... so an oul overheating alarm would be first thing I would set!! lol

Last edited by dropbop; 08-06-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #2477
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbop View Post
Hey dave, sorry to hear your stuck at home.. my car gave me an op last week (2nd and 3rd degree burns) lol

Im gonna pop down to the local breakers yard and see if they have one, will use it to test. If it is the thermostat thats causing problems, ill buy a new one.

Yeah, the dash buttons dont work at all, cant even reset the mileage back to zero or change the time But thats a job for another day.

Was going to buy a cheap code reader instead... found this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Di...productDetails

And This

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
(Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) for Android)

It looks pretty dam good for little money, might save me a lot of trouble on finding most of my cars issues (Watch the video.. this looks dam good!)

Actually... I think every driver should have this (especially if their dash lights up like a xmas tree like mine haha)

What I love about it is you can set alarms for different things.... so an oul overheating alarm would be first thing I would set!! lol
Drop, before even buying a second hand therm you can test your therm in water, if water hot enough it should open, i know only a few euros for 2nd hand but save it for other stuff that may be required. Like Jim has also said for the sake of 10 a new temp sensor also as this could also be reading wrong and you may not actually be over heating! Check also your oil make sure not milky with all this "Overheating" as thats will be HG as i am sure you know! Hopefully you will get it sorted though mate.

Last edited by Shaun1970; 08-06-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #2478
Dave71

Yeah thermostat would be the best place to start, back to basics and work up from there, if you can get your hands on a laser thermometer it will help also you can see whats hot and whats not, its a handy tool, i use 1 all the time working on bikes and cars on the exhaust manifold and downpipes to see what plug is misfiring, and good for cooling systems for air locks and for seeing when the thermostat opens up, ive seen these Bluetooth OBD plugs but haven't needed it till now but im defiantly tempted to get 1 , i drove around yesterday displaying my engine temp on my dash to see what im getting to, max was 94c and from what ive read that's about right , ive got a dash prob but nothing that worry's me , i cant reset the service mileage its said -8075 since ive had the car it wont reset or anything but i know the mileage when i serviced it so i just ignore it
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #2479
dropbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post
Drop, before even buying a second hand therm you can test your therm in water, if water hot enough it should open, i know only a few euros for 2nd hand but save it for other stuff that may be required. Like Jim has also said for the sake of 10 a new temp sensor also as this could also be reading wrong and you may not actually be over heating! Check also your oil make sure not milky with all this "Overheating" as thats will be HG as i am sure you know! Hopefully you will get it sorted though mate.
Had a look at oil cap and inside the hole, looks ok, no whiteness or foaming that I can see. I would have presumed with the amount of times its over heated now that HG would have taken a beating, which is one of the reasons I also think its not actually over heating. When I say over heating, its gone right into the red very quickly.. The needle moves up to the 2/3 line stays there for about 20 seconds then pushes up to the red. At this point I have pulled in and shut it down, but if I turn the key to check the temp its all the way in the red and ten minuted later its back to normal and I can drive off.

Ive had many cars overheat on me, and when they do water/steam will come out under pressure from anywhere there is a leak, im not getting that from the BMW. The most I was getting was the little drip from the adjuster screw, but thats not happening anymore since I permanently sealed it with the putty.

I have bought the OBD2 blutooth thing and an android app to go with it, so hopefully that will give me a few more clues as to whats going on. With any luck it will be here by friday.

Had to buy this one because it was the only one on amazon that had delivery to ireland http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_os_product

If I get a chance in the mean time, I will pull off the thermo and test it. Have to be careful about getting this bandage wet tho.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #2480
dropbop

Ok, looks like it may be the thermostat. . Quick video...