E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
Hektik

My Ride: BMW 318ci
Jim - I see you got the hang of the pic uploads, looking nice mate love the angels and the dials look v nice Must admit when you said about the LED gearknob I thought it would look a bit chavvy but that also looks mint and like how youve done it red to match the dial lights etc good stuff, well done and keep it coming.

Yeh as Shuan says go say hi in UK meets thread its like me and Shaun are dancing on there and then once a few more get on it we'll all be raving it up!!

Shaun - yeh I hear ya, anything but rain!!! I use just a cheapo wash n wax stuff, t-cut clolorfast dark blue and Ive got turtlewax clearcoat for the wax to protect it.

...and, fetched them rear clusters today, they look mint but the bootlid parts (red part) looks darker as do my current ones - but they aint falling apart tho!!! I gonna see if theres a way of cleaning them (thread search!!) before hopefully installing tomorrow weather permitting
Old 05-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
fetched them rear clusters today, they look mint but the bootlid parts (red part) looks darker as do my current ones - but they aint falling apart tho!!! I gonna see if there's a way of cleaning them (thread search!!) before hopefully installing tomorrow weather permitting
Do you need to replace the boot lid ones mate? I looked at some then looked at mine and they pretty identical, should only need to replace the LH/RH outer! When we have car love day use some of my Autoglym mate lol
Old 05-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #43
Hektik

on both my current bootlid lights they look a darker dingy red and are dirty instide (as coming apart), the ones Ive bought today as say the actual lights are beautiful condition nbut the boodlid reverses are also dull and I can (being as they are yet to be installed) see inside alot of dirt etc. I dont think theres a way of cleaning it all other than taking it apart and re-guing so short answer, put them bootlid replacemnts on for now (least these ones arent coming apart) but will have to order new reverse lenses as it bugs me!!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
Shaun1970

Wonder if there is a "Cleaning Spray" without having to break the sealed unit! to clean them and prob de-dull the reverse lenses! Look forward to seeing the non ambers any way mate
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #45
benzedid

My Ride: 2001 BMW E46 318i
Send a message via Skype™ to benzedid
318i with M43B19 engine check in from Mauritius. I didn't read all your posts in this thread but just want to let you know that I'm among the few 318i owners on E46fanatics

benzedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #46
Shaun1970

Mate
Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #47
Hektik

hey Benzedid welcome to club 318!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #48
Hektik

Shuan

I was right only way to do it is take em apart, best thing is...shockingly I managed to find this...

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/4...lust-makeover/

see the gunk that gets in there its a design flaw apparently (are urs duller lookin than ur rear lights?) ...seals are crap round those reverse/fog lights n it lets water n grime etc in. Best thing is, even if its raining... I can quik tek out them reverses n put new (also dull ones in) and then clean them / diy re-seal and its an indoors mission...swap em back over and hopefully make a gooden outa them!! gotta get onit tomoz and get some pics up!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #49
Shaun1970

That's a good DIY to follow mate, umm not sure mine are dull ill try get a pic up over weekend of the rear end, will prob be Sunday! Handy to have second set tho for you, least can be cleaned and given time to seal before having to fit cos its chucking it down huh.

Have a good clean / fitting day tomorrow and Christening Sunday mate, sure will catch you soon!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #50
Hektik

Managed to get the clear rears in this weekend, did the boot reverse lights (diy'd it, took it all apart, cleaning forever it was so mouldy inside - worst thing is all the silver paint had corroded off) all in all turned out well tho, n I still have the newer (also mucky but bit better lookin than my orginals were) bootlights to have a go at, and iv now had one decent go so....

Well heres the few pics....

The old....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130329-01066.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	506361

Bootlight progress

Name:	IMG-20130518-01137.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	506362

The new...

Name:	IMG-20130519-01153.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	506363

Name:	IMG-20130519-01155.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	506364

Happy with it now for next weekend payday and those sides and front ones
Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #51
Shaun1970

Look good mate , did it take you long? Chrome bulbs too I been searching for rears but not found any worth looking at yet! Ordering the fronts and sides this week tho and go from there.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #52
jiminblack1464

My Ride: E46 318 se
Hi Dude

Love the rear lights looking good
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	506382  
jiminblack1464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #53
Hektik

Thanks guys, I'm well happy with it. Yeh the bootlight cleaning took about 3 hours in all but very happy with the results (cant wait to do the others next weekend as they look like the silver paint inside in in better nick and I should hope to improve the look further). The clusters were a doddle 20mins odd, they aint silver bulbs tho, they illegal right now!! They just white bulbs that were in my ambers but obv shone amber through the amber light!! so still need new silver rear bulbs (didnt want to put the orange bulbs in from new lights tho, as they were shedding orange sh!t into the cluster looked like scrambled egg! had to pick bits out with ma finger n thought.... they are not going back in there!!)

Shaun did you order the blacky fronts and ultra clear sides then?? As for the rears why not do what I did and order some 2nd hand gumtree/ebay??

Last edited by Hektik; 05-20-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Hektik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #54
Shaun1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektik View Post
They just white bulbs that were in my ambers but obv shone amber through the amber light!! so still need new silver rear bulbs (didnt want to put the orange bulbs in from new lights tho, as they were shedding orange sh!t into the cluster looked like scrambled egg! had to pick bits out with ma finger n thought.... they are not going back in there!!)
Ah so you getting chrome ones then mate? eBay do them cheap 2 for a couple of quid!

Quote:
Shaun did you order the blacky fronts and ultra clear sides then?? As for the rears why not do what I did and order some 2nd hand gumtree/ebay??
I'm ordering the Crystal Clear ones for front on Wednesday to be here Friday mate, have family here tomorrow / wed then car in garage Thursday for hand brake shoes and Arm, so Friday only day free for car stuff this week I been looking on eBay and Gum tree but what is annoying is I have found them, but they sell them singular and I could buy them new for cheaper than they selling them lol robbing buggers Will get there eventually tho
Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #55
Shaun1970

Just found some, waiting on a reply now Its only in Doncaster and im 15miles from there so easy enough!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Seri...item460f893f20
Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #56
Hektik

Yeh I noticed people like to split em and get more s, see what i meant about 40 plus bootlights was a bargain really. Hope you win the bid mate and car reapirs go well, patience will pay dividends in this case (re the rear lights). Yeh gonna order my silver bulbs along with the sides n fronts this Friday when paid.

And yes, family ay - love em to bits but its like...I love ya, but pleeeeease bogger off so I can work on my car!!! LOL
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #57
Hektik

Oh yeh, I've seen another DIY I wanna do that should be cheap n cheerful....

I see alot of folk like the black kidney grills, some prefer chrome standard. I'm not sure on either of these... Best I've seen is colour coded. So one day soon, I'm gonna whip off them chrome grills, sand em down fully, prep and then respray topaz blue with clearcoat...

Heres the kind of look it will be (this beamer aint topaz blue tho but u get the jist) I think it looks sooo flushed and 'right'

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/uploads...390_319678.jpg

What you reckon
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #58
Shaun1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektik View Post
Yeh I noticed people like to split em and get more s, see what i meant about 40 plus bootlights was a bargain really. Hope you win the bid mate and car reapirs go well, patience will pay dividends in this case (re the rear lights). Yeh gonna order my silver bulbs along with the sides n fronts this Friday when paid.

And yes, family ay - love em to bits but its like...I love ya, but pleeeeease bogger off so I can work on my car!!! LOL
Buy now 29.99 but 10 for delivery lol, so im going over in morning to get them! and front ones

Yes this week a nightmare, dad here Tuesday - Thursday Morn, then me at garage and Friday evening my son here till the following Tuesday and we modding his car, or blowing it up one or other!

Quote:
Heres the kind of look it will be (this beamer aint topaz blue tho but u get the jist) I think it looks sooo flushed and 'right'
That looks smart, never noticed it on a BM before! I doubt ill do it my paint a pain to buy, but I may do them Matt Black! I am de-trimming next week (exterior) and respraying Matt Black when son gone!

This is the place I found today http://www.onlineautocomponents.co.u...ort=20a&page=1

Last edited by Shaun1970; 05-20-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #59
Shaun1970

Angel Eyes

New pic of Angel Eyes, they look better today and Ian the other pic is indicators I just got Crystal/Clear black and got some crystal clear rear clusters this morning and the price well I am well happy, got discount lol 40 for the lot!

Last edited by Shaun1970; 06-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #60
Hektik

Brilliant Shaun and deffo a super bargain!! get em on there and lets have a look mate!!