E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #1421
Paul_UK_E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Posts: 239
My Ride: BMW 318i SE E46
318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post
I would take pipe back for exchange Paul with the part number off the old one!
But the part number for the hose doesn't match the realoem part no. But if you google it does. I think that number is for the hose because the plastic connections on either end have separate no's but their not detachable?!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Paul_UK_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #1422
Jimbow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 589
My Ride: E46 bmw
It has lost quite a bit of coolant, will using tap water to check it be ok and then drain & refill with water/coolant mix?[/QUOTE]

Mines just had a coolant change after 7 months of just water and very little coolant so you should be fine mate
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #1423
Paul_UK_E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Posts: 239
My Ride: BMW 318i SE E46
318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Well water is better than nothing!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Paul_UK_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #1424
Paul_UK_E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Posts: 239
My Ride: BMW 318i SE E46
318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Shaun although I couldn't replace that hose, I replaced that temp sensor. Complete flush and decided to do 50/50 as I still had water in the engine block. Same temp readings, went up to 108C before settling on its usual 102C. I need some other owners to test there's, come on Ian!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Paul_UK_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #1425
andyos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Teeside
Posts: 163
My Ride: 318i
Hi New to this site, own a 318i which has been highly modified, currently up 4 sale if anyone is interested?

Full wrap in matte grey
Black alloys
Gloss black roof mirrors n spoiler
M3 front bumper
Lowered
Full exhaust system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130216_165849.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	514969  
andyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #1426
Paul_UK_E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cheltenham, UK
Posts: 239
My Ride: BMW 318i SE E46
318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyos View Post
Hi New to this site, own a 318i which has been highly modified, currently up 4 sale if anyone is interested?

Full wrap in matte grey
Black alloys
Gloss black roof mirrors n spoiler
M3 front bumper
Lowered
Full exhaust system
Not my bag but good luck selling it.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Paul_UK_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #1427
andyos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Teeside
Posts: 163
My Ride: 318i
Thanks
Sadly it will have to go - 2 Kids a house and caravan lol no time for the car anymore
andyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #1428
dropbop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athlone, Ireland
Posts: 434
My Ride: 318i
I will definitely check it out to make sure, I haven't had the car up high enough yet to do a full check, but from what I could see, it was coming from the blue cap.. Hopefully its nothing too serious.

Sure, here she is ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my318.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	514982  
dropbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #1429
dropbop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athlone, Ireland
Posts: 434
My Ride: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_UK_E46 View Post
Well water is better than nothing!
True that
dropbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #1430
Shaun1970
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,228
My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_UK_E46 View Post
Shaun although I couldn't replace that hose, I replaced that temp sensor. Complete flush and decided to do 50/50 as I still had water in the engine block. Same temp readings, went up to 108C before settling on its usual 102C. I need some other owners to test there's, come on Ian!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah would be good to get a definitive, it may even be mine! But speakingto a mech and my dad an ex engineer mine seems right, the main thing though Paulis your not overheating mate, although its frustrating you.
__________________
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #1431
Shaun1970
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,228
My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
I'm probably just under half a litre that needs go back I think mate. And no you were great thanks for the help again Shaun
No prob mate anytime
__________________
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1432
Shaun1970
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,228
My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Hey Andy and Dropbob!

I was in your area for 5 years dropbob working in Roscommon! And on your cooling leak the guys have answered your queations, but 1 added thing from me if it s the blue scre leaking (bottom of Expansion Tank) that is replaceable on it's own without a new tank being needed.
__________________
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #1433
dropbop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athlone, Ireland
Posts: 434
My Ride: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post
I was in your area for 5 years dropbob working in Roscommon!
I love it here, moved here from Dublin 10 years ago and never looked back. Much better place to bring up a few rugrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970 View Post
And on your cooling leak the guys have answered your queations, but 1 added thing from me if it s the blue scre leaking (bottom of Expansion Tank) that is replaceable on it's own without a new tank being needed.
Im hoping its just the screw, or at worse, at loose hose. I have no idea if and when the car was last serviced. Only thing I know is all discs and pads, and rear suspension was changed a month ago by the last owner, who stopped driving it when the front left caliper seized (2 months after he bought it). Before that it was a woman with 2 kids in Portlaise with regular day to day use (school runs, shopping etc etc) but she never passed along the service log, I will check with BMW dealer to see if they have a record of it on the system.

One other thing in relation to this.. My fan kicks in very quick, even tho temp is normal, would I be right to presume this is only happening because of the low coolant level?

Last edited by dropbop; 07-06-2013 at 05:29 PM.
dropbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #1434
Jimbow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 589
My Ride: E46 bmw
One thing I have noticed since doing that flush lads is my heaters working a lot better. The heater on hot was warm but now it's much better
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #1435
Shaun1970
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,228
My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbop View Post
I love it here, moved here from Dublin 10 years ago and never looked back. Much better place to bring up a few rugrats.
I agree there, a friend who i used to travel with to Roscommon from UK weekly he moved out there, was abit to quiet for me tho!

Quote:
Im hoping its just the screw, or at worse, at loose hose. I have no idea if and when the car was last serviced. Only thing I know is all discs and pads, and rear suspension was changed a month ago by the last owner, who stopped driving it when the front left caliper seized (2 months after he bought it). Before that it was a woman with 2 kids in Portlaise with regular day to day use (school runs, shopping etc etc) but she never passed along the service log, I will check with BMW dealer to see if they have a record of it on the system.
Fingers crossed it is only the bleed screw, but hoses and expansion tank are not to badly prized if needed. For peace of mine it may be worth throwing it in for a service and doing any preventative maintanance.

Quote:
One other thing in relation to this.. My fan kicks in very quick, even tho temp is normal, would I be right to presume this is only happening because of the low coolant level?
If you have your Aircon on the fan will kick in a lot quicker, this is nothing to worry about
__________________
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #1436
Shaun1970
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,228
My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
One thing I have noticed since doing that flush lads is my heaters working a lot better. The heater on hot was warm but now it's much better
I think its the bleed done the correct way Jim , i had same warm air on say 23c setting and re-bled and now with heat on its like a sauna! It's that 32 and low fan to get to the heater core which is the bugger!! When I changed all my cooling it was at my friends garage to use his ramp and he shoved fan speed high when filling so i think that gave me a little airlock. But main thing is you now have coolant lol
__________________
Shaun1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #1437
Jimbow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 589
My Ride: E46 bmw
Can we please please please have no more talk of coolant now. Lol
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #1438
dropbop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athlone, Ireland
Posts: 434
My Ride: 318i
Re: 318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
Can we please please please have no more talk of coolant now. Lol
Ill do my best lol

I think I got all the info I need for now anyway, thanks guys

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

My First BMW - E46 318i 1999

Last edited by dropbop; 07-07-2013 at 04:17 AM.
dropbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #1439
dropbop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athlone, Ireland
Posts: 434
My Ride: 318i
Re: 318 Owners - Get In Here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1970
For peace of mine it may be worth throwing it in for a service and doing any preventative maintanance.
Yeah, definitely going to be doing some preventative maintenance on her. And a service is also on the cards. I work 12 to 14 hours a day, and got 2 kids, but I'm sure i will fit the car in somewhere. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

My First BMW - E46 318i 1999
dropbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #1440
dropbop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athlone, Ireland
Posts: 434
My Ride: 318i
Ok, got a pic of the leak.. so its not the blue cap?

I could not see the side of the tank (thats where it looks like its coming from), but I am not thinking it could be a crack in the wall of the take itself, I don't suppose duck-tape wrapped around the tank will sort this until I get a new tank or would the pressure be too much for it?



Last edited by dropbop; 07-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.
dropbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use