E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Azn328i

My Ride: e39 M5
Send a message via AIM to Azn328i
Fractured Fibula

I broke my ankle almost three weeks ago playing basketball. It was diagnosed as a fractured distal fibula with displacement. I had to get surgery about a week after the break to realign my ankle bones which consisted of sutures holding the bones together rather than screws.

I was told by the orthopedist that I would be going in in two weeks (next Tuesday) to get a walking boot on and that I could start applying pressure, but not full weight on the foot. I was also told the total recovery time would be 6-8 weeks.

I've been eating food that's good for healing bones this entire time and not smoking/drinking. I have also been working out lightly during this time and have lost a lot of weight rather than gaining any. I kept my leg elevated all day for two weeks, one week before and one week after. I've since returned to work and still keep my leg elevated when I go to sleep.

I just want to get back on my feet and walking normally asap. Has anyone here ever fractured their fibula? What was your experience and how long did it take you to walk again?
Azn328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Azn328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
Placeholder for my snowmobile tibia/fibula break. I have a lot of cool pics and x-rays.

Don't rush it. I just got done with surgery where they had to cut and re-align bone. (3rd surgery)

I'll provide details when I get home tonight.
Ah crap, that doesn't sound fun. Thanks in advance for the story.

I'm definitely not looking to rush it, just looking for ways to speed up the recovery process in any way possible without future side effects. I do want to play basketball again.

I am okay with the 6-8 week timeline but would rather it be 6 weeks than 8. Something I neglected to ask my ortho was whether or not the 6-8 weeks was after the surgery or the actual break.

I have been having a pretty hard time with asking for help. I get anxious and depressed at times, and I know it's normal.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Broke my fibula this past February, no surgery and I am still not 100%. Went to the doctor yesterday and was given the OK to finally run on it, bone is fully healed but still needs some more rehab.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Azn328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Broke my fibula this past February, no surgery and I am still not 100%. Went to the doctor yesterday and was given the OK to finally run on it, bone is fully healed but still needs some more rehab.
How long did it take you to walk on it again? Did you have a limp?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn328i View Post
How long did it take you to walk on it again? Did you have a limp?
Being that I didn't have surgery I was able to walk on it right away with a boot. I was in the boot for about 5 weeks and I still have a slight limp as I am slowly rehabbing the muscles in my lower leg. My doctor said 3 months until I was 100%, but again I didn't have surgery.

Also I am 33, which may have slowed down the healing process for me.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Azn328i

Quote:
Being that I didn't have surgery I was able to walk on it right away with a boot. I was in the boot for about 5 weeks and I still have a slight limp as I am slowly rehabbing the muscles in my lower leg. My doctor said 3 months until I was 100%, but again I didn't have surgery.

Wow, you were walking on it right away without crutches?

I wonder if surgery helps speed up the walking process any. I know they also didn't need to refracture the bone to realign it, so I'm wondering if I would only need 3 more weeks (6 weeks since the break) to start walking without a boot.

Also, I'm 28.

Thanks!

Last edited by Azn328i; 05-10-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
bgsmith

Quote:
Wow, you were walking on it right away without crutches?

I wonder if surgery helps speed up the walking process any. I know they also didn't need to refracture the bone to realign it, so I'm wondering if I would only need 3 more weeks (6 weeks since the break) to start walking without a boot.

Also, I'm 28.

Thanks!
I was walking around on it for 4 days before I finally went to the doctor.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
I broke my ankle almost three weeks ago playing basketball. It was diagnosed as a fractured distal fibula with displacement. I had to get surgery about a week after the break to realign my ankle bones which consisted of sutures holding the bones together rather than screws.

I was told by the orthopedist that I would be going in in two weeks (next Tuesday) to get a walking boot on and that I could start applying pressure, but not full weight on the foot. I was also told the total recovery time would be 6-8 weeks.

I've been eating food that's good for healing bones this entire time and not smoking/drinking. I have also been working out lightly during this time and have lost a lot of weight rather than gaining any. I kept my leg elevated all day for two weeks, one week before and one week after. I've since returned to work and still keep my leg elevated when I go to sleep.

I just want to get back on my feet and walking normally asap. Has anyone here ever fractured their fibula? What was your experience and how long did it take you to walk again?

I had a fractured distal fibula last July, didn't really hurt (high pain tolerance)..in fact I walked on it and drove home with it broken thinking it was a sprain, ankle did a full 180 outward and created a new "joint" essentially next to where the tibia ends. Needless to say it was a son of a bitch trying to sleep, shower, move around with a cast on (I had them rip the hard cast off after 3 days due to pressure, that sh!t was painful) was in an air cast for 4 weeks, was able to walk around the house after 2 weeks or so. Crutches sucked ass.

It was a clean break and wasn't too displaced so no surgery, just had a 2mm gap between the bones. One thing that's weird is my skin is still dark/bruised around the break a year later and it's sensitive somewhat. I can run and everything I did before but it's never going to be the same...

I had to wear an ankle brace for a month or two and then only if I did sports, now I don't wear it. It took a while to get rid of the limp and regain confidence to fully put weight on that foot (running was hardest)

Ill have to get some pics of the brake and how it looked lol

///M

Last edited by Redline; 05-11-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I had a fractured distal fibula last July, didn't really hurt (high pain tolerance)..in fact I walked on it and drove home with it broken thinking it was a sprain, ankle did a full 180 outward and created a new "joint" essentially next to where the tibia ends. Needless to say it was a son of a bitch trying to sleep, shower, move around with a cast on (I had them rip the hard cast off after 3 days due to pressure, that sh!t was painful) was in an air cast for 4 weeks, was able to walk around the house after 2 weeks or so. Crutches sucked ass.

It was a clean break and wasn't too displaced so no surgery, just had a 2mm gap between the bones. One thing that's weird is my skin is still dark/bruised around the break a year later and it's sensitive somewhat. I can run and everything I did before but it's never going to be the same...

I had to wear an ankle brace for a month or two and then only if I did sports, now I don't wear it. It took a while to get rid of the limp and regain confidence to fully put weight on that foot (running was hardest)

Yeah I was in the same boat, didn't think it was serios at all. Broke mine snowboarding, even did a run on my broken ankle and walked around for a few days on it. It's not that serious of an injury but the recovery takes time due to the body's dependence in the ankle.

The key is to be patient during the rehab process.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Azn328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post

Wow, you only had an air cast on for 4 weeks before you were able to walk unassisted?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
buddy broke his tib/fib when we played football. helmet hit his leg. they had to rebreak it after a few weeks because it was set wrong. he said that was 100x's worse than the break.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Azn328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
buddy broke his tib/fib when we played football. helmet hit his leg. they had to rebreak it after a few weeks because it was set wrong. he said that was 100x's worse than the break.
Ouch, I am hoping mine was set correctly. How long was he out for?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
bgsmith

The fibula only supports about 5% of your body weight, breaking it isn't that big of a deal, like I said I snowboarded down a mountain on mine then walked/limped around on it for a few days before I went to the doctor.

Finally decided to get it checked out when it looked like this, warning pic is a little gross.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	505014  

Last edited by bgsmith; 05-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
^lol my foot turned every color of the rainbow essentially, was nasty as hell, my skin peeled off like crazy too. Like many layers. Was nasty.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
tinman831

My Ride: M3
Trying to get back into the game asap will prevent you from healing the fastest. Stay off of your foot for as much as you can. If it doesnt heal properly, you may end up walking with a limp for the rest of your life.
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Azn328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
Placeholder for my snowmobile tibia/fibula break. I have a lot of cool pics and x-rays.

Don't rush it. I just got done with surgery where they had to cut and re-align bone. (3rd surgery)

I'll provide details when I get home tonight.
Any updates on this?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Azn328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
Trying to get back into the game asap will prevent you from healing the fastest. Stay off of your foot for as much as you can. If it doesnt heal properly, you may end up walking with a limp for the rest of your life.
I'm just trying to get back to walking asap, not play basketball. I definitely plan on taking an extended break from basketball to get my ankle 100%. I definitely plan on following the exact instructions of the ortho. I am just really antsy in finding out when I should be back to walking again.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
Azn328i

Quote:

When you first started walking again, was the limp severe? Also, how long were you able to walk for?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Ouch, I am hoping mine was set correctly. How long was he out for?
it was season ending in the 2nd game of the year.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
Azn328i

Update from the ortho:

Healing really well, almost no swelling and virtually no bruising after getting my splint off. He said I don't really need a walking boot, to just not bear any weight on it for the next 4 weeks and I would be able to walk. I can start doing some PT to loosen up the ankle right now as well.