E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #2541
dropbop

My Ride: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave71 View Post
The more that water can flow the better I would have thought I'm sure I've read somewhere there is a way to bleed the system to eliminate air from it to cool it's best

Sent from my LT26i using BimmerApp mobile app
What Ive been reading is mixed thoughts on filling with the engine on and 'pumping the air out'.

After thinking about something said earlier and putting 2 + 2 together, im wondering if the air is getting trapped in the back radiator.
What I was saying in an previous post, since I took out the spring from the thermo the air in the cabin goes from hot to cold to hot to cold etc, so now im thinking air might be getting trapped somewhere in that area.

I think I will flush the water tomorrow and refill with the engine running and see if that makes a difference. Im not actually taking the car to Dublin now, gonna used the missus' dinky car (fiesta) to be on the safe side but still want to be able to do more in my car than go to the shop lol.

My First BMW - E46 318i 1999
dropbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #2542
dropbop

Everyone must be on holidays lol..

Just an update on my progress so far..

I put in new spark plugs today. The misfire on #3 was definitly a bad plug, but now I think their might be a bigger issue because there was oil all over the plug (i'll post a pic shortly).

Picking up later today:
Plug leads, water pump & belts.

Im not interiorly convinced the thermostat is the issue with overheating, since I removed the thermostat from the housing its still overheating, not as quick, but still doing it either way. So gonna change the water pump because im sure that's on it way out like everything else on this badly maintained car.

The oil on the plug is a bit worrying but im hoping its just something like seals or something. I did a few searches but like everything else, there is mixed views, some say Vanos some say seals, others say replace the engine (don't think I will be doing that one haha).

Any ideas??

Cheers

Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #2543
dropbop

Re: 318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1376911159007.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	522516  

Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #2544
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbop View Post
Everyone must be on holidays lol..

Just an update on my progress so far..

I put in new spark plugs today. The misfire on #3 was definitly a bad plug, but now I think their might be a bigger issue because there was oil all over the plug (i'll post a pic shortly).

Picking up later today:
Plug leads, water pump & belts.

Im not interiorly convinced the thermostat is the issue with overheating, since I removed the thermostat from the housing its still overheating, not as quick, but still doing it either way. So gonna change the water pump because im sure that's on it way out like everything else on this badly maintained car.

The oil on the plug is a bit worrying but im hoping its just something like seals or something. I did a few searches but like everything else, there is mixed views, some say Vanos some say seals, others say replace the engine (don't think I will be doing that one haha).

Any ideas??

Cheers
Hi Guys, its been a while, so just done a quick flick through to catch up

Drop on your oil on plug issue, it wont be Vanos our M43's doesn't have it! so that's ruled that out. Now i remember having this issue with a old car, i had replaced Valve Cover Gasket (or rocker gasket which ever you like to call it) and O Rings around the plug cavities and this resolved the issue, it's DIYable and about and 60-90 mins mate. I can't see it requiring new engine! The cheapest route would be to do VCG and O Rings. Then check the Spark plug housing which you know had the leak a couple of weeks later to make sure its not oiled.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #2545
dropbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post
Hi Guys, its been a while, so just done a quick flick through to catch up

Drop on your oil on plug issue, it wont be Vanos our M43's doesn't have it! so that's ruled that out. Now i remember having this issue with a old car, i had replaced Valve Cover Gasket (or rocker gasket which ever you like to call it) and O Rings around the plug cavities and this resolved the issue, it's DIYable and about and 60-90 mins mate. I can't see it requiring new engine! The cheapest route would be to do VCG and O Rings. Then check the Spark plug housing which you know had the leak a couple of weeks later to make sure its not oiled.
Hey Shaun, hows tricks?

Well thankfully its just a diy job, me likes getting dirty under the bonnet Ill have a crack at that next week maybe.

Today its water pump day, just picked up a new one so gonna pop that in later and also retest my thermostat. I dont think I had the pot hot enough the last time. My new diagnostic thing says it opens at 105c. Im sure I didn't boil the pot hot enough to get 105.

What im thinking is the water pump may be the type with the plastic fan and have read alot about those deteriorate and the blades break so the water is not getting pushed around as good. So I would presume if the water is not flowing properly then air is not getting pushed out thus over heating.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #2546
Jayp07

My Ride: E46 3.18i, E30 3.20i
Like you've said it could be that the plastic impeller has failed in the pump... I checked mine last week as i have a leak and I found whoever changed it last put a metal one in there. The problem I'm getting is trying to get a good seal, ive changed the O-ring but its still leaking a little
Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #2547
dropbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayp07 View Post
Like you've said it could be that the plastic impeller has failed in the pump... I checked mine last week as i have a leak and I found whoever changed it last put a metal one in there. The problem I'm getting is trying to get a good seal, ive changed the O-ring but its still leaking a little
A little gasket sealer on the pump where it presses against the engine might sort that. There could be a little dirt stopping ir from sealing properly. Although the leaflet I got with mine says the oring will seal it, im probably going to put a small amount of gasket sealer on the flat surfaces anyway.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #2548
Jayp07

Quote:
A little gasket sealer on the pump where it presses against the engine might sort that. There could be a little dirt stopping ir from sealing properly. Although the leaflet I got with mine says the oring will seal it, im probably going to put a small amount of gasket sealer on the flat surfaces anyway.

When I put it back the first time I noticed that besides the o-ring seal there wasn't much of a flat face surface area to make a seal so i did put gasket sealant on there... going to take it out and try again...
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #2549
dropbop

Quote:
When I put it back the first time I noticed that besides the o-ring seal there wasn't much of a flat face surface area to make a seal so i did put gasket sealant on there... going to take it out and try again...
I just changed mine and made a balls of it. One of the bolts didn't go in right and seems to have made a new thread on the engine lol... 3 seems to be holding it just fine

The old pump looked a bit mangled looking on the inside. Was a lot of crap built up on parts of it. Probably would have needed to be changed soon anyway.

Last edited by dropbop; 08-20-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #2550
dropbop

Quote:
Like you've said it could be that the plastic impeller has failed in the pump...
Was a metal one.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #2551
Jayp07

Quote:
Was a metal one.

My bolts felt dodgy too on the way out but that was mainly due to some rust at the bottoms. I nearly screwed up the thread as I used one of the bolts a the jacking bolt but it was fine in the end. I took the pump out again today and put a lot more sealant this time as i could see it had leaked from the bottom. If this fails I'll get a new pump ...
Old 08-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #2552
dropbop

I've given up on the cooling system. My mech is coming to pick it up on monday to put it up on ramps and get to the bottom of it.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #2553
Shaun1970

Quote:
I've given up on the cooling system. My mech is coming to pick it up on monday to put it up on ramps and get to the bottom of it.

Hope it gets sorted drop!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #2554
dropbop

hmmm, didnt think it would be so cheap to replace the whole panel.

Dont think I will be bothering to get rid of the rust on the on the wheel arche..

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetai...90084&pk=EF7A9

Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #2555
Shaun1970

Quote:
hmmm, didnt think it would be so cheap to replace the whole panel.

Dont think I will be bothering to get rid of the rust on the on the wheel arche..

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetai...90084&pk=EF7A9
I mentioned new wings where cheap 1000 posts ago lol :p
Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #2556
dropbop

Quote:
I mentioned new wings where cheap 1000 posts ago lol :p
Haha.. memory of a fish here..

Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #2557
dropbop

hmmmm, when I put it like this it kinda makes me even more determined to bring her back to life!!

This is a list of what I want my mech to look at. We are going to make a project of it and work on it between us over the next 2 or so months.

Im sure we will find a few more bits not in the list, but have a gander anyway.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/BMW-318i.txt

Last edited by dropbop; 08-22-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #2558
Shaun1970

Quote:
hmmmm, when I put it like this it kinda makes me even more determined to bring her back to life!!

This is a list of what I want my mech to look at. We are going to make a project of it and work on it between us over the next 2 or so months.

Im sure we will find a few more bits not in the list, but have a gander anyway.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/BMW-318i.txt
That is some list mate lol
Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #2559
dropbop

Quote:
That is some list mate lol
Might need to add vacuum leak to it. Some high pitch hissing from the engine.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #2560
dropbop

Anyone know what this hose is?

Trying to find a part number for it.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails