E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
IRS Admits to targeting conservative groups: Apologizes

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/irs-a...rvative-groups
Quote:
By: STEPHEN OHLEMACHER (AP)
WASHINGTONCopyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
38.8951-77.0364

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Internal Revenue Service inappropriately flagged conservative political groups for additional reviews during the 2012 election to see if they were violating their tax-exempt status, a top IRS official said Friday.

Organizations were singled out because they included the words "tea party" or "patriot" in their applications for tax-exempt status, said Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups.

In some cases, groups were asked for their list of donors, which violates IRS policy in most cases, she said.

"That was wrong. That was absolutely incorrect, it was insensitive and it was inappropriate. That's not how we go about selecting cases for further review," Lerner said at a conference sponsored by the American Bar Association.

"The IRS would like to apologize for that," she added.

Lerner said the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias. After her talk, she told The AP that no high level IRS officials knew about the practice.

Agency officials found out about the practice last year and moved to correct it, the IRS said in a statement. The statement did not specify when officials found out.

About 75 groups were inappropriately targeted. None had their tax-exempt status revoked, Lerner said.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky called on the White House to investigate.

"Today's acknowledgement by the Obama administration that the IRS did in fact target conservative groups in the heat of last year's national election is not enough," McConnell said. "I call on the White House to conduct a transparent, government-wide review aimed at assuring the American people that these thuggish practices are not under way at the IRS or elsewhere in the administration against anyone, regardless of their political views."

Many conservative groups complained during the election that they were being harassed by the IRS. They accused the agency of frustrating their attempts to become tax exempt by sending them lengthy, intrusive questionnaires.

The forms, which the groups made available at the time, sought information about group members' political activities, including details of their postings on social networking websites and about family members.
Can you stack the deck any further? Geez

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Totally reprehensible. However, 75 organizations impacted with a few extra forms and none of them lost their status. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
It is an outrage and needs to be investigated. That behaviour is not acceptable. It wasn't acceptable when Nixon's administration did it either. But, I didn't see conservatives up in arms over that one....funny that.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
If anybody deserves an ass-fvcking from the IRS, it's teabaggers.

They're already taking it from the corporatists that co-opted the movement, so why not?

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
If anybody deserves an ass-fvcking from the IRS, it's teabaggers.

They're already taking it from the corporatists that co-opted the movement, so why not?
The context of your words conveys misery. May I suggest taking a vacation sometime shortly in your future?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Very troubling. While I can understand some level of scrutiny to assure that groups registering as political groups or as charitable groups are just that, it can be a very fine line between due diligence and undue political intimidation, even if at just the perceptual and/or unintentional levels. I haven't seen any evidence of overt political intent yet, but that does need to be investigated VERY closely and there should be a zero-tolerance level and severe repurcussions if any is found.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Totally reprehensible. However, 75 organizations impacted with a few extra forms and none of them lost their status. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?
If they've got nothing to hide, they shouldn't worry, right?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
The context of your words conveys misery. May I suggest taking a vacation sometime shortly in your future?
That's a great idea. Send me a check and I'll leave next weekend.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
If they've got nothing to hide, they shouldn't worry, right?

I forgot my /sarcasm font.

It would be far more concerning if this was the result of a directive from the top.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M

Good, the IRS did the right thing by admitting their mistake, went public with it, and are correcting the issue.

As mentioned, if true, it was by low level employees with a political bias and their actions are not a reflection of the organization as a whole.

let's move on here.

MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Act of God

you freaking scumbags!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-11-19-11-24

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Republican senator says she's disappointed that President Barack Obama hasn't personally condemned the Internal Revenue Service's targeting of conservative political groups during the 2012 election.

Sen. Susan Collins of Maine says Obama "needs to make crystal clear that this is totally unacceptable."

The agency blames low-level employees and says no senior officials were aware of the extra scrutiny to see if conservative groups were violating their tax-exempt status.

But a draft of a watchdog's report obtained Saturday by The Associated Press says senior officials knew agents were targeting tea party groups as early as 2011.

Collins tells CNN's "State of the Union" she doesn't "buy that this was a couple of rogue IRS employees."

She says the targeting is "absolutely chilling" and contributes to the public's "distrust" in government.
I'm so sick of this crapola

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."

Last edited by Act of God; 05-12-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Lair
Modded ///Member

Who's the watchdog group?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'm so sick of this crapola
Than I suggest you stop following politics. This is part and parcel of politics. Hoover's FBI investigation in to leftist radicals, Watergate, Iran-Contra, WhiteWater, etc... Not to mention that allegations of these type are even more common place.

If this is making you sick and you are going to continue following politics, you are going to be sick most of the time.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Than I suggest you stop following politics. This is part and parcel of politics. Hoover's FBI investigation in to leftist radicals, Watergate, Iran-Contra, WhiteWater, etc... Not to mention that allegations of these type are even more common place.

If this is making you sick and you are going to continue following politics, you are going to be sick most of the time.
I feel like I am proposing the same question constantly around here....so that makes it ok?

Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Who's the watchdog group?
AoG

MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
AoG

Yes I have finally successfully infiltrated the associated press!

Old 05-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
I feel like I am proposing the same question constantly around here....so that makes it ok?
It doesn't make it ok. But, it wasn't ok when virtually every administration going back decades (arguably since basically the founding of the country) has done something equally reprehensible. It is part and parcel of politics. Always has been, always will be.

That doesn't make it ok, but, it shouldn't be surprising either.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Act of God

Quote:
It doesn't make it ok. But, it wasn't ok when virtually every administration going back decades (arguably since basically the founding of the country) has done something equally reprehensible. It is part and parcel of politics. Always has been, always will be.

That doesn't make it ok, but, it shouldn't be surprising either.
Fair enough, but when they get caught they should get theirs

Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:

This.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Fair enough, but when they get caught they should get theirs
Abso-freakin-lutley
(Although they usually don't More this the pity.)